Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to replace a key? What is the experience with buying the blank and finding someone to cut it vs ordering the high dollar key from my local powersports retailer?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone had to replace a key? What is the experience with buying the blank and finding someone to cut it vs ordering the high dollar key from my local powersports retailer?
I purchased several key blanks and had my local Ace store cut them and none of them worked in the ignition because of the extremely tight tolerances in my switch. I had to go to a local locksmith and he spent 2 hours making just a couple of keys. He first cut them on his automated key machine putting in the codes, then used a hand machine to tweak them and then had to lightly hand file each one just to get them to work. Each key would open the gas tank lock but the ignition lock was another story. He spent so much time I actually tipped him and brought him a smoke chicken the next day as a thank you. Watching him spend two hours working on them I didn't think we was going to be successful. The locksmith has been in the trade for 30 plus years and told me Honda has the tightest tolerance of anyone and can be the most difficult to duplicate. Hopefully your will be easier to duplicate than mine were. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I purchased several key blanks and had my local Ace store cut them and none of them worked in the ignition because of the extremely tight tolerances in my switch. I had to go to a local locksmith and he spent 2 hours making just a couple of keys. He first cut them on his automated key machine putting in the codes, then used a hand machine to tweak them and then had to lightly hand file each one just to get them to work. Each key would open the gas tank lock but the ignition lock was another story. He spent so much time I actually tipped him and brought him a smoke chicken the next day as a thank you. Watching him spend two hours working on them I didn't think we was going to be successful. The locksmith has been in the trade for 30 plus years and told me Honda has the tightest tolerance of anyone and can be the most difficult to duplicate. Hopefully your will be easier to duplicate than mine were. :)
It's all in the operator of the key cut machine. Local ACE was poifect.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had Ace make me two keys that only worked in the gas lid release and refunded my money. Then I tried an eBay vendor with the same results. The good news is that I have two original keys. I cut down the head of one of the eBay keys, put a knob on it, and leave it in the lock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and THAT is what I am afraid of most.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Let's not forget the ignition key is also used for the helmet lock and the storage compartment door on the right side.

Richmonder

·
Registered
540 Posts
and gas cap door
It had already been mentioned so I didn't include the gas cap door. I think people tend to forget about the helmet lock and storage door. But if you're going to have keys made, make sure they work in all four places.

Richmonder

Reactions: RRoy

·
Registered
9 Posts
It had already been mentioned so I didn't include the gas cap door. I think people tend to forget about the helmet lock and storage door. But if you're going to have keys made, make sure they work in all four places.

Richmonder
Good reminder. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a mobile locksmith make me a key once. Took him ~45 mins. He used a different blank than the spec one, but ground it down into shape for the lock. It worked in all 4 locks. I had copies of this key made using the fancy Honda key at a locksmith, and both work in all 4 key holes.

I also paid full price (~30 bucks each) for the fancy Honda blanks.

Reading the comments, looks like I got lucky.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nope.

You can Paypal as a Gift or Friend.

Or give me your address and I'll send them and you send me a check?
I don't have paypal but I may have a check left from 2003! Send them to my office at 1635 County Hospital Road, Nashville TN 37218 Attn: BOB and I will get you covered. Thank you, Sir.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't have paypal but I may have a check left from 2003! Send them to my office at 1635 County Hospital Road, Nashville TN 37218 Attn: BOB and I will get you covered. Thank you, Sir.
ACTUALLY, I will sign up for paypal. What's another cash app and it will probably be useful.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts