Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine and I weighed all our bikes yesterday.
We had planned to do it one day when we had all 4 machines in one place, and it finally happened.

I'll just cut to the chase:

2014 Valkyrie, LiFe battery, oem Windshield, gps, oem saddle bags (solo), breakaway throttle lock, lower driving lights, corbin seat, belly pan, tire repair kit (including air compressor)
782 lbs

2003 VTX 1800, solo seat, oem windshield, some kind of side air intake
794 lbs

2021 CRF300L (lots of mods)
307 lbs

2016 WR250R (lots of mods, more than the crf)
309 lbs

I happen to have a set of portable automotive scales I bought years ago for a project, so we used those, they're pretty darn accurate (also built a simple set of ramps and wooden pads to roll the bikes onto the scales).
All bikes were full of fluids, ready to ride.

Both of us were surprised how heavy the dual sports are, we thought they'd be under 300lbs each, especially the yamaha.
I was within 3 lbs (guessing) of what my Valk would weigh (I guessed around 785lbs)
Both the Valk and CRF were modded keeping in mind weight, trying to keep both as low as possible (all unnecessary weight removed where practical) the battery alone removed (I think) around 10-12 lbs.

Last bike I weighed a few years ago now
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 (lots of mods, trying to keep as lights as possible, it was preordered and delivered in 2020)
455 lbs (dissapointingly way too heavy for real off road, for me anyways, not a good bike to learn off-roading on. If you have the skill, its an amazing bike)

What does your bike weigh?

Tazmool

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think most if not all manufacturers always understate the weights of their bikes (or they just report absolute best case scenario).
Even a curb weight, or ready to ride weight as stated is not super clear (example, how much fuel is ready to ride, 1 gallon? 2? full tank? )

At 752 lbs, I think that would be a 100% stock Valkyrie, maybe non ABS, and maybe not a full tank of fuel.

Nearly all mods add weight as well, and it adds up.

Here is what my bike has that adds weight:
GPS, gps mount, gps wiring harness
Fog lights, wire harness, switches etc
OEM windshield (its heavy as is the mount)
OEM saddle bags (not as heavy as hard bags, but adds weight)
Belly pan
Throttle lock
Corbin seat (corbin seats are great, but they are heavy, every single one I've ever installed has always been heavier than oem)
Battery pig-tail for trickle charging and running tire inflator
I also carry a full tire repair kit under the seat.

Only mods that reduce weight:
Removed rear grab rails (solo bike setup)
Removed passenger seat (however corbin solo seat is heavier than both oem seats combined)
Removed passenger foot pegs (solo)
LiFe battery, its significantly lighter and more powerful than the oem battery

So my bike is 30 lbs heavier than "stock"
As for additional insights, well maybe don't fully believe in all the numbers manufacturers state?
Every bike I have weighed has come in heavier than the manufacturer claimed figures (and I do trust my scales)

Tazmool

·
Registered
15 Posts
A buddy of mine and I weighed all our bikes yesterday.
We had planned to do it one day when we had all 4 machines in one place, and it finally happened.

I'll just cut to the chase:

2014 Valkyrie, LiFe battery, oem Windshield, gps, oem saddle bags (solo), breakaway throttle lock, lower driving lights, corbin seat, belly pan, tire repair kit (including air compressor)
782 lbs

2003 VTX 1800, solo seat, oem windshield, some kind of side air intake
794 lbs

2021 CRF300L (lots of mods)
307 lbs

2016 WR250R (lots of mods, more than the crf)
309 lbs

I happen to have a set of portable automotive scales I bought years ago for a project, so we used those, they're pretty darn accurate (also built a simple set of ramps and wooden pads to roll the bikes onto the scales).
All bikes were full of fluids, ready to ride.

Both of us were surprised how heavy the dual sports are, we thought they'd be under 300lbs each, especially the yamaha.
I was within 3 lbs (guessing) of what my Valk would weigh (I guessed around 785lbs)
Both the Valk and CRF were modded keeping in mind weight, trying to keep both as low as possible (all unnecessary weight removed where practical) the battery alone removed (I think) around 10-12 lbs.

Last bike I weighed a few years ago now
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 (lots of mods, trying to keep as lights as possible, it was preordered and delivered in 2020)
455 lbs (dissapointingly way too heavy for real off road, for me anyways, not a good bike to learn off-roading on. If you have the skill, its an amazing bike)

What does your bike weigh?

Tazmool
Several years ago I was stopped somewhere on my VTX1300 and a fellow rider was giving me compliments on it. He obviously knew way more about mechanics and such than I (not saying a whole lot unfortunately) so I asked him "Is there anything I can do to make my bike faster?' After looking again at my bike, back at me, then at the bike, then back at me he said, "yeah ... lose weight!" Bikers and our brutal honesty. Gotta love it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Would enjoy seeing a pic of that VTX and a few comments about how it compares with the Valk.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Here're a couple pics of my VTX 1300r. At the time I bought it, it was the biggest and most powerful bike I had ever owned, albeit far from the fastest. My Honda V45 Magna would blow it away, and certainly the Valk will as well. This was my first foray back into motorcycling after a long absence after buying my house and paying off the mortgage. I loved the look and liked the seeming comfort of floorboards. I bought it with the rear seat off and never put it back on. I loved the bike. But that foot forward position was not to my liking, as I like my feet under my hips. I love the sound of it and its retro look. Kinda reminds me of a Harley Fat Boy. Very reliable, shaft driven and good looking bike. I haven't ridden mine in quite some time and need to get it roadworthy again. She's going to need a lot of elbow grease!

Richmonder

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a very beautiful looking VTX 1300 Richmonder (y)

Ok, the weight thing,
I agree, depending on the person, the easiest weight (cheapeast) to shed it your own.
In 2017 I was not happy with my weight, and a buddy of mine who is an ER nurse (and has seen a LOT in his career) was trying something himself and clued me in to a few things. One of them is "IF" or intermittent fasting. With out getting too deep into it, it basically means you eat one large meal a day, and only one, no snacking, or 3 to 5 meals a day, no continiuos eating througout the day, no vanilla coffee with 700 calories between meals etc etc.

You eat the same way that your predecessors ate for hundreths of thousands of years. It also involves a longer few day fast every once in a while.
And again with out getting too deep into it, we as a western society have been mislead with the "food pyramid" and "when and how often we should eat"

Figuring out what works with "IF" for me, and moderate excercise (walking, cycling etc) has made a huge change in my life.
Between January 2017 and September, I lost 86 lbs and have kept it off. My health increased tremendously, allergies have decreased substantially (I no longer take anything for my allergies etc)
If you're curious, my buddy had lost over 100 lbs.

A motorycle bonus is that my inseam increased (it turns out less padding on the ass is better at helping you reach the ground than the extra weight you're carrying)

Tazmool

PS: I'll do a VTX comparison in a later post

·
Registered
319 Posts
That is a very beautiful looking VTX 1300 Richmonder (y)

Ok, the weight thing,
I agree, depending on the person, the easiest weight (cheapeast) to shed it your own.
In 2017 I was not happy with my weight, and a buddy of mine who is an ER nurse (and has seen a LOT in his career) was trying something himself and clued me in to a few things. One of them is "IF" or intermittent fasting. With out getting too deep into it, it basically means you eat one large meal a day, and only one, no snacking, or 3 to 5 meals a day, no continiuos eating througout the day, no vanilla coffee with 700 calories between meals etc etc.

You eat the same way that your predecessors ate for hundreths of thousands of years. It also involves a longer few day fast every once in a while.
And again with out getting too deep into it, we as a western society have been mislead with the "food pyramid" and "when and how often we should eat"

Figuring out what works with "IF" for me, and moderate excercise (walking, cycling etc) has made a huge change in my life.
Between January 2017 and September, I lost 86 lbs and have kept it off. My health increased tremendously, allergies have decreased substantially (I no longer take anything for my allergies etc)
If you're curious, my buddy had lost over 100 lbs.

A motorycle bonus is that my inseam increased (it turns out less padding on the ass is better at helping you reach the ground than the extra weight you're carrying)

Tazmool

PS: I'll do a VTX comparison in a later post
First of all, congratulations on your successful life-style change, Tazmool. There is no simple way to do what you did. You really have to want to. Well done! Secondly, my degree from the Univ. of Iowa is in physiology and biomechanics, and I have a "healthy" (pun intended) background in nutrition as well. Even though you didn't get into the specifics of your methods, what you did say I back up 100%. I won't go into anecdotal stories, you have your own. "Listen to and feel" your own body. Pay attention to what works for you and what doesn't, because everyone is different, but the basics remain the same. Nice to see someone take control of their own life!
:cool:

·
Registered
155 Posts
If I recall, weight loss and fitness is the Aussie panacea not just for a faster bike but also for assorted aches and pains during motorcycling - knees, hips, back, butt, etc.
Full disclosure, I subscribe to that school of thought. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts