Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Member - I have 100k miles on Harley's (mostly FXDC). Wanted more performance and a smoother, better engineered bike. Bought a new 2014 Valkyrie in August -put 10k on it riding the same routes in NC, VA, WV, and AL as the FXDC and am very happy with the decision. So nimble for a large bike. In November, struck a pickup cutting across traffic at 45mph and totaled the Valkyrie. The driver fled but the Valkyrie and armor saved my life. The frame broke when the forks folded and put a hole in the engine but I am in one piece. December, bought another new 2014 Valkyrie, just like the first - black. Have TorqMaster exhausts with just the front baffle (had both on the first bike) - only mods. Just changed oil at 3.6K as I am planning a trip next week. I trailer it sometimes but mostly ride, ride, ride. I already appreciate peoples comments and look forward to making any contributions where appropriate. Blessed to be alive.

·
Super Moderator
187 Posts
Welcome to the forum! So sorry to hear about your accident, but very happy to hear you're still in one piece and back in the saddle. Don't be shy about dropping a pic or two of your travels. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is great that you are to still able to enjoy riding. You mentioned trailering the Valkyrie periodically. I hope to haul a Valkyrie home on a trailer next week. I was going to ask for any general suggestions you may have for hauling the Valkyrie, but I am primarily concerned about how best to secure it and where to attach the tie downs to the bike. I do have an inexpensive Harbor Freight wheel chock that I will attach to the trailer too. Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be Careful

FXDC had open forks and frame but Valkyrie is more of a challenge. Forum was helpful but approaches vary. I have a 6x10 v-nose cargo ramp trailer. I focused on the wheel chock. Chock wheel lock can't hit the fender so design is important. I deepened the wheel rest (makes it harder to get out but more solid). I use padded tie-downs to secure the front wheel forward and down in the chock. Floor anchors secure the back wheel. I do use nylon straps and tie-downs on the bottom of the engine guard (secure but not tight) to reduce any sway. I've towed about 3,000 miles and the Valkyrie never moved or loosened. I hope that helps - protect your investment and enjoy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My wheel chock has some adjustment if it and hopefully I can find a good setting for the Valkyrie. I may do the same with the engine guard attachment (not too tight) and see if I can find anything suitable behind the side covers also. I'm sure that I'll overdo it.

Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
74 Posts
a HD. man goes Honda, hummmmmmm ,usually the other way around. valks are like cocaine, habit forming, once you have it you can't do without! it's the mmmmmmmmmotor man! welcome!

·
Super Moderator
187 Posts
a HD. man goes Honda, hummmmmmm ,usually the other way around. valks are like cocaine, habit forming, once you have it you can't do without! it's the mmmmmmmmmotor man! welcome!
You'd be surprised -- the CTX1300 (the other huge seller for Honda! :p) board is about half former HD guys. :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I had room for two bikes I would keep the Harley because there are days you jump on it and let it go and there is nothing like that sound and feel. Riding 20K+ a year, and wanting more openness and performance than a bagger or goldwing the Valkyrie is just right. Rode 150 miles today and smiled, smiled, smiled. Headed to Florida next week to ride. Have a blessed and safe week.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought one of the cheap motorcycle chocks from Harbor freight that secures the wheel with a fold-up portion that allows hands-free attachment since the cycle will stand up in it unassisted. My problem is that I am not big enough/strong enough or both to pull the bike off the chock since there is a pivot bolt to go over when backing up. That chock really irritated me because it really made me feel like a weakling. The Valk is big enough and heavy enough to be a bit of a strain on use smaller folks, but adding that chock made me have to have help available to get it off the trailer. Not a good thing for me.

When I went to Biketoberfest last year in Daytona, they had a lot of solutions for this. One was a chock that did not require front straps at all, allowing the bike to be trailered using its own suspension. It was a lot like this one: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock/wheeldock-review/

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know what you are saying about getting the bike out of the HF chock. There are times that a reverse gear would be nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts