Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed a rear tire for my CTX1300. Found a Michelin Commander II on Amazon for$171. When I went to order it the price was $200(200/55/17)
Found a (175/55/R17) for $56. Couldn't resist. Got it today and I like what I see. Will update in a few months.
Found a Michelin 200/17 at
Rockymountainatvmc.com
For $176
Looks like the price is rising.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gl1800 group have posted getting 24k-40k miles with good handling at 1/4 the price. I got 8k on my OEM back tire. Already replaced front $208 installed. Thought I'd be the test pilot.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would love to do this, but my insurance company up here in Ontario explicitly has it in the policy that running a car tire is not covered. Too bad, I would love to try one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How can the tire perform well for a motorcycle? The profile of a car tire is so much more flat/square. There is no way a car tire will handle curves the same as a motorcycle tire....or am I missing something? I like to flop my bike around like a motorcycle rodeo rider and I can not imagine a car tire handling properly...

Oh, and who will mount a car tire on a motorcycle? I have a feeling if I tried to get the motorcycle shop to do that they would refuse....

·
Registered
127 Posts
There are a bunch of examples on YouTube.

I just watched a couple of videos. I may have to give it a try since my Valkyrie is a daily commuter and I am already racking up the miles. I will just have to find a local shop that will install a car tire on a motorcycle.... (any recommendations on tire brand/model etc?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wonder how much traction you loose in cornering, for the price it's tempting I would like to hear some more input

·
Registered
5 Posts
It appeared that a friend of mine runs car tire on his HD, and this is not his first set. I may migrate to the dark side anytime soon too.

·
Registered
547 Posts
dark side of the moon is not for everybody. been there done that. they do handle well enough and require a bit more effort tipping in and holding a line as they want to return to straight as soon as possible. but they are manageable and can yield significant mileage between tire changes. Where they fit best is on a big tour bike that you are eating up the freeway miles cross country. Changing tires on the road at random dealers is muy $pensive. for 99% of the m/c crowd this is not your cup of tea. you want things ez and don't like conflict. so don't go there.

Mileage aside, m/c tires are finally catching up with current tire technology for wear and performance. In particular, Dunlop now makes Elite 3s and 4s which are known to last 25k miles. I just ran on a set off my 014 chieftain just under 25k. the front was still good for more, but what the heck, change them both. Elite 4s are now on big red. these tires can be had at tire discounters for ~$400 pair b4 tax and install.

so the car tire cost/mileage issue will soon be mute. the biggest issue was the hassle of short mileage change interval. poncho

·
Registered
547 Posts
ps. if you do go over to the dark side, recommend NOT going FAT on your rear tire as most cruiser guys tend to want to put the biggest widest tire they can squeeze on a rim and 'tween the fender.. the wider it is the harder it is to tip in and hold a line. Where as IF you get a reasonable or even smaller profile car tire to fit on your mc rim, you would find it to be almost imperceptible difference from that of a mc tire. Many new radial car tires do offer rounded edges that facilitate tip in effort. ok, so know you know. poncho

·
Registered
464 Posts
I can testify that you will not be able to go too wide. There is a plastic box that covers the wiring for rear lights and my new 200 connected with it. I think it was not connected properly in the first place. It has plastic snaps and I hate em. :mad:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I needed a rear tire for my CTX1300. Found a Michelin Commander II on Amazon for$171. When I went to order it the price was $200(200/55/17)
Found a (175/55/R17) for $56. Couldn't resist. Got it today and I like what I see. Will update in a few months.
Found a Michelin 200/17 at
Rockymountainatvmc.com
For $176
Looks like the price is rising.
Finally had to replace factory tires at 6000 miles. The car tire definitely handles differently. you have to muscle the bike over in a turn. hope i get used to it soon.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts