Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an altercation with an axe today that made a bit of a mess of my foot. The one time you don’t put your boots on, huh? 😡. Don’t cut corners guys …. at this end of our lives we need to safeguard all the riding days/years we can!! I was extremely lucky it wasn’t much worse as the axe was razor sharp. Took a piece out of a tendon but didn’t sever anything. Still, having anaesthetic injections and stitching between your toes is a real barrel of laughs 😏. Made me all the more determined to go ATGATT when riding too…. was getting a little casual in my thinking about that. Not any more 😎.

·
Super Moderator
927 Posts
Geepers, I'm sorry to hear this, and thankful it wasn't worse. I know it must hurt like a bear. Ben Franklin said it best - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Advice I've tried to follow throughout my life. Though not always!

Richmonder

·
Registered
357 Posts
Geez, Geepers, you brought back a forgotten memory. Me and two friends (we're all about 20-21 yrs. old., in college together) went camping in a dry river bed in Iowa. Got there after dark and had to set up camp in near total darkness until we got a fire going. I had just sharpened my axe that morning ("always be prepared") and found some driftwood to cut up. Put my (thick leather booted) foot on top of a limb on the ground, swung at it, and it slipped on some moss on the limb and embedded itself through my boot, into my foot, and into the big joint of my left big toe bone. Didn't even hurt, the axe was so sharp, but I knew that that kind of force was going to have left a mark. Told me friends, "I think I need to go to a hospital", as blood started to come out the slash AND the top of my left ankle-high boot. They had to carry me all the way back to the car, up a super steep hill, and to the doctor's home-office in a small town (one of my friend's home town) at 3 A.M. I won't make this post longer by more detail, but it was an interesting night. Hope you are as lucky as I was, Geepers. I still have a scar over fifty years later, but still have ten toes, too. Heal fast!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Geez, Geepers, you brought back a forgotten memory. Me and two friends (we're all about 20-21 yrs. old., in college together) went camping in a dry river bed in Iowa. Got there after dark and had to set up camp in near total darkness until we got a fire going. I had just sharpened my axe that morning ("always be prepared") and found some driftwood to cut up. Put my (thick leather booted) foot on top of a limb on the ground, swung at it, and it slipped on some moss on the limb and embedded itself through my boot, into my foot, and into the big joint of my left big toe bone. Didn't even hurt, the axe was so sharp, but I knew that that kind of force was going to have left a mark. Told me friends, "I think I need to go to a hospital", as blood started to come out the slash AND the top of my left ankle-high boot. They had to carry me all the way back to the car, up a super steep hill, and to the doctor's home-office in a small town (one of my friend's home town) at 3 A.M. I won't make this post longer by more detail, but it was an interesting night. Hope you are as lucky as I was, Geepers. I still have a scar over fifty years later, but still have ten toes, too. Heal fast!
Yikes! That was close! And I know exactly how you felt - my injury didn’t really hurt either but when I separated my toes and was able to look right inside my foot I thought “er, this ain’t good Mr Geepers” 😅. Yes, like you, I was incredibly lucky - a whisker away from some really nasty damage 🙏🏻. Cheers Kugo 😜👍🏼

·
Super Moderator
927 Posts
As a friend of mine always says to me when riding opportunities present:

Richmonder

Reactions: Geepers
1 - 12 of 12 Posts