Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
As an update this final drive is awesome, it not only reduces the RPMs at the top end but makes the bike WAY nicer to drive at low speeds, starting and stopping, and around town. Highly recommend it if you can easily afford it, especially if you cant decide if you want to start in first or second. It is the gearing the bike should have had from the factory.
Can you share the total cost for the entire swap ? And also, does 5th gear seem more like a 6th gear now? Lower rpms when cruising ?

·
Registered
424 Posts
As an update this final drive is awesome, it not only reduces the RPMs at the top end but makes the bike WAY nicer to drive at low speeds, starting and stopping, and around town. Highly recommend it if you can easily afford it, especially if you cant decide if you want to start in first or second. It is the gearing the bike should have had from the factory.
Thanks for the update, Joel! So how long did it take to connect with Henry, and then to receive delivery? Looks like you started about the time you posted above on May 9th... Do you start out in 1st now after usually starting in 2nd?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Did he ship you an entirely new drive or did you first ship him yours and he did the work for $1500?
He ships you an entirely new drive, but I forgot to mention I think he does charge like a $100 core fee. I just kept mine as a spare.

Thanks for the update, Joel! So how long did it take to connect with Henry, and then to receive delivery? Looks like you started about the time you posted above on May 9th... Do you start out in 1st now after usually starting in 2nd?
I happened to order them while he had them in stock, so it may vary quite a bit. From my emails it looks like I ordered Jan 21st, then received it Jan 28th, then installed it exactly 3 months later on April 28th.... You know, because I am right on top of things... lol....

And yes, I always started in second before, now I always start in first. I didn't measure it, but I honestly feel like the 0-60 time is likely a little faster with the taller gearing, at least for my level of competence. With the stock gearing I felt like starting in first was slower than starting in second. Goosing it in first I felt like I was trying to accelerate, get the bike balanced, my foot off the ground, keep traction, find the shifter, and let off the gas, then shift, pretty much all at the same time before I hit the rev limiter. Whereas starting in second with the stock gearing actually gave you some time fully on the throttle to find your composure before you need to shift.

With the new final drive it isnt like that anymore. First pulls like a beast, harder than second did stock certainly, but being a bit higher gives you enough time to quickly find your composure from a stop before you need to find second, and traction also isnt as much of a problem. So you can goose it hard off the line in first then run it all the way out, snap to second and pop a mini wheelie on a quick 1-2 shift (even with my 350lb self) and just go like an animal. Also, it is easier to downshift to first at higher speeds now, so even if I dont stop, at very low speeds I sometimes downshift to first if I really want to get on it.

Like I said, I got it for lower RPMs in 5th when doing high speed cruising, which it absolutely does, but I am honestly surprised how many other advantages it has and how much more I like driving the bike around in town with the taller final.

·
Registered
21 Posts
He ships you an entirely new drive, but I forgot to mention I think he does charge like a $100 core fee. I just kept mine as a spare.

I happened to order them while he had them in stock, so it may vary quite a bit. From my emails it looks like I ordered Jan 21st, then received it Jan 28th, then installed it exactly 3 months later on April 28th.... You know, because I am right on top of things... lol....

And yes, I always started in second before, now I always start in first. I didn't measure it, but I honestly feel like the 0-60 time is likely a little faster with the taller gearing, at least for my level of competence. With the stock gearing I felt like starting in first was slower than starting in second. Goosing it in first I felt like I was trying to accelerate, get the bike balanced, my foot off the ground, keep traction, find the shifter, and let off the gas, then shift, pretty much all at the same time before I hit the rev limiter. Whereas starting in second with the stock gearing actually gave you some time fully on the throttle to find your composure before you need to shift.

With the new final drive it isnt like that anymore. First pulls like a beast, harder than second did stock certainly, but being a bit higher gives you enough time to quickly find your composure from a stop before you need to find second, and traction also isnt as much of a problem. So you can goose it hard off the line in first then run it all the way out, snap to second and pop a mini wheelie on a quick 1-2 shift (even with my 350lb self) and just go like an animal. Also, it is easier to downshift to first at higher speeds now, so even if I dont stop, at very low speeds I sometimes downshift to first if I really want to get on it.

Like I said, I got it for lower RPMs in 5th when doing high speed cruising, which it absolutely does, but I am honestly surprised how many other advantages it has and how much more I like driving the bike around in town with the taller final.
Nice , I think this definitely may be worth doing if I keep the Valkyrie for a while. Ultimate goal is a newer 2018+ goldwing.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm jealous. This sounds like the perfect fix for all the things we've all talked about. I just don't know if I ride enough anymore to justify the expense, especially because I'd have to add the cost of someone else holding the wrench. I really appreciate all of the detailed info on this, Joel. It's definitely made me want one.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts