Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Valkyrie F6C
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got money down on a blue '14 F6C and hope to have it by this weekend. It's got 162 miles on it, never even been wet and kept in a heated garage. It's pretty much showroom new. I'm lucky to have found it fairly close to where I live.

I've just about finished my list of things I'll be adding like a center stand, fog lights, windshield and luggage rack. I've got to have saddle bags and I'm on the fence between the Honda OEMs and Corbins. I'd go with the Honda bags but no locks and leather on a bike like this??? The Corbins look great but the price is pretty steep and from what I see here about the quality and installation frustrations has me very concerned.

Looking forward to all the help and comments available here and hope I can contribute somehow in the future.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Congratulations on your pending purchase! Welcome to the forum. I simply can't understand why people buy these (or any) motorcycles, put 100 miles on them, and then sell. Mine was the same way and came with 108 miles on it. It was nice to get the bike for half its original value. Oh well - their loss, our gain! I too really wanted the Corbin bags, but given their cost and fitment issues, and the fact I got a rare opportunity to purchase the Honda bags from a gent here, I went with OEM.

I might suggest an early oil change to give you peace of mind, and use synthetic oil. The oil in it now has been sitting for quite a while. I just changed mine this year after about 1000 miles when it occurred to me how old mine was, and after debating and watching endless YouTube videos about regular versus synthetic, I decided synthetic was the way to go. Many on here say they see improvement in shifting, though I don't see any difference. It's just better oil. Also keep an eye on your battery, as depending on when it was installed and how it was maintained, it might need some attention.

You picked a winner of a bike! Good luck and stay involved here!

Richmonder

·
Registered
360 Posts
Welcome from DFW, TX, sjo5531 ! You're going to love this engineering marvel. Endorsing and expanding on Richmonder's comments, only 162 miles means it's been sitting, even if in storage conditions, for 7 years, so you might look at changing ALL of the fluids, having a reputable shop perform a major service with a few exceptions like skip the valve adjustments. Check out the current topic on this site about brakes locking up due to old brake fluid, and other discussions and photos about what can happen with tires that have grown almost brittle after that number of years (expecting they might still be the stock Dunlops). Also check out the inside of the fuel tank and then replace the fuel to protect your injection system.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Welcome from DFW, TX, sjo5531 ! You're going to love this engineering marvel. Endorsing and expanding on Richmonder's comments, only 162 miles means it's been sitting, even if in storage conditions, for 7 years, so you might look at changing ALL of the fluids, having a reputable shop perform a major service with a few exceptions like skip the valve adjustments. Check out the current topic on this site about brakes locking up due to old brake fluid, and other discussions and photos about what can happen with tires that have grown almost brittle after that number of years (expecting they might still be the stock Dunlops). Also check out the inside of the fuel tank and then replace the fuel to protect your injection system.
When I changed my oil at the dealer, the Honda rep said he didn't see the need to change all the fluids as long as they looked good. But it sure can't hurt and will give you a lot of peace of mind. I was also advised by a friend to change my tires due to age, but again, Honda said as long as you don't see cracking on the sidewalls, they should be fine. I still worry about them a little, but I keep an eye on them. And maybe a bit of fuel system cleaner just in case.

Richmonder

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
The expertise on this forum might save me a call to the dealer I bought from. Its a 2014 Valk purchased new in 2018, So you seem confident that all fluids such as oils, brake fluid, and coolant are filled at the factory before crating and not by the dealer after uncrating and assembly. Or is the bike fully assembled before crating and delivery to the dealer.

·
Registered
2014 Valkyrie F6C
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The excellent comments and suggestions are much appreciated and why I joined this forum. I bought a '99 Valk I currently own with 15k miles on it and changing all the fluids were the first things on my list of things to do after I got it. I'm eventually going to have to sell it and it will break my heart when I do but I can't afford to keep and maintain two...

I would guess the PO added gas to it at some time over the years but there's bound to be some old fuel mixed in with newer. I'll try and drain out as much as I can before I give it a fill up. Just getting it on the road and putting on some miles and giving it some exercise has to do it a world of good. Like I'll need an excuse to get on it and ride it, ha ha.

And yes, I'll definitely keep an eye on the tires and better budget for a new set. I'll do a search here for what folks are using.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I suppose it depends on the dealer, but I was quoted several hundred $ as mandatory dealer prep/set for them to take care of the fluids on a brand new bike (which I decided to pass on), but the question is, "when was that dealer prep performed?" Did the first owner buy it in 2015, or much later (some were still in the crate in 2020)?

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
273 Posts
I live in the area if you want to check out the looks and fit of the Corbin stuff (seat and bags) we could meet up, Plus I have every single accessory Honda sells (including a center stand) installed (except the kickstand which I have but its not on yet) I wondered who if anyone was going to buy that Blue Valk… dude had it for sale for over a year… I think perhaps some of the frustration with the Corbin stuff is the self install I took one look at the directions where it said I had to take off the rear fender and was like, off to the dealer you go

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
273 Posts
Another thing to note is while you might ”think” the Honda stuff is cheaper…by the time you add it up you are near the $1100 mark ($1300 with the tail bag) I should know… yep I bought it all, never put it on though I sold it to Richmonder

·
Registered
531 Posts
Flat Six is correct, the OEM Honda stuff is not cheap.
I like the quality and exact fit. I do not like the small bag opening/capacity or no lock. I can't even get my summer 1/2 helmet inside. I like the looks of the Corbin bags on this bike, a classic match to this classic bike. I believe they have a limited capacity also.

Speaking of cost, gosh I added it up and wish I didn't. Everything I've tried or added including three seats, four windshields and accessories I could buy another nice used bike. It's a vicious cycle, I do it to every bike:cry:

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
273 Posts
Oh and one cool thing about Corbin is they don’t charge you sales tax… BUT unfortunately unless you live near Hollister CA or Ormond Beach FL its $80 per bag shipping (the seat is a little less as I recall)

·
Registered
2014 Valkyrie F6C
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Flat Six, yeah I'd like arrange a get together and see your Corbin bags and talk other Valkyrie stuff you have experience with. PM me with an email or phone or whatever. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts