Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
But to go darkside properly on a Valk will require switching to a 16" goldwing rim just to get a choice of tire sizes. It's doable if you have a spacer made to accomodate the GW rim. After that it's just trial and error to find the best performing tire size for the bike.

That's just my .10 cents worth.
Lots more than 10 cents worth of info there. :) Any idea how thick the spacer would need to be to counter any offset when using the GW rim?

·
Registered
130 Posts
... I hope to find out for myself this weekend. Khumo Ecsta 195/60 tire is on the 16" rim ready to go.
Was that tire size recommended by another '14-'15 valk going to the darkside? Rooting for you to have a great experience. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Buster, good to hear that the 195/60R16 works for you. I myself am leaning towards a 185/60R16 with inexpensive choices from Yokohama, Nexen, Toyo, etc. The latter size appears to more closely approximate the height, width, RPM and speedo of the stock 180/55R17. Should be easier to wrestle into place and also reduce the risk of bottoming out with a passenger on board. I don't use saddlebags so the mismatched wheels will be quite obvious. Powder coating a glossy black would be the safe choice. Hope to resist the temptation to go garish with neon red or orange. :)
My somewhat imprecise measurement indicated an offset of less than .25" with the goldwing wheel. If that is true, I do not know the implication for the ride handling. Anyway, **** the torpedoes. Full steam ahead!

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Finally finished the transition to the darkside. Went with the Toyo 185/60R16 and initial impressions are similar to Buster's. Abbreviated riding due to weather. I suppose I will have a truer experience when I hit the twisties in the near future. Powder coating the wheel was the single most expensive but unavoidable item in the project.

·
Registered
130 Posts
7 And then the elephant in the room is if this is such a good idea, why is it so controversial?
It's not for everyone...
The very low probability of the elephant going rogue while you are atop it is what makes it more interesting than riding perfectly docile sheep, IMO.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you're still curious about darksiding, the admin at goldwingdocs has a video review of his experience on a 1500 Goldwing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts