Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Valkyrie
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my riding buddies rides a Super Tenere and he's been motorcycle racing since his teens. We were on a group ride together and pulled up to a stoplight with the two of us in the lead. It was on. I got him on the jump but he pulled ahead in second gear by about 10 yards. He held that lead until we decelerated. I challenged him twice more with the same results.

The newer Valkyrie is listed consistently in the top 3-5 cruisers for 0-60, so the first time surprised me. The next couple of times, I chalked it up to a few factors; 1) The Valkyrie is listed at 3.4 seconds while the Super Tenere is listed a 3.2 seconds. Duh! It's a faster bike than I was aware. 2) The experience and skill of the riders and, 3) I believe that I stayed in 1st gear too long. He always pulled ahead in 2nd gear. I'd like to have one more shot. :sneaky:

I don't mind losing as long as I'm having fun, :cool:

·
Registered
669 Posts
It matters nothing to me that the Valk isn't THE fastest bike out there. It turns in a VERY respectable 0-60 time of 3.4 seconds, which blows away most anything in its class and just about everything else that isn't designed for extreme speed. I have no interest in racing anyone, and I see no point in a contest of who has the faster bike. The stats are out there for anyone interested, and I'm not going to be one to try to refute them. It even beats many Porsches. For me, just knowing it has the torque to remove a stump and cruise effortlessly at 60 mph at 3,000 rpm's is enough. What more could we want, really? I guess it comes down to what you want your bike to do. I just want a street bike with reliability, looks and power, generally in that order. The Valk covers all that, and well.

Richmonder

·
Registered
2014 Valkyrie
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not one who has to win. I just like to twist the throttle and have fun. We took our bikes to 100 mph just because. I still need to find a straight road with no cops to top it out; not because I have something to prove, but because it's fun.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Re-reading my earlier post, I hope I didn't come across as judgmental or critical. I was just stating my own style. If you want to know about top end, Smitty can tell you a thing or two about that!

Richmonder

·
Registered
530 Posts
I just want a street bike with reliability, looks and power, generally in that order. The Valk covers all that, and well.
Glad you had some fun with your Valkyrie, these bikes are fun for sure. Richmonder nailed it, the Valkyrie does everything well with reliability. Maybe not the fastest, but respectable for a cruiser.
I rode the entire length of Pinellas County beaches yesterday, nothing spectacular in miles and not my kind of slow city riding although I must say this bike IMPRESSED me once again. Almost the entire early morning ride, speed limit was 30-35mph. The impressive part was I remained in 5th gear for the entire ride with exception of stops. Lugging at 1500rpm @ 35mph and simply roll that throttle when needed no shifting required. I do wish we had a 6th gear for highway/top end. This bike is pretty solid and does everything well for a cruiser.

·
Registered
2014 Valkyrie
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did notice I could climb mountain roads in 5th gear without dowshifting as with my VTX1800.

The only issue that I encountered was hitting the false neutral between 4th and 5th gear when downshifting. It happened sometimes in a curve, which was hairy.

·
Registered
360 Posts
One of my riding buddies rides a Super Tenere and he's been motorcycle racing since his teens. We were on a group ride together and pulled up to a stoplight with the two of us in the lead. It was on. I got him on the jump but he pulled ahead in second gear by about 10 yards. He held that lead until we decelerated. I challenged him twice more with the same results.

The newer Valkyrie is listed consistently in the top 3-5 cruisers for 0-60, so the first time surprised me. The next couple of times, I chalked it up to a few factors; 1) The Valkyrie is listed at 3.4 seconds while the Super Tenere is listed a 3.2 seconds. Duh! It's a faster bike than I was aware. 2) The experience and skill of the riders and, 3) I believe that I stayed in 1st gear too long. He always pulled ahead in 2nd gear. I'd like to have one more shot. :sneaky:

I don't mind losing as long as I'm having fun, :cool:
Have you tried that matchup while starting in 2nd gear and skipping that first shift? FYI, in some literature, Honda refers to 1st gear as a 'walking gear' and I very rarely use it. Hang on tight!!!:cool:

Reactions: BikerDude

·
Registered
45 Posts
For the next event, hook a rope up between them and see which is the master of low end torque.

Reactions: BikerDude
1 - 10 of 10 Posts