Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
oem fog light on with high and low beam

Take the left side panel where the switch for the fog light are off. You will see a clear sleeve that protects the the connector. The relay in there signal the lights to go off on high beam. The blue wire is the signal wire. I remove the female connector from the plug with a paper clip and tape it up. Reinstalled relay, tested and lights stay on both high and low beam. Sorry but I did not test it with the relay unplug, you might try and test it with out the relay. The relay is not shown in the wiring diagam. It is part of the fog light wiring pig tail.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you have not done so already, you may want to check the motor vehicle laws in your state!
In some states (like mine, New Hampshire), motorcycle auxiliary lighting (fog lights, driving lights, etc.) must be installed such that they only stay on with lowbeam on in the main headlamp. If you switch to highbeam, they need to go off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you have not done so already, you may want to check the motor vehicle laws in your state!
In some states (like mine, New Hampshire), motorcycle auxiliary lighting (fog lights, driving lights, etc.) must be installed such that they only stay on with lowbeam on in the main headlamp. If you switch to highbeam, they need to go off.

HondaBilly when you say "driving lights" do you mean:

A) high powered, see deer from a mile away lights or

B) low power lights so that other road users can see you?

Here in Australia lights like 'A' can only be wired with high beam. We would call them driving lights or spot lights. :nerd: Using them implies that you are out in the sticks and there is no oncoming traffic.

Lights like 'B' can be on or off with high or low beam. We would call them fog or daylight running lights (DRLs). On low they are mainly for show, on highbeam they are irrelevant as they don't help much with seeing wildlife.

I'm just surprised that your New Hampshire authorities would take away from you the opportunity to see well up ahead on quiet country roads.

·
Registered
61 Posts
HondaBilly when you say "driving lights" do you mean:

A) high powered, see deer from a mile away lights or

B) low power lights so that other road users can see you?

Here in Australia lights like 'A' can only be wired with high beam. We would call them driving lights or spot lights. :nerd: Using them implies that you are out in the sticks and there is no oncoming traffic.

Lights like 'B' can be on or off with high or low beam. We would call them fog or daylight running lights (DRLs). On low they are mainly for show, on highbeam they are irrelevant as they don't help much with seeing wildlife.

I'm just surprised that your New Hampshire authorities would take away from you the opportunity to see well up ahead on quiet country roads.

In New Hampshire, ANY auxiliary lighting other than the main headlamp beam(s) must be wired to go out when turning on high beams.
As an example of this regulation, in New Hampshire the lower fog lamps on all three Honda Goldwing varieties - Full Dress, F6B, and Valkyrie - are wired such that they will illuminate only when high beams are off. If highs are on, even if you press the switch to turn on the fogs, they do not illuminate. Accordingly, if the fog switch is on, the fogs will illuminate only when highs are off. If you switch from low beam to high with fog lights on, even though the fog light switch is on, the fog lights will go out.
Same thing goes for any other type of "auxiliary" lighting.

·
Registered
547 Posts
In New Hampshire, ANY auxiliary lighting Same thing goes for any other type of "auxiliary" lighting.
is this an operational safety type regulation? do they actually enforce it? or is it just another Revenue Generating compliancy trip wire?

·
Registered
61 Posts
All I can tell you, Poncho, is that unless all auxiliary lighting on a motorcycle goes off when switching to high beams, that motorcycle will not pass NH State Inspection!
New Hampshire has other nit picky regulations, too, like the color of your rear directional lights!
The rear directional lights on some motorcycles are red.
Others are orange.
Unless they are red (not orange), the bike cannot be modified to have them function as directionals as well as tail lights and brake lights. My Victory Gunner had orange rear directionals. I once bought a module to have those lights modified so that they were ON all the time, along with the central fender tail light/brake light, and they would also function as both directionals and brake lights. The technician no sooner opened the package, when he came out and told me that he could NOT perform the modification because NH law does not allow it when the directional lights are orange!
We then explored all his manuals searching for red replacement lenses for the lights, but none were available.
I would have had to put new, red directional light fixtures on the bike, which would have been a couple of hundred bucks.

As you may guess, I said the HECK with it, and rode away with my orange rear directional lights!

Go figure......

·
Registered
547 Posts
HB, well there you go, Gov'ment at its finest. restricting your freedoms and ability to improve upon the status quo. and of course you complied. In another era and/or locale, true patriot freedom fighters are changing their blinkers as they see fit. If somebody were to ask, they would just say well that's the way it came from the factory/dealer/previous owner. IF pressed, then change them back stock, get annual anal inspection and then put the dam things back on your sled as you please. Once a year, the governor wants to look up your hiney, your obliged to wash it for him/her..
wasn't NH one of the firstest to fire a shot at ol king George? what is their flag, a cannon with the words "come and take it!" .. oh, no, that's the flag over Goliad Texas. even our littlest towns have that "bite me" attitude!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hear you.
The NH license place says, "Live Free or Die" on it.
Yeah...RIGHT!
I bought that rear directional module to make the bike safer...to give me more light on the rear of the vehicle - central tail light AND directional lights ON all the time.
Fortunately, the module was ordered for me by the parts department at that same Victory dealership, so they had to take it back and give me back my money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts