1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
782 Posts
In my opinion, no cooler bike was ever built. It has an interesting story behind what Honda told its engineers, in that their directive was basically no restrictions on design, damn the cost. My dentist had one for a while, and while he loved it, he said it was a beast to jockey around a parking lot. And if anyone thinks our Valks are hard to accessorize, you can't find many for this! And I can't even imagine defacing this bike with saddlebags. There was one for sale in the Richmond area about 6 months ago, and it sat unsold for a while. Jay Leno owns one. Someday, I'd love to ride one for a day, but I have no desire to ever own one.

Richmonder

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think this bike is very cool, just not very practical. It is beautiful though. It'd be fun for a collector.

I might have to stop in there and take a look.
The Rune is holding it’s value, it’s been at that price for a few years.
I wonder what they give me on my Valkyrie on a trade in I would love to own a Rune.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my opinion, no cooler bike was ever built. It has an interesting story behind what Honda told its engineers, in that their directive was basically no restrictions on design, damn the cost. My dentist had one for a while, and while he loved it, he said it was a beast to jockey around a parking lot. And if anyone thinks our Valks are hard to accessorize, you can't find many for this! And I can't even imagine defacing this bike with saddlebags. There was one for sale in the Richmond area about 6 months ago, and it sat unsold for a while. Jay Leno owns one. Someday, I'd love to ride one for a day, but I have no desire to ever own one.

Richmonder
I think that's about where I come out too, Craig. It is a work of art, but given it's size, I can't imagine maneuvering one around a parking lot. Beautiful to look at though. I'd need more garage space. 😂

·
Registered
145 Posts
There used to be an Aussie on here, Leaper or Peeper or something, who used to be quite taken by the Rune. In my narrow-minded opinion, it's just a more elegant version of those Boss Hoss caricatures. Great conversation pieces for the local bike night, but not very practical transportation.YMMV.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There used to be an Aussie on here, Leaper or Peeper or something, who used to be quite taken by the Rune. In my narrow-minded opinion, it's just a more elegant version of those Boss Hoss caricatures. Great conversation pieces for the local bike night, but not very practical transportation.YMMV.
I completely agree with your reply! Thanks! Dan

·
Registered
115 Posts
Great conversation pieces for the local bike night, but not very practical transportation.YMMV.
If practicality is a criterion, I'm afraid a Royal Enfield 350 for about $4,700 should fit the bill for most everyone. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
If practicality is a criterion, I'm afraid a Royal Enfield 350 for about $4,700 should fit the bill for most everyone. :)
I've been intrigued by that bike since it was featured in the documentary about "Riding solo to the Top of the World". I want to test ride it and the newer 650 twin from that manufacturer, to use as a local runabout. None of the Honda 125s appeal to me, either for performance expectations or nostalgia. ABS on a 125cc is a bit of overkill, methinks. :D

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been intrigued by that bike since it was featured in the documentary about "Riding solo to the Top of the World". I want to test ride it and the newer 650 twin from that manufacturer, to use as a local runabout. None of the Honda 125s appeal to me, either for performance expectations or nostalgia. ABS on a 125cc is a bit of overkill, methinks. :D
Also, Noraly Schoenmaker of the Itchy Boots channel rode a couple of seasons on the Royal Enfields. She put quite a few miles on the two bikes she had, but now she's riding a Honda 300 CRF Rally. She's riding from Patagonia to the Alaska and is in Panama right now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think that's about where I come out too, Craig. It is a work of art, but given it's size, I can't imagine maneuvering one around a parking lot. Beautiful to look at though. I'd need more garage space. 😂
Umm, it is a second gen Valkyrie, it is not that much bigger than a 3rd gen Valkyrie from 2014. They have the same engine, transmission, final drive internals, and I THINK they even use the same frame. Its like what, like 1.5" longer and 44lbs heavier? Probably mostly from that complex front suspension and the massive rear fender.

I would be curious about the riding it though, the local bike dealer has one for sale that has never been purchased or even started. He claims the front end was specifically designed not to dive under hard braking.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts