Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to meet a friend of mine for lunch today and he was dying to see the Valk, so I suited up and rode to his place. Mostly interstate riding so I got to open 'er up a bit. All the way to the speed limit of 70, the bike just cruised effortlessly. Felt like 45. Seems like whatever speed you're going, it's faster than it feels. My friend was blown away when he saw it. I was soaked in sweat from the black gear and the 90 degree heat and humidity. After lunch, I was cruising down the interstate and on my left, a Gold Wing Valk was merging. I don't think he even saw me. I tried to catch up to him but traffic wasn't cooperating, and off he went. I was trapped in my lane.

This evening as the sun was setting, I was setting out to go take a few pics by the river near me as I do with every new bike I get, and a guy in my neighborhood was riding by on a brand new Honda Monkey 125! He did a double take and pulled in my driveway, and said "Is THAT a VALKYRIE?". He couldn't believe he was seeing one in the wild, much less in the neighborhood. We stopped and chatted about our bikes a good while and I made a new friend.

I took off and rode down to the river, and it's very scenic down there. A great place to take a few shots. So here they are. Hope they come out aligned properly (and if they don't, can the moderator help? I am having fits trying to get my images to load on here properly despite them looking aligned on my computer).

Richmonder

Attachments

Reactions: Smitty79

·
Registered
712 Posts
Beast - especially that middle shot. You just need to get that sticker off the tank now. I used a hair dryer and an old credit card (as a scraper). Congratulations and may your rides be many ;)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I notice most guys take the stickers off, but I'm afraid of damaging the finish. I don't like them, but I need to work up the courage. If I marred that paint I'd be most unhappy with myself.

Richmonder

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thanks! I notice most guys take the stickers off, but I'm afraid of damaging the finish. I don't like them, but I need to work up the courage. If I marred that paint I'd be most unhappy with myself.

Richmonder
Slow and steady with a hair dryer + plastic scraper = safe. That paint is tough stuff. Take more than that to hurt it. You'll probably have a bit of glue residue to clean off afterwards. I just use turps (don't know what you call it there). Easy and no blemishing. Leaving ugly stickers on coz you're worried about ugly paint is an oxymoron.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You've inspired me to get those stickers off. They are ugly and must be removed! And yes, those stickers are huge so the police can easily read them from afar. Car stickers look just like them.

Richmonder

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah - get rid of the sticker with a hair dryer. I used my fingernail and got it off with no scratches. I would be mindful about that battery tender though. If it moves at all, it will scratch your paint.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll get on it. I've seen several vids say you need to use some sort of solvent on the adhesive to get it off. Some say turpentine, others say plain old alcohol and I've even seen some use WD-40. I guess anything in that list would work. I'll probably start with WD40 since it's likely to be least destructive to paint.

On that battery tender, I note there is a little piece of plastic screwed in to the side cover over the battery. It appears to block that opening so air doesn't get through. I was thinking I could unscrew that backing piece and just let the tender hang through there, and keep it short by using a zip tie on the rest of the cord. Thoughts? I want easy access to the tender but don't want it damaging anything in the wind.

Richmonder

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'll get on it. I've seen several vids say you need to use some sort of solvent on the adhesive to get it off. Some say turpentine, others say plain old alcohol and I've even seen some use WD-40. I guess anything in that list would work. I'll probably start with WD40 since it's likely to be least destructive to paint.

On that battery tender, I note there is a little piece of plastic screwed in to the side cover over the battery. It appears to block that opening so air doesn't get through. I was thinking I could unscrew that backing piece and just let the tender hang through there, and keep it short by using a zip tie on the rest of the cord. Thoughts? I want easy access to the tender but don't want it damaging anything in the wind.

Richmonder
Nice pics!!! That battery tender cable by the side cover, I put an SAE to SAE connector extension wire on mine, ran it up and zip tied to the handlebars, so VERY easy to plug in for charging, or I plug a small Volt meter with SAE connector on one side and 2 high-speed USB ports on the other side to power phone for music and navigation and calls from the Bluetooth helmet. A friend and I were speed dialing each other on the road in Colorado, helmet to helmet phone connection was pretty cool when there wasn't a lot of wind noise.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well! If NOTHING else, and I do mean, nothing else, I got the stickers off the tank today. Removal was quite easy and I'm not even sure the hair dryer had to be used. I used alcohol to remove the remaining adhesive, and it toook a good bit of elbow grease, to the point I was starting to worry about the finish getting removed. Once the adhesive was all gone, I had a huge circular smear all over the paint, and I was scared to death it was going to be permanent. But I got out the Meguiar's Quick Detailer and a soft rag and rubbed it all out. No residue and no obvious former stickers. One more task out of the way! That's probably the only easy task I'll have! Now I need to get the power port on and the saddlebags mounted. Dreading both those tasks.

Richmonder

1 - 11 of 11 Posts