Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to go cheap on Amazon with some black mirrors as I’m kind of de-chroming my bike. I relearned Avery valuable lesson. You get what you pay for! The mirrors looked great although the black faded pretty quick but that was ok. The problem is that the glue that holds the lense in softened and the lense fell out. The glue then dripped all over my paint creating a mess. I hope it is cheap enough to clean off easily but I doubt it.
Blue Azure Liquid World Art

·
Registered
379 Posts
Tried to go cheap on Amazon with some black mirrors as I’m kind of de-chroming my bike. I relearned Avery valuable lesson. You get what you pay for! The mirrors looked great although the black faded pretty quick but that was ok. The problem is that the glue that holds the lense in softened and the lense fell out. The glue then dripped all over my paint creating a mess. I hope it is cheap enough to clean off easily but I doubt it. View attachment 12680
Yikes:oops:...I hope it cleans up without any paint damage.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Holy cow. What a disaster. I'd be yelling expletives so loud I'd hey kicked out of the neighborhood. Be careful with whatever solvent you use. You're probably going to have to apply some pressure to get that stuff off. Don't damage the paint in the process. I hope you come out of this unscathed!

Richmonder

·
Registered
500 Posts
Others may disagree with me, but I'd stay out of the sun while doing that. It will heat up the metal, paint and clear coat and could make it susceptible to damage from the rubbing of whatever solvent you use, however minimally bad it might be on paint. I'd do it in the shade.

Richmonder

·
Registered
266 Posts
A local auto repair place might have some good ideas. There are products like GOOF OFF and GOO BE GONE that may work and also my personal favorite, 91% rubbing alcohol. Doing it in the shades is a good idea. The heat of the sun my drive off any solvent before it has a chance to work. You can always try the sun method later if all else fails.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would say the opposite as others and I'd use a hairdryer... that typically weakens the glue bonds and should make it easier to remove. Hope that whatever you do, it goes well for you!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think my best route will be try a little daytime heat with nothing else to soften it and get off what I can, then in the shade use a solvent to remove any residue. Unfortunately I am working long shifts today and tomorrow so it will be Friday when I get to find out… thanks for all the advice

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Tried to go cheap on Amazon with some black mirrors as I’m kind of de-chroming my bike. I relearned Avery valuable lesson. You get what you pay for! The mirrors looked great although the black faded pretty quick but that was ok. The problem is that the glue that holds the lense in softened and the lense fell out. The glue then dripped all over my paint creating a mess. I hope it is cheap enough to clean off easily but I doubt it. View attachment 12680
Wow. Sorry man.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts