Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

Keep it or sell it?

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  DillPickle311 
#1 ·
I took the Valk out for a quick ride through town this evening. I have been thinking about selling since I really never get much of a chance to ride it. I bought it in September with 1 mile on it. As I parked it this evening, I now only have 487 miles. I just don't ride like I used to due to a few issues. Work schedule really gets in the way of riding and I have back issues that keep me from riding sometimes. So now I am trying to decide if I want to sell it or keep it. It's an awesome bike, but doesn't it deserve to be ridden more often? Some decisions in life drive me crazy. This is one of them.

#2 ·
1st. Find a way to ride more. You say your work schedule keeps you from riding? Why not ride the bike to work? Use it to commute.

2nd. The bike doesn't deserve anything. It is an inanimate object. It doesn't care if it is ridden or not. You don't owe the bike anything. That is your bike to use as you see fit. If you only ride it 500 miles a year, so be it. That's 500 miles more enjoyment you had that you wouldn't have had otherwise.

I say keep it. Unless you are going to stop riding completely, or really need the money, there is really no reason to sell it.

#10 ·
I was going to just hit the "like" button and move on, but this response was exactly what I would have written back to answer your question, just worded better. If money or health isn't a final factor, keep it and enjoy knowing you can go for a ride whenever you really feel like it. It's like an insurance policy on your mental health! (And I'll bet there is a day coming up this season where you'd be pretty bummed that you couldn't take out the Valk for a quick spin if you decide to sell it. You rarely read of riders who regret keeping a bike too long. It's always, "Boy, I wish I hadn't sold my...")

#5 ·
I say sell it!

Life is too short to own something that sits. Take the money from the sale and do something you're passionate about.

There is absolutely no reason to feel bad about it. You have realized this and now someone else should own it and ride.

You may change your mind in the future when you have more time and get another bike.

#7 ·
All good points fellas. I don't need the money, but could use it elsewhere. I haven't even thought what a fair price would be for it to know how much money i would lose....if any. I do love it and have another bike in the garage that I love as well. It is currently for sale too. I will miss both bikes if they both sold. I would miss either one individually as well. It's a tough decision for me. I can't remember a time since I was about 19 of not having a bike in the family. Started at 15 but once I had my first car and went in the military I had to let the bike go. Then I bought another at 19 or 20. Riding ever since then. For 3 years I only owned a motorcycle. I guess time will tell. I do love to ride and even though it isn't often, I still like having the option. I am in no hurry to sell either bike.

#9 ·
I must ride. I rode all afternoon yesterday and watched guys fishing and golfing. We've had an abundance of rain and everyone was out for the clear day that we had. We all have to have something(hobby/past time) that gives us joy and riding is mine. I can say that I'm a motorcycle riding nut but that description does not do it justice.

I've loved all the motorcycles that I've owned and fact is, if all I could have is a scooter, I'd be wearing it out.

The valk is in the garage. It's in the way. It's hard to get around it but it has a special place in my life. Of course my wife comes first as 'special place'. She claims our dog is first... LOL!

That silly motorcycle is the cat's meow. IT is the icing on everything. I sometimes think... "I can't die, I wouldn't be able to ride"!

I look forward to going to heaven to hug on Jesus but surely He understands how I feel. 0:)

#11 ·
I must ride. I rode all afternoon yesterday and watched guys fishing and golfing...We all have to have something(hobby/past time) that gives us joy and riding is mine. I can say that I'm a motorcycle riding nut but that description does not do it justice.
Same. It's a daily thing for me. At the moment it's hot here so I go out late afternoon / early evening. Beautiful. I ride as long as I can (wife doesn't get home from work until about 7pm ;)) and when I finally park it up I love that feeling of having ridden. Tired, a bit sore, but the best, calm feeling I get from nothing else. Addiction? Probably. But as someone said to me the other day, there's worse things to be addicted to. As I said in a previous post, I've given up trying to explain the allure of riding to me. It's mighty powerful though.

#13 ·
Life is better on two wheels! I am 51 and have owned a motorcycle ever since I was 19 (with the exception of 5 years in the mix). I use the Valk as a commuter and weekend thing with the wife. I also own 6 bicycles...road, mountain, gravel and tandem. As I said, life is better on two wheels!!

Keep the Valk. ONe day your circumstances may change and you may be able to get on board more often. If not, like someone said, it will be a great barn find later.....

#14 ·
Great words from KUGO. I have 3 bikes and have put less than 1000 miles on all three combined last year. My '74 360 was my first bike and I bought it new. My '78 GL1000 is classically beautiful, perfect condition and I could never replace it and my 2015 Valk is simply a fabulous cruiser that I seem to fit into perfectly. I wouldn't sell any of these bikes for anything. I often think about it but in the end I realize I would regret not having them. You need to keep your Valk and ride it when you want. 500 miles a year with a smile on your face is better than the money in your pocket.

#15 ·
Well I think I'm in mourning.

This is the third season I've had my Valk, and there are just over 3600 miles on the odo. Pretty pathetic. Not much more than that on the CTX1300 I totaled before that, and even fewer on the Thunderbird I traded for the CTX. It's a pattern I've been trying not to acknowledge for most of the last 10 years, but it's finally time to face reality -- riding is just not important to me any more. And money has been getting a bit too tight these last few years with the kids' school loans and other growing expenses, so something has to give. It makes no sense to be paying on a loan and insurance for a bike that I basically need to force myself to ride maybe half a dozen times a year. Nothing wrong with the bike, it's an awesome machine -- I've just lost my desire to ride.

I took one last one-way trip to the dealers today to leave it on consignment. I'm not having any regrets, but it's kind of a big life change being the first time in over 30 years I've been without a bike. Hanging around the dealer waiting for my ride home, I had plenty of time to keep mulling it over (already done plenty of mulling before now, but it's different after the deed is done), and it's the right decision, even though it's like saying goodbye to an old friend. More like saying goodbye to what was once a fairly big part of my life and having to concede that it's now become just an unnecessary overhead.

Just venting here. I'm sure I'll get over it after a week or so of not seeing it in the garage. But right now I'm kinda sad. I can always go find something else sometime down the road if I have a change of heart and the situation changes. But for now, for the first time in a long time, I'm just another non-rider again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.