Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, got almost 5k miles on the bike and it looks like it's time to change the tire... I thought I would get at least another 2k out of it. It has a few miles left in it. But down to the wear bars on either side of centerline.

The rear tire looks about 45 to 50% which is about what I would expect.

Air pressure has been 38psi, the tires are the original 2014 stock tires, perhaps the extra age to the tires contributed but... Wow... Just sooner than I expected.

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
I think it must have to do with road surface as I got 20,000km out of my original tyres and could have easily got another 2,000km. Most of my riding is on very smooth asphalt.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Could be the roads you're riding. Rough asphalt will just chew up a tire. It could also be an aggressive riding style.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't feel like I ride aggressively... My riding abilities currently limit my aggressiveness... I would say 50% back roads 55 to 65 mph 25% highway 75 to 85 mph and 25% twisty mountain roads. Most of which occur on good pavement or concrete mostly numbered routes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Man, got almost 5k miles on the bike and it looks like it's time to change the tire... I thought I would get at least another 2k out of it. It has a few miles left in it. But down to the wear bars on either side of centerline.

Air pressure has been 38psi, the tires are the original 2014 stock tires, perhaps the extra age to the tires contributed but... Wow... Just sooner than I expected.

Looks exactly like mine did after 12,300 miles. Got close to 18K on the original rear and it looks good. I now run my tires at 40-42 PSI as it makes the tire wear more evenly. The good new about tire wear on the Valk is I figured out how to make my tires last a lot longer! I bought a new Goldwing Tour DCT Saturday. Now I can split the use between both bikes to keep the miles down on the Valk.

·
Registered
127 Posts

looks like mine at about the same mileage. I went with the Dunlop roadsmart 3

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm very jealous

I'm loving the new bike for sure. I'll tell you that the Valk is still an amazing bike, that's why I'm not letting it go. Gotta say the mirrors on the Valk totally suck compared to the ones on the new bike. I'll be getting mew mirrors for the Valk. Hopefully tire wear on the new bike will be good and I get many miles between changes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I need to earn more :(

Re the mirrors on the GW: clearly more viewing area than the Valkyrie's. Anything else?

I must admit I have always been searching for that hidden extra gear on the Valk.:) It's nice to be doing 70 @ 2,200 RPMs in 7th gear!!!:D I'm not complaining about the Valk, I love it as it is a totally unique animal that's loads of fun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My front tire was shot at 6000 mi- Rear went 11500mi I Used a shinko 777 Bias same size as oe on front, It went 14,000 mi, Felt good Just put another same thing on 400 mi ago I Used a Shinko 009 raven on rear, Got about 9500 mi on it still going- Total 20,500 mi in about 13 1/2 months! Stiffer fork springs Help bike greatly

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just had a Michelin commander 2 put on this morning.

Looking forward to what should be a better tire. Time and miles will tell. I have seen lots of good reviews on this forum and others for this tire. Hopefully it will suit my riding style.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My front tire was shot at 6000 mi- Rear went 11500mi I Used a shinko 777 Bias same size as oe on front, It went 14,000 mi, Felt good Just put another same thing on 400 mi ago I Used a Shinko 009 raven on rear, Got about 9500 mi on it still going- Total 20,500 mi in about 13 1/2 months! Stiffer fork springs Help bike greatly
I had very good luck with Shinkos on my V45 Magna, surprising life for the amount of stickiness, and the mechanic mounting them remarked that it was the only tire he's seen that balanced perfectly without adding any weights. For the Valk, I was looking at the Shinko 016 Verge 2X 180/55ZR17 dual compound for $147 at Bike Bandit, after I mount and try out this Michelin Commander II that I have in waiting... Let us know how the Shinko 009 Raven lives out it's life.

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
just back from another epic 3.5k ride. this is original stock Dunlop front tire has 11.3k smiles on it now and I will nurse another couple thou out of it.. I set tire pressure 42psi front and back. the rear is plenty good and will easily go 15-18k.. I should take pic of that tire.
if you look close you will see that at present the Right side of the tire is showing the flat wear pattern typical of road crown scrubbage.. why the Right side, you may ask? No, I have not been down under or over the pond.. Well, I just pulled the wheel off and turned it around so I could scrub what tread is left on the new Left side of this tire.. yeah , the tread pattern is backward. so is the rotation.. somebody is going to chime in and say "you can't do that". and I will respond "No, you cant do that". I can do wtf I want, its not the first tire I've ever rode reverse rotation. and I don't beat on my machines, so much so that I have to worry about failures.. I just coax and nurse the most smileage out of them and their performance. 11.3k is not too bad for < 6months riding.
Oct/Nov I will point it east toward them smokies mountains and go do my annual tree hugger run up the blue ridge. that's worth another 4k. I do have a new set of Dunlop Elites sitting waiting for their turn on this aerosled. poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
just back from another epic 3.5k ride. this is original stock Dunlop front tire has 11.3k smiles on it now and I will nurse another couple thou out of it.. I set tire pressure 42psi front and back. the rear is plenty good and will easily go 15-18k.. I should take pic of that tire.
if you look close you will see that at present the Right side of the tire is showing the flat wear pattern typical of road crown scrubbage.. why the Right side, you may ask? No, I have not been down under or over the pond.. Well, I just pulled the wheel off and turned it around so I could scrub what tread is left on the new Left side of this tire.. yeah , the tread pattern is backward. so is the rotation.. somebody is going to chime in and say "you can't do that". and I will respond "No, you cant do that". I can do wtf I want, its not the first tire I've ever rode reverse rotation. and I don't beat on my machines, so much so that I have to worry about failures.. I just coax and nurse the most smileage out of them and their performance. 11.3k is not too bad for < 6months riding.
Oct/Nov I will point it east toward them smokies mountains and go do my annual tree hugger run up the blue ridge. that's worth another 4k. I do have a new set of Dunlop Elites sitting waiting for their turn on this aerosled. poncho
Very interesting, Poncho. I've never considered doing that on my bikes. Just assumed that was a bad move. Any perception of handling changes? I have just under 7k miles on mine, OEM still on both ends, and both of them look barely used. Nicely scuffed in, maybe, but tons of tread left. And I was looking forward to them wearing out because I wanted to try the Michelin Pilot GTs I've heard others rave about, but I'm actually not unhappy with the Dunlops' performance.

I posted a question a couple years ago, on another forum, about the tread pattern differences in front and rear motorcycle tires. When I compare them to car tires' treads, it seems that the front motorcycle tire is "backwards" with its tread design. (Don't know if I'm making myself clear enough. Picture a road awash in water and the direction of the water as it hits the tire. Which way does the water go? To minimize hydroplaning, and increase traction I assume.) No one had any kind of intelligent response to my question, other than an admitted "dunno". Thoughts? Again, any differences in handling with your flip move?

·
Registered
547 Posts
kg, you are not too far from engineer design criteria. some folks have issues with the Belt pattern more so than the tread. Tread design is to move water out from under what little rubber patch mc tires put down on the road. for the most part, Don't ride on wet roads, eliminates that issue. but considering how little tread depth these tires have and by time they get questionable, they basically are a slick/ aka no tread left. so tread becomes a mute issue.
So let us move on toward Belt pattern issue. Front tires experience most flex inertia from Hard Braking. Rear tires experience most flex inertia from Hard Accelerating. So front and rear tires are made with opposing belt patterns and perhaps that might (?) explain opposite tread patterns. who knows, who cares?
these Z rated tires have some crazy high speed numbers for operation. who the fk drives this fast? on public streets? back to reverse rotation tread/ belt patterns. they work fine. if your not riding stupid crazy, keep the numbers in double digits.. I have gone through dozens of mc tires rolling backward. never a problem.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts