Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so last week I had the issue with the kill switch not letting the bike start in the cold. Fixed that. Now for two mornings in a row, the key simply would not turn. It goes in the ignition and won't turn it. I got home yesterday afternoon and it worked so I figured the motorcycle gods had smiled down upon me and fixed the issue. Then this freezing ass morning I find out that is not true as once again the key will not turn.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ok so last week I had the issue with the kill switch not letting the bike start in the cold. Fixed that. Now for two mornings in a row, the key simply would not turn. It goes in the ignition and won't turn it. I got home yesterday afternoon and it worked so I figured the motorcycle gods had smiled down upon me and fixed the issue. Then this freezing ass morning I find out that is not true as once again the key will not turn.
Maybe a shot of lock lubricant or wd-40 will help.
What did you have to do to fix the kill switch?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Opened up the switch housing, sprayed it down with lots of contact cleaner and closed it back up with a bead of rtv

·
Registered
133 Posts
are you in cold weather ?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Is lock lube safe on an ignition switch? What with the electrical connections and all?

All I can say is I ram CRC or WD40 into various bits up on the bars and the locks from time to time with nothing but problem solving results.

85000k + and nothing has burnt down but all my stuff works just fine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
This message string saved my day today. Was getting ready to head out to a Patriot Guard Riders mission for a Vietnam veteran, when I found that the key would indeed go in, but wouldn't turn in either direction. Tried flipping the key, also the spare key (both worked ok in the side panel for the fuel door release, tried pulling it slightly out, handlebars in various positions, in and out of neutral, but no luck. Called Honda dealership and was able to get someone from Parts on the phone even before they opened, but after some troubleshooting, he thought the ignition might need to be replaced. DRAT! I had a neighbor come over for another eyes-on opinion, and after discussing many of the things I tried already, he suggested I check discussion boards. So I came here, entered 'key' in the search box, and this string came up as the 3rd choice. After reading this string, I put a spray tube on a can of electronic contact cleaner, gave it a couple shots in the key hole, and whallah! I guess a tumbler was jammed from debris or rust. I'll be carrying a small can in my saddlebag for a while, and will give the Kill Switch a shot while I have it out too, as I've seen multiple reports of that switch notoriously misbehaving with age. Made it to the mission a little late but it all worked out. Special thanks to STLLOU and Shrubbo. SOOOOOO glad this didn't happen out in the boonies somewhere or on an out of state trip!!! Perhaps giving the keyhole a shot will be part of my oil change routine...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts