Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Commander was a 120/70/ZR19. It was on the bike when i bought it. I have no idea how many miles. I've ridden the bike for about 6,000 miles.

Shinko SR777 going on. 130/60/19

·
Registered
330 Posts
Shinko only makes the 777 130/60 19 in a bias 14 ply, and they call it "HD (Heavy Duty)" with weight rating of 67 instead of 61. My 777 just arrived today, and my 2nd consecutive Mich Cdr III 120R has just a few months left (disappointingly about half the lifespan of the previous Mich Cdr II 130/60Bias, and I hope to get the same long lifespan and good handling from the 777 that it yielded on my Magna.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The old Commander had balance beads in it. That and a constant 40 psi may have led to the nice even wear across the tire.

Shinko has 2 ounces of BB's in.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That Commander must have A LOT of miles on it or was ridden hard. Anyone I know whose put Commanders on their cruiser (Valk and non Valk) have gotten 15k+.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That Commander must have A LOT of miles on it or was ridden hard. Anyone I know whose put Commanders on their cruiser (Valk and non Valk) have gotten 15k+.

It was on when I bought the bike at 12,500 miles. Now it has 17,750.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I put on Commander III - front and rear last week - will keep this thread posted on how it holds up, there's a stark difference in the road grip while leaning and carving turns as compared to the stock Dunlop's and theoretically is wet-rated.I dig the road bite and how it hugs the asphalt.
Front - Commander III Touring - 130/60 B19
Rear - Commander III - 200/55 R17 ( surprisingly - Made in Spain )
Also, got a cool Michelin "summer relief" promotion which will get me a $60 gift card, not much but its better than nothing

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
4 Posts
I just installed the Shinko 777 130/60 on the front. It sticks well in the corners. I have about 400 miles on mine and no complaints. I haven't ridden in the wet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A gentle 125 mile scrub in run yesterday. I've used Shinkos on a few bikes and over 125,000 miles over the years. This one felt just as good as previous.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I put on Commander III - front and rear last week - will keep this thread posted on how it holds up, there's a stark difference in the road grip while leaning and carving turns as compared to the stock Dunlop's and theoretically is wet-rated.I dig the road bite and how it hugs the asphalt.
Front - Commander III Touring - 130/60 B19
Rear - Commander III - 200/55 R17 ( surprisingly - Made in Spain )
Also, got a cool Michelin "summer relief" promotion which will get me a $60 gift card, not much but its better than nothing
ashram, Where did you find the Commander III Touring - 130/60 B19 ? I had alerts set on multiple vendors and none ever responded, so I now have a new Shinko in the garage waiting for its' turn, but looking to identify the vendor that had it when so many others did not.

·
Registered
95 Posts
@Buster- I have a local motorcycle shop whom I get tires from and get it installed - they are reasonable and have always quoted better prices than dealerships / Cycle gear etc.. .they are more of a " dirt bike" shop but they do cruisers as well , and I believe they have a good connection with a Michelin distributor.Happy to pass on the details if you are interested on DM , if you'd like.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a local mom and pop tire place that charges me $15 to remove and fit new tire. Wheel off of course.

·
Registered
330 Posts
@Buster- I have a local motorcycle shop whom I get tires from and get it installed - they are reasonable and have always quoted better prices than dealerships / Cycle gear etc.. .they are more of a " dirt bike" shop but they do cruisers as well , and I believe they have a good connection with a Michelin distributor.Happy to pass on the details if you are interested on DM , if you'd like.
Thanks for the offer, Ashram - looks like the local shop would be in Calif so won't do me much good unless they have free shipping, but I was thinking it might be of benefit to others in the group, especially if it was an online location we haven't heard of. Plenty of other vendor links shared on this site when people ask, 'where do I find...." so I don't see any harm in giving them a plug, but I'm not an Admin.

·
Registered
95 Posts
this is the link to their online store , and they also have a 1800 # listed on there , so you can get in touch and see if they will do free shipping etc..
Wish you the best!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks Ashram and Farther, that's what I was hoping for, but the link brought up Motorhelmets and showed the 130Bias size out of stock and only the 120Radial (I'm finishing off my 2nd Mich Commander III in 120R and strongly prefer the 130B for ride-ability and more than twice the lifespan. Maybe you got the last 130B ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks Ashram and Farther, that's what I was hoping for, but the link brought up Motorhelmets and showed the 130Bias size out of stock and only the 120Radial (I'm finishing off my 2nd Mich Commander III in 120R and strongly prefer the 130B for ride-ability and more than twice the lifespan. Maybe you got the last 130B?
I would say - call them - and maybe they can get it from the distributor - (I also had to wait a week for them to get it) and ship it to you?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Brtiman & Trail Buzzard,
Any updates on the Shinko777, handling? Notice any noise? My Ravens were real noisy, I think it was the aggressive deep tread pattern. Looks like a viable option especially sticking with the original sizing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brtiman & Trail Buzzard,
Any updates on the Shinko777, handling? Notice any noise? My Ravens were real noisy, I think it was the aggressive deep tread pattern. Looks like a viable option especially sticking with the original sizing.
After only 125 miles I'm still scrubbing it in.

Noise? I use ear plugs and a full face. I can't hear anything different to the Commander.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I also ride with ear plugs and a full face helmet. I could still easily hear my Ravens screaming, I was hoping it was simply the aggressive tread pattern and Raven specific.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts