Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What recommendations do you have for heated gear? (beyond get ya sum) Temps are dropping in Mid Tennessee and I am determined to ride some in each month of the year.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I don't ride in the ludicrous temperatures some of you guys do but I see sub zero from time to time. Fortunately not too many times. What I will say from that is keeping the wind away from your skin is most of the battle. These things are not clothing but my fingers have thanked me so many times that these things are now a permanent part of my my bike. BTW this is not the cheapest, just the first I saw.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Univers...723643&hash=item3d85e818f1:g:84oAAOSwZtRb5j8f

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thats my VTX1300 on the Dragon .. I wore out a new set of titanium footpeg feelers on that early fall ride. Glorious!

Notice the hand guards.. I rode in 18 degrees Fahrenheit with those.. made all the difference in the world for my hands.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
I use the heated vest from Hammacher-Schlemmer, a "rated best" kind of thing and it has an unlimited guarantee. I live in SE IL, at about the same latitude as Indy and it extends my comfortable riding season a good month on either side of the season. Worth it to me to prolong my "cycle-psycho-therapy", my term to my knowledge, by about another two months or so.

https://www.hammacher.com/product/best-heated-vest-6?promo=search

If you don't like it for any reason at any time, send it back for a full refund. I imagine that this service pays for itself by not having to have a "Customer Complaint Department" to staff. As a self-employed businessman all of my life until retirement, I say, "Rock on!"

·
Registered
70 Posts
...and with a car tire on the back to boot. Living life on the edge. :)

That bike rode and performed sooo much better with a car tire.. like it was made to use one. It was a fun carver on not too aggressive of road curves only because you had to ride near it's limits to get the fun out of it. I wore out the outside corners of my newly resoled boots on that trip. That's my "early warning" indicator.. next the peg starts folding and THEN I knew I was near the limit. Grinding the hard parts isn't nearly so scary with a car tire since the sidewall is still pushing rubber down on the road even as the weight is coming off the tire. Saved my butt a few times it did.

Good times!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Reactions: rkroden

·
Registered
70 Posts
My gear of choice, when I was riding in freezing temps and below, is Gerber. I was warmed from head to toe.. literally. Kind of a pain to suit up that much gear but I couldn't complain with the results. Even on below freezing days I was as warm as I wanted to be.

·
Registered
133 Posts
after reading reviews i did buy a ORORO Men Heated Jacket Winter Water Resistant Sport Outdoor Hiking Heated Coat today and will be here monday the 4th

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Used to be Gerbing. Now it's Gordon.I still have an original Jacket liner and Gloves. Used them yesterday in 45 deg temp. Been into heated gear for 25 years. When your warm and comfortable you're a safer rider and enjoy it so much more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Chattanooga and bought the cycle gear brand under layer,so far high 30s is cold as I've tried but went 90 miles and back with no teeth chattering.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ride year-round in Chicago, including 15 below zero and in the snow if it isn't sticking.

I've used Volt heated gloves for a few years now and haven't had any issues. The two highest settings are too hot even below zero, so I use the two lowest. I have Raynauds which means when I get cold, the blood stops circulating to my hands, so heated gloves are a medical necessity for me. I've tried a few brands and am thrilled with Volt. They are $150 here and I absolutely recommend them: https://voltheat.com/collections/he...to-men-s-12v-leather-motorcycle-heated-gloves

As far as the upper body, I have a lot of ultralight backpacking gear I use for winter riding. I use a high-quality fleece and a wind/waterproof vented shell on top of that. For my legs, I'll generally use a good base layer under my pants, or leather chaps if it's below zero.

Cycle Gear's Freeze-Out products are amazing for base layers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I ride year-round in Chicago, including 15 below zero and in the snow if it isn't sticking.

I've used Volt heated gloves for a few years now and haven't had any issues. The two highest settings are too hot even below zero, so I use the two lowest. I have Raynauds which means when I get cold, the blood stops circulating to my hands, so heated gloves are a medical necessity for me. I've tried a few brands and am thrilled with Volt. They are $150 here and I absolutely recommend them: https://voltheat.com/collections/he...to-men-s-12v-leather-motorcycle-heated-gloves

As far as the upper body, I have a lot of ultralight backpacking gear I use for winter riding. I use a high-quality fleece and a wind/waterproof vented shell on top of that. For my legs, I'll generally use a good base layer under my pants, or leather chaps if it's below zero.

Cycle Gear's Freeze-Out products are amazing for base layers.
Kudo's to you for riding in that type of weather but I just have to ask. Do you do it for enjoyment or is it your only transportation?

·
Registered
133 Posts
This thread got me motivated to buy my 1st heated jacket . to my surprise it is being held up from delivery Friday because it is 17 Deg in Commerce City, CO with a low of 7 Deg. man that is so cold. windows open here every night so far with a low of 69 deg tonight and 78 right now. No way could i survive true cold weather......:eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recently installed the Gerbing single controller on the left side panel. It is nice and clean having just a small control knob showing. I have the connector to liner tucked away poking out of the right side cover. I also installed a fuse block w relay under the seat. There is a switched accessory circuit that works well for controlling the relay.

I replaced the handlebar weights bar with snowmobile heaters. Drilled a hole in center of bars. Came with a high/Low switch.

These two items keep me very comfortable riding year round in CA. I couldn't do Chicago that's too cold.

The other key to stay warm is a Baclava? under your helmet keeping the wind out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts