Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled the trigger on the OEM bags because I was concerned if I don't, I'll never be able to find them.
Most are out of stock or low stock. I couldn't find a single Honda dealer/evilbay seller that had everything needed to mount them (stays/brackets/bags/hardware) I pieced my order with several sellers, actually worked well with one seller offering sale price and free shipping, combined with money from returns in my PayPal account saved me several hundred dollars.

Just mentioning in case someone is interested in buying, the sellers are eBay sellers "Hondaoftroy" and "Powersportsxpres"

·
Registered
343 Posts
I received my OEM "leather" saddlebags today. I was disappointed in the materials. The only thing I am sure is leather is the lid keeper at the inside hinge. The top might be leather. The sides don't appear to be leather at all. On the upside, the bags are very accessible with a wide opening, the lid swings completely open and the bags are easy to mount & remove. On the upside, the Obenauf's Leather Preservative I got for the bags can go for my boots and jacket.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sorry you don't like them. I am quite happy with mine, and I believe them to be leather top to bottom. I could be wrong, as there are some really good faux leather products out there. But Honda says they are leather, and I have no basis to question them. Did you get them mounted? Any issues? Did you remove the passenger pegs or leave them on?

Richmonder

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think they are ok and I am warming to them. The Honda bags are more user friendly than the Leatherworks, Inc., bags I had on my 1500 Valkyrie. I'm glad I got the studded ones. On closer examination, I have to agree with you they are all leather with the exception of the side that mounts to the braket. It will be interesting how well they absorb the Obenauf's Leather Preservative Oil.

The saddlebag hardware is all installed on the bike but the saddlebags are not mounted yet. I have a wide variety of stainless steel fender washers out in my storage unit and I want to use them to help spread out the weight on the saddlebag mounting surface. It may be a solution to a non-existing problem but it can't hurt. I'm also replacing the OEM socket head bolts with stainless steel button head bolts to have a smoother rounded profile in the bag. I'm thinking the button head bolts will do less damage to anything in the bags.

I was considering removing the passenger footpeg, passenger seat, and sissybar pad since I don't plan on having any passengers. But then I am going back for my 52nd high school reunion and I promised my old girlfriend that I would give her a ride so the passenger stuff may stay.

I was having an issue with both the gear shift and rear brake peddle being too low so today I did replace the factory driver's footpeg with Knight Design LLC lowering pegs with a 29mm drop. I have yet to try them out.

·
Registered
670 Posts
So I gather then that you installed the brackets without removing the rear pegs. That is shown as a step in the Honda instructions but for the garage mechanic, it's virtually impossible without specialized tools, and is not necessary if you're careful. The hard work is now done. Installing the bags is a piece of cake. Congrats!

Richmonder

·
Registered
343 Posts
I gather then that you installed the brackets without removing the rear pegs.
I did take the passenger pegs off with no issues. I've got a nice set of short and long hex bit sockets that made removal/reinstalling with a 3/8" ratchet a simple process.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I can't believe you got them off. I couldn't budge those hex bolts with my little hex wrenches, and even bought special ones for my power driver, and despite having tons of torque, the Bosch wouldn't budge. I'm impressed. Honda put those on with extreme maximum torqueage. As Ms. Vito said in My Cousin Vinny, they're Dead On Balls Accurate. "It's an industry term."

Richmonder

·
Registered
343 Posts
I couldn't budge them with my mini CRUZTool socket set but no issue with the 3/8th drive set. It's been said that in the Japanese automobile factories, Gorilla San does the final torque setting on footpeg bolts and oil filters. I had to use a manual impact driver to take the doors off my Suzuki Samurai even as a younger man. Also, I think they use some type of thread locker so heat might help.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Put a pipe over the handle to extend your length/increase your leverage/torque.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Farther & Richmonder,
I want to thank you both for the schematic/installation directions, installation video and advice given. I installed the bags today and every single word of advice was most helpful. The chopsticks worked like a charm for alignment of spacer, backrest, bracket. I also hung the stays and bracket as Farther had suggested to free up two hands for hardware. I certainly could have used another hand. I believe it's harder with less play and wiggle room when you throw the backrest in the mix. All in all, it went well. I'm grateful for your advice given. THANK YOU.

I am pleased with the quality of these Honda bags, everything lines up, all holes were properly drilled, all the hardware was included (nothing missing). Suggestions for anyone else planning on doing this would be leave EVERTHING loose or just finger tight until you have all hardware installed or it just won't work. I suggest hanging the bracket and stay from the rail to free up both hands for proper alignment. Farther's chopstick idea for aligning the holes worked like a charm. Patience.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Outstanding! Glad you were able to get them on without too much trouble, and if I was able to contribute in some small way, excellent. I'll have to put a set of chopsticks in my toolbox.

Richmonder

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can these bags still be purchased as of today 9/21/21?....and how much for the bags and brackets...thanks...I like these better than all others......nice contrast to the bike

·
Registered
343 Posts
Can these bags still be purchased as of today 9/21/21?....and how much for the bags and brackets...thanks...I like these better than all others......nice contrast to the bike
I think they are still available. What I did was to get the Honda OEM parts number and plug it into Google. No single source had all the parts I was looking for.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts