Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

Here comes a new challenger: the Ducati Diavel

20K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  Bebo 
#1 ·

One of the best selling modern Ducati bikes is getting revamped, and we should get to see it break cover on Monday. Information hasn't been confirmed officially, but the info apparently came straight from a Ducati dealer.

The new Ducati Diavel will be an early 2015 model, and should reach dealers in May this year. Most of the updates are aesthetic, but there are a few performance upgrades as well. The Diavel will sport smaller turn signals, more prominent air intakes, a revised headlight and possibly new wheels.

Other changes include a better seat, a new exhaust set-up that looks more like the Termignoni cans.

Sure, all the details aren't known yet, but how do you think this bikes compares to the Valkyrie? Are you tempted?

See less See more
#10 ·
So the Ducati Diavel has been revealed now.

The Ducati Diavel has the Dual Spark (DS) version of the Desmodromic L-Town engine which can be found in the new Monster 1200 machines. This 1198cc Testastretta 11 degree mill is liquid-cooled and has 106mm bore and 67.9mm stroke, with a 12:5:1 compression.

The Ducati Diavel also retains the steel tubular trellis fram and comes with an 1,590mm wheelbase. The Carbon version comes with forged and machined 9-spoke Marchesini wheels, while the standard ones have 14-spoked light allow ones.

Plenty more info here --> http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...tures-and-tech-specs-photo-gallery-77961.html

#13 ·
The one thing that I am not liking about the design is the headlight. I think it could have used some more work.

This is one hella expensive bike though. Not for people with shallow pockets, that is for sure.

Would you ever consider paying for a bike like the Diavel? I bet it is a blast to ride.

#23 · (Edited)
I've put about 1000 miles on both my 2015 Diavel and my 2014 Valkyrie. I'm going to do a video comparison of them shortly.

The bottom line is the two bikes are hard to compare. The Diavel has a lot more in common with the VMAX. For some reason they are trying to market the Valkyrie as a power cruiser or muscle cruiser. The flat 6 is a powerhouse but I am finding it just can't compete with the other bikes typically found in that marketplace. The Diavel has 58 more horsepower and is nearly 300 pounds lighter.

Just because I've owned them all at some point this is how I would rank the bikes in this class. Using my super scientific seat of the pants dyno. All bikes totally stock.

VMAX
Diavel
Rocket III
M109R
Valkyrie
Vrod
Victory Hammer

Lists are nice and all but the margins between some of these bikes are paper thin. I can tell no difference in power between the VMAX and the Diavel. I can say with certainty the Diavel is the best handling cruiser I have ever driven.

The Rocket III is close to the Diavel and VMAX at the top. It could be partly driver but it just felt a lot slower to me off the line.

Then we have a sizable difference between the next tier. This is where I would place the Valkyrie, M109R, and the VROD. They are all very similar in power. The standout in this class is how super smooth the flat 6 engine is on the Valkyrie. It delivers tons of power in a very linear fashion up to red line. It is also an absolute joy on the highway, and the extremely low center of gravity make slow speed stuff very easy. The VROD and M109R are both like driving around on a paint mixer. They vibrate like crazy and both have dead spots in the power bands where you just simply get revs and no matching power to the wheel.

And bringing up the rear is the poor Victory Hammer. The styling is really cool, so it has that going for it which is nice. It is really disappointing in the power department which is all I really have to say about it. Also it has a 250 rear tire.

Not sure if I have missed any bikes in this class. The Kawasaki Meanstreak and Yamaha Road Warrior are no longer produced but having owned them years ago they are well behind even the Hammer.

#26 ·
Well I've just added a new Valkyrie ABS to my garage, but haven't had chance to ride it yet.
I see there is a test comparison between the Rocket Roadster and the 2014 Valkyrie in the latest July/August Ultimate Motorcycle Magazine
There is an online app/version of this mag you can download on to your iphone/iPad newstand

#27 ·
Ultimate Motorcycle - The conclusion of their comparison.....

CONCLUSION

If you come away from this comparison with one thing, it should be the approachability of the two motorcycles. As large as they look, they are still manageable machines; the Rocket III and Valkyrie can be ridden by any competent motorcyclist, as long as he keeps his right hand connected to his brain.

Choosing between them is about your mission. If straight-line dominance is what you are about, the Triumph Rocket III Roadster and its 240mm rear tire is there to satisfy your needs. Whether you’re coming away from a stoplight, or cruising down the freeway and looking to make a fast pass, the Rocket will not be denied.

For those who have some local twisties to cavort through, then the Honda Gold Wing Valkyrie ABS will be your mount of choice. The touring Wing is a superb handler, and with taller wheels and considerably less weight, the Valkyrie is shockingly agile. It won’t give fits to sport bikes, but a Roadster rider will be hard pressed to keep a well-ridden Valkyrie in sight.

As around-town bikes for riders who like to see the sights and be seen along the way, the two machines present distinctive countenances. Traditionalists will gravitate toward the Deco-inspired styling of the Rocket III, just as cruiser fans who want something different and modern will find much to like about the Valkyrie. In urban situations, they are both fully satisfying.

#29 · (Edited)
I'm from UK but live in Sharm - Sinai so not much competition here, mostly Chinese imports.
I've got 5 bikes including a 2004 Rune and a 2014 Rocket Roadster.
Cairo has a good bike community but that's over 500kms away (across the desert so pretty boring hot ride). Sports bikes and Harley's are the most common.

#32 ·
Yea its cool that the two bikes are kinda the same style with one being more retro and the other being more futuristic. I take it you guys like the futuristic styling instead of the more retro look, or you'd probably be on a different forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.