Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want a luggage rack for my Valk. But I'm just not crazy about the Honda OEM model because it's chrome and appears to have slats instead of bars. I would greatly prefer to find one in black that I know would fit. I would not know where to begin to fabricate one or even ask someone to do it for me. I don't even know anyone who does this.

I spotted these models on Ebay today:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Motorcycle-Black-Luggage-Shelf-Rack-Rear-Cargo-Rack-Strong-Structure/283690110149?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225086%26meid%3D95a54417cb5a4950a25da9b454a030e3%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D402175470943%26itm%3D283690110149%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A1a51b677-dc48-11ea-a2d9-74dbd180e504%7Cparentrq%3Ae09d75c31730ad4179312c47ffffb628%7Ciid%3A1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Moto...in-Luggage-Rack-Strong-Structure/402175470943

They both claim to work on the 2014 Valkyrie, but the mounting brackets seem to be horizontal rather than vertical, and I don't know if (1) horizontal brackets will work, and (2) if it's spaced properly to fit without modification. Anyone ever tried these or have any thoughts about their feasibility?

Appreciate any input.

Richmonder

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not crazy about that one either. I really want one with round framing to make it easier to attach bungee cords. Thanks though!

Richmonder

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
256 Posts
Have you checked out Dupli-Color shadow chrome? I thought of doing my mirrors with it when I first got the bike Google it, there is a video it looks pretty easy to kind of paint it yourself or I’m sure any body shop would do it for you... I’d buy a Sissy Bar and get it done at the same time in case you ever wanted one down the line

It’s 20 bucks on amazon

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My initial thought on that was, "Nah". But the more I looked at the videos, the more appealing that sounds. Would be nice to see that actually on the bike. But then I still have the issue of the flat slats instead of the round bars. I really would like to find something prefab, black and round that is manufactured to fit. I'll keep that option in my back pocket if I can't find what I'm looking for. Thanks Flat Six!

Richmonder

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
256 Posts
Oh yeah dude I feel ya the honda rack looks goofy as **** especially coming from H-D like I do... it like makes no sense with the rest of the bikes flow, however, the coolest thing is the 4 posts on the bottom for connecting a bunji-net that is SUPER useful

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My CTX 1300 luggage rack was perfect for that bike and not only flowed with the bike's looks but is also black and has a grain to its texture. For my black Valkyrie, I wish I could find a black, round frame rack that really fits the look. Honda designed this bike so extraordinarily well and I just don't get the design of the OEM rack. Looking at the models I linked above, do you think the attachment panels are at the right angle to bolt them on to the bike? It looks to me like the OEM panels are vertical, but the ones on these two models are horizontal.

Richmonder

·
Registered
65 Posts
I actually located a guy who sells on Etsy - he said if he gets the dimensions he will be able to fabricate one, I'm interested, happy to pass on the info if you wanna try with him , he comes with good reviews - Search for the shop - Edward Richie on Etsy ... .he does it for mostly Harley's, I have seen sissy bars done by him for something around $228 , let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
His stuff loooks like what I'm trying to accomplish, so I'm definitely interested. But getting him the specific dimensions may be tough. I don't know how the mounts need to be situated, how many holes, how big the holes should be, what angle they should be, etc. I don't really know how I want it to look - round iron, length, how many bars, whether to incorporate loops as in some I showed at the links above, etc. I have searched extensively for dimensions on the OEM but can't even find one for sale, much less the dimensions. And most of the ones I see seem to have vertical mounting plates that attach to a sissy bar, which I don't have.

I'm pretty flummoxed here.

Thanks for the lead! If you come up with a design, I'd like to see it. For my purposes, I want it in black, not too gaudy, that flows with the bike and fender. The OEM just doesn't look like it belongs on this bike, to me. And of course I want to protect the fender and other parts from any damage by the rack, so it would have to float above them or have rubber supports.

Richmonder

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way, the luggage rack also requires mounting hardware, which also is chrome on the OEM stuff. So unless he can fab some mounting hardware as well, I don't see how he can build this for us. He almost certainly would need prototypes to model from, wouldn't he?

Richmonder

·
Registered
65 Posts
I will draw something up , if I can cough up the time and send it his way for review.. will keep you posted , and yes , I'm looking to fix the luggage rack , sissy bar and back rest - the whole 9 yards,

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a number of concerns. One, how can he create something without specific measurements and attachment points? Two, in my case, he'll have to create mounting hardware as well, since black on chrome OEM won't look good and I'm not doing a backrest. I don't know how he'll know how to do this. Three, if the design you submit is not to my liking, then I'm back to square one. Four, we must be certain that the hardware and rack itself do not rub or touch other parts that would be damaged if they did.

As to design, I'm kind of looking for something just a little larger than OEM in the structure seen on the links in my initial post. The OEM looks just a little small to hold much. Maybe an extra inch or two longer.

Just hard for me to comprehend how he will build something with no bike or prototype from which to start.

Richmonder

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After giving this subject a lot of time and consideration, looking at all the possibilities, etc., I have finally come to the conclusion that the only thing that works for me is the OEM. I don't like it much. I'd prefer a black one with round bars instead of chrome with slats. But fab'ing one to fit the bike is way above my pay grade, and I'm not sure anyone else can do it without exact dimensions and some idea of what I want, which frankly I really don't know. I just wish the OEM would flow better with the bike's lines and color.

There was a unit with mounting hardware for sale on Ebay from a dealer in Troy, OH, at about the lowest price I had seen, of $298.99 plus $11 shipping. I noticed it had been out there awhile, so I called them today to see if they'd make me a deal on it. Anything helps. So they covered the phone mic with their hand and I could hear spirited discussion going in the background, and after a 5 minute wait, they came back and said $275 plus $25 shipping (note they increased the shipping by $10). Saves about $12. I guess by charging more for the shipping, they don't have to pay tax on it or something. Anyway, the price was already as low as I'd seen, and a $10 reduction was enough to get me to buy. It's to be delivered soon.

So now I can install the bags and the rack at the same time without having to remove the seat twice. And I have hex bits coming today to save me all the manual wrenching.

I'm pretty pumped to finally be getting everything on it. I really don't feel confident in my ability to install all this, but we'll give it a shot!

Richmonder

Reactions: Flat Six

·
Registered
181 Posts
Take the rack & mount to a good powder coating shop. Blast all that chrome off & coat in a nice satin black ...... You'll be happy ... :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I concur the stock rack kinda sucks... It's functional enough but the look is shitty to me and the width is no where near what I wanted. But currently I'm stuck with it.
Crabballs, that rack you fabricated is amazing! great work! Very functional and I like the look very much!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I concur the stock rack kinda sucks... It's functional enough but the look is shitty to me and the width is no where near what I wanted. But currently I'm stuck with it.
Crabballs, that rack you fabricated is amazing! great work! Very functional and I like the look very much!

Thanks. I never thought the OEM rack was very functional so I was forced to design my own for maximum utility. Plus, I refuse to pay those exorbitant prices for that crap. And the best thing it is so strong I can strap a full keg of beer to it without hesitation.:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts