Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Achilles ATR-k Economist All-season Radial 175/55-17 Amazon about $$48
I let the tire pressure slip down to about 30lbs and the ride and cornering improved. Went back to 40lbs. Now, when the ride and cornering improve I know to add air. Happy so far.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sorry, Farther, I just noticied your unanswered question. There are multiple ways of determining the significant increase in contact patch, including observation when standing both tires side by side (makes it very obvious), and this posting: Facebook . Longer post about contact patch: Log into Facebook

·
Registered
782 Posts
It’s just the logical/rational side my brain keeps telling me that this is not a good idea.
I'm with you, Farther! I always felt that if a motorcycle were intended to have a flat tread, they'd come with them. A round tread is much more conducive to leaning, and no one can convince me otherwise. Basically, you are leaning every second you are on a bike. I know there are many fans of using car tires on bikes, but I will never be one of them. I've been criticized for my views on other forums, and that's fine. To each his own. I can't speak to the experience, having never tried riding that way, but I can definitely state I will never do it. Not to mention, I doubt any Honda dealer is going to do this work, and I prefer something of this level be done at the shop. If motorcycle tires cost a little more and don't last as long, it's a price I'll pay. I'd love to see a scientific study done by an unbiased respected entity to evaluate safety, physics and other factors comparing the two. I've never seen anything like that. Just endorsements from those who have done it.

Richmonder

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been Darkside since 1998 ! Started on a 1997 Valkyrie. Most who diss it have never done it. I ride around 16 K an 8 month season.
It's not a big deal. I ride the same corners on the same roads at the same speeds. If we went on some twisties,35mph and up,you would not have to wait for me.
Tire pressure is the DS secret.

JJ

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have an ME888Marathon Ultra on her now. When she's gone I'll be putting this Gold Wing Wheel on her.
Looking for my next front tire. Commander III maybe. The new Dunlop high mileage tire won't fit.

JJ

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I have about 5000 miles on my Achilles 195/17 and I cannot tell any difference in handling from my 200/50r/17 on my CTX1300, except my 200/17 Commander II is wore out at 7000 miles. What brand and size CT will fit the Val that is available NOW. Achilles is no longer available.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have about 5000 miles on my Achilles 195/17 and I cannot tell any difference in handling from my 200/50r/17 on my CTX1300, except my 200/17 Commander II is wore out at 7000 miles. What brand and size CT will fit the Val that is available NOW. Achilles is no longer available.
That's a shame that the tire you like is no longer available. Nothing good is available for your bike in a CT.
This is all I could find and it's expensive and won't last long and would lower the bike.

You will probably need to get a bike tire.
That is why I sidestepped and got a Gold Wing wheel. Good luck on your search.

JJ

·
Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2021 Ninja 1000SX, 2005 R1200GS
9 Posts
i've gone on and off darksiding on the valk. some people say you should have a curved tire on a bike for lean. well when your bike weighs 1/2 a ton and you drive 2800 miles in a trip, the tire gets a pretty big flat spot pretty quickly anyways. This has a significant impact on wet weather handling. the car tires have much better traction when wet comparatively.

a big difference in wear life of a motorcycle tire vs a car tire is the amount of silica in the tire. this makes for harder tire compounds but less grip. when you have a vehicle that's several thousand lbs and 4 contact patches, life span is going to out weigh grip. when you have something much lighter and with far less contact, the tackyness of the tire really matters. add in that silica is lower cost than rubber and the mass production of car tires vs motorcycle tires and you have a great price difference.
one way i compromise when i'm going to be putting on a lot of miles in a trip/season is to use a snow tire. it has a lower silica content than all seasons so it has better grip but you get much better life than a motorcycle tire.

i know, it seems silly to go back and forth a lot but i put on 10-20k miles a year. if i only used motorcycle tires, i'd be changing them mid season.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i've gone on and off darksiding on the valk. some people say you should have a curved tire on a bike for lean. well when your bike weighs 1/2 a ton and you drive 2800 miles in a trip, the tire gets a pretty big flat spot pretty quickly anyways. This has a significant impact on wet weather handling. the car tires have much better traction when wet comparatively.

a big difference in wear life of a motorcycle tire vs a car tire is the amount of silica in the tire. this makes for harder tire compounds but less grip. when you have a vehicle that's several thousand lbs and 4 contact patches, life span is going to out weigh grip. when you have something much lighter and with far less contact, the tackyness of the tire really matters. add in that silica is lower cost than rubber and the mass production of car tires vs motorcycle tires and you have a great price difference.
one way i compromise when i'm going to be putting on a lot of miles in a trip/season is to use a snow tire. it has a lower silica content than all seasons so it has better grip but you get much better life than a motorcycle tire.

i know, it seems silly to go back and forth a lot but i put on 10-20k miles a year. if i only used motorcycle tires, i'd be changing them mid season.
I've been Darkside since 1998 !

JJ

·
Registered
395 Posts
BobMoe, I think you're the only one I've seen who found a decent 17" CT, everyone else seems to have converted to 16" GWing wheel (scrap at trike converters, I got mine for free from a generous private owner who previously converted to a trike and had 2 rims in the workshop). Too bad the Achilles is no longer available, but how is it looking after 5,000 miles? My previous 16" Khumo Ecsta had about the same tread depth on it after 12,000 miles than a brand new mc tire, took 3 nails and at 0 psi on the gauge still held its shape and ran OK (felt a little sloppy) until I noticed one of the nail heads when parked in the garage, and it's not even a 'Runflat'. The replacement now has 8,000 miles, looks new, and I shouldn't have to replace it for either of 2 different multi-state trips this Spring.

Reactions: BobMoe
41 - 60 of 64 Posts