Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Everyone,

I'm planning my winter upgrades to the Valk, one will be a nice set of "driving lights"
The questions I have are:

Are "fog lights" and "driving lights" the same thing on the goldwing/valk? (I know on my car, the foglights are short throw fog lights) I'm interested in actual driving lights, lights that would light up the road, way down the road, not actual foglights that light up the road just a few feet in front of the bike.
So do I get a set of fog lights? or driving lights? (I'm looking for the lights that integrate into the lower cowling)

Which year goldwing kits fit the 14-15 Valkyrie? any special considerations for the electrical hookup? (ie some goldwing kits that won't' work with the Valk? ) I know the switch-gear is different between the bikes.?

Would the newer '19+ goldwing kits fit? (they look compact)

Which led driving lights are compact, bright and inconspicuous (when off)? (I'm not interested in daytime running lights, or turn signals in the lower cowling) I like the clean all blacked out look of the Valk, and would like to keep it that way.

Any ideas, experiences and thoughts welcome

Tazmool

·
Registered
183 Posts
I currently have the OEM foglights.. They're good. But if you can get an aftermarket with a proper switch that you can run with the highbeams do that.
But if you want OEM.. Im 99% sure the fogs for all Goldwing models will work for that gen Wing.
The 19+ wings likely won't. Wiring and harware completely different.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Rich Wentz, appreciate it.

I am definitely looking into being able to use the lights together with the highbeams, and from watching the installation videos, its just a matter of a jumper replacing a relay in the harness (I think even the OEM fog lights could be modified this way)

I've been doing some additional reading into the kits available, and it seems 2012-2017 goldwing lights are a direct install, before 2012 the lower cowling was made for a round lights, not the rectangular type the 12-17 wings and our Valk have (you could change the lower cowling on the Valk to match the round lights, but there is no advantage to doing that)

As for the harness, anything that will fit the airbag & FB6 should fit the Valkyrie.

I ordered a set of the PathFinder lights with the integrated turn signals and daytime running lights.
From what I've read elsewhere, these lights are made to be additional longer range lights supplementing the headlights (not short range fog lights) they shine a low rectangular pattern and are supposed to be of good quality.

I am not interested at all in the turn signals and daytime running lights, so I will not be enabling those, and I have been looking into blocking off the part of the lights with that function (to reduce the front lens cross sectional area and add to the blacked out look) I will know more when the kit arrives.

Not using the running lights and turn signals should make the installation much easier on the Valkyrie (no fishing extra cables etc etc) I think the turn signals on the Valk are great from the Factory (they are actually identical to the ones I had on my VFR1200XDA, which were great)

I'll post back again when I find out more.

Tazmool

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m running this set along with the admore adapter to make the turn signals functional. I’ve also done the modification that allows them to work with both high and low beams. They put off great light and I'm very happy with them.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I’m running this set along with the admore adapter to make the turn signals functional. I’ve also done the modification that allows them to work with both high and low beams. They put off great light and I'm very happy with them.

Those are the best looking/functional lights I've seen. If I was shopping, that would be my choice. Mine are simple bright LED, no turn, no daytime function.

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
273 Posts
Probably I’m guessing what you are looking for is called auxiliary lights like the BMW’s tend to run something along the lines of these:

These style are somewhat popular on the Goldwings and are mounted below the mirror pods of course being the red headed step-child I’m not sure exactly where you’d mount them on the Valk

·
Registered
128 Posts
My bike had lights in the lower fairing when I bought it. They were always on when the bike was on and did not switch between high and low beam intensity etc. They probably increased my visibility to other road users and I was never flashed by oncoming cars. They were adequate for some close illumination, but useless for way down the road performance to avoid animal strike etc. So they were just fine as 'fog' lights, not 'driving' lights.

2 reasons for that:
1 - they just weren't that powerful;
2 - they are mounted too low.

For lights to be really effective for way down the road driving performance they need to be powerful and must be mounted high. That may upset the 'look' of the bike in the eyes of some beholders, but that is where proper driving lights need to be. To meet local regs they were on only with the high beam.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Thanks for that tip Chris. I watched the very informative installation video already and will very likely get a set of these lights. Good onya!

·
Registered
183 Posts

This is what I should of gotten over the OEM. Met Goldy riders with them. They're better and cheaper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts