Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Valkyrie
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old Garmin was 10 years-old and made for a car, so I had it in a zipper case with a clear cover. Using the screen while in the case was difficult at best, so it was time for an upgrade. I found a good deal on the Zumo XT for $100 off, so I pulled the trigger.

The downside of many GPS's is importing custom routes from Google Maps. The ZXT does it very well after a short learning curve. We had a 4-day ride and I created a different track for each day. I was able to drag the route where I wanted it, export it, and then import it to the ZXT via wi-fi or bluetooth.

One drawback of using the tracks is the limited customizing of the Trip Data. For example, it won't allow the Distance to Next Turn to be displayed. What the heck? The turn directions are still available thru audio, but we use our intercoms between riders, so that wasn't an option.

A nice feature of the Zumo series is the Motorcycle (Adventerous) Mode. Instead of selecting the fastest route, you can select 4 varying levels of twisties, highways, or interstates. The strictest setting will take you on some roads that may be undesirable for cruisers. We found that out. But it's still a great feature for selecting country and curvy roads.

PROS: Water-resistant, bright display, easy to use (it's a Garmin), wi-fi, bluetooth, syncs to phone, and lifetime map updates.

CONS: Limited customizing of navigation screen using Tracks, incident reporting does not tell distance to the incident but only the address, and the north arrow is missing as with previous Garmins.

All things considered, I give this GPS an 8 out of 10. I'd buy it again.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've been looking at Garmins lately. The last time I purchased one was probably 15 years ago when they were really thick and relatievly slow. Like TV's and computer monitors, they've slimmed down a lot. I've been using my phone for GPS for many years now, but sometimes it lags my actual position significantly and becomes useless. And I know it taxes the processor because the phone always gets very warm when I use it. So I thought maybe I'd save wear on the phone and look into a more accurate product. The Zumo I know is made for motorcycles, but I've never been clear what advantages they offer over regular GPS units for cars. I suspect it's esoteric stuff beyond getting me from A to B. And that is really all I need GPS for. I looked around and there are some very nice ones (not Zumos) in the $60 range, but I can't tell one from another. I can't find a good comparison chart, and those that do often show features that I don't even know what they are. If you or anyone has a good recommendation for one that fits my needs, I'm all ears. I'm only interested in Garmin because that's what I know and have experience with.

Thanks!

Richmonder

Reactions: BikerDude

·
Registered
2014 Valkyrie
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The disadvantage of car GPS's is they're not waterproof. I had mine in a zipper case with a clear cover, but it made the screen navigation very difficult thru the case, especially with gloves on. I was able to navigate my Zumo even with gloves on.

Another downside of using the phone for GPS is being in an area without coverage, or receiving a call while navigating. Having a separate GPS keeps the phone free to be a phone.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm not familiar with how GPS works compared to cellular GPS. Does it work in the absence of cell signal? I often find myself in those situations and have to rely on instinct until cell service is restored.

Richmonder

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've had all kinds of GPSs ever since my first TomTom for my car. It was huge. And it did exactly what I bought it for so I bought one for my mother so she wouldn't get lost going to bridge club anymore. (She got such a kick out of actually being the first one to arrive for once in her life!) I've tried them all, including Garmin. I haven't used any for several years, as I use my phone, so I won't bother to comment on which I preferred. They're a bit like radar detectors. When there weren't Smartphones yet, they were necessary and effective. Internal radar systems on many new cars (for lane changing warnings, "smart" cruise control, etc.) have made many radar detectors more of a pain in the arse as opposed to helping at the right time. And yes, I've tried all of the radar detector brands. I use WAZE on my phone and have never been let down. I love their warnings for cops and, more importantly, the "debris in the road ahead" warnings. Wonderful for cars, critical for bikes. Knowing that there is a tire in the middle of the road, at night, a mile in advance is priceless, as the ad says. Granted, I live in SE Central Illinois and I can always get a signal almost anywhere in the state.
Last thought: has anyone else here used the Calimoto app? I've used it for fun for the past two years and wanted everyone to know it's a worthwhile, fun app for bikers. Great for putting ride routes together, based on what kind of ride you're looking for.

·
Registered
2014 Valkyrie
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not familiar with how GPS works compared to cellular GPS. Does it work in the absence of cell signal? I often find myself in those situations and have to rely on instinct until cell service is restored.
The GPS uses satellite. The mobile requires a cellphone tower.

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
273 Posts
I bought the over-priced 595LMT piece of garbage and 3 months later they came out with the new one… real world question how is the brightness? This is supposed to be TFT right? the 595 is horrible put on an Arai dark visor and it’s atrocious I mean I did get tire pressure monitoring which the new one doesn’t have but other than that… it sucks

·
Registered
2014 Valkyrie
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Zumo views great with my polarized prescription sunglasses, even in direct sunlight. I never had a problem seeing the screen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts