Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be the first 2014 Valkyrie owner to have the ECU re-flashed by Guhl Motors. (sorry about the spelling in the subject line. Should be Guhl)

http://www.guhlmotors.com/

Don said although the ECM is different from the GoldWing and the F6B, the technology inside appears to be the same and so he will begin the tune today. I should get it back tomorrow.

Changes will be:
custom air/fuel ratio for improved power over the entire rpm range.
Increase timing in all gears (I got the timing for 92 or 93 octane for max performance).
Remove the top speed limiter of 124 mph.
Raise the rev limiter by 500 rpm to 6,500.

Note: The stock tune has the timing retarded in 1st (and I think also 2nd) gear. This tune will allow full timing in all gears. That's why GoldWing owners have reported it feels like a 15% increase in power even though the dyno charts shows more like a 5% improvement. The dyno charts are taken in 4th or 5th gear. If you did a dyno chart before and after in 1st gear, it would show a much higher improvement because of the much higher timing in that gear.

I will report back after I get a chance to try it out this weekend.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I received it back Saturday. Being the ECU is located under the seat, it only takes few seconds to removed it or put it back in. I got a chance to ride it yesterday. It has improved throttle response and I can tell it accelerated quicker in 1st gear. Rolling the throttle on during upper gear cruise...maybe a little better pull but It's not like you will notice a complete night vs day change in the motorcycle. But I'm glad I did it. Some people might not notice enough difference in performance to justify $375.00. It's just not a dramatic change. Don says he has a different tune if the cats are removed so if I do remove them, I will send it back for that tune. I want to ask him a few questions about that and see if he thinks its worth doing.

I did come to a complete stop on a section of remote road and gave it a spirited start and it very pleasingly laid down a nice straight strip of rubber for about 10 yards with a pleasant tire squeal before catching full traction and moving out. This was not dumping the clutch from a standstill but just rolling the throttle to full open as I started to move. That felt really good! That was with an almost full tank of gas. I think with a low fuel level, I could bring the front tire off the ground. If I do, I'll be sure to get some pictures and post them. That would make an impressive picture.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Some thoughts:

I am familiar with Guhl's work from my prior VFR1200F. I didn't have mine reflashed, but many others did and it really helped. The VFR has some serious fueling glitches that make the bike almost unridable at slower speeds due to the driveline snatching and the 1/2 gear restriction is *very* restrictive.

I traded my VFR towards the Valkyrie. A lot of the reason was the poor fueling and poor fuel economy (<40MPG, premium fuel required). There are other reasons which are more complicated but in the end the bike did not "do it" for me.

However, IMO, the Valkyrie is the most "finished" motorcycle I have owned. (I think I am on #16 at this point?)

The fueling is perfect. I am quite satisfied with the 125MPH limiter. I get fantastic mileage (48-49 over 7,000 miles).

I can't think of anything Guhl could fix on the bike BUT - if it turns out that his reflash makes an awesome bike into an even more awesome bike, I will do it!

I do wonder about some things:

1 - How does this affect the warranty? (I have a 4yr unlimited warranty.)

2 - I know the ignition is retarded a lot in 1st and 2nd gear. I have had bikes with much less power pull much harder. But, perhaps this ignition retarding is safer and gentler on the drivetrain? Every bike I own I ride pretty hard WRT acceleration so if the flash made it launch quicker I would wear out a lot of rear tires! Maybe the bike's restriction is there to supplement that part of my brain that chooses to do risky things? Because in my brain that part is broken!

3 - How will it affect the fuel economy? Sure gas is much cheaper right now but what if it hits $4 a gallon? I was paying nearly $3.75 a gallon this summer for the no-ethanol fuel I use. It sure is nice to be able to clock 250 miles for under $20.

I have a regular Gold Wing as well, that never gets ridden anymore. Same engine. Same drivetrain. At one time I thought the GW was the gold standard for smoothness but the Valkyrie is a lot better in almost every category. I think the Valkyrie is one of those bikes that comes along every once in a while that is greater than the sum of its parts. It isn't a popular bike. I doubt they sell many of them. I know I never even considered it until I got bored one day when I was wandering around the dealership. That's too bad because I think it would be a fantastic bike for a lot of people if they could just get beyond the styling (I like it!) or the fact that it is not a H-D.

To put it more simpler: I used to always be looking at new bikes. Visiting dealers. Reading forums. Now? I don't want a different bike. I would buy it again without question.

Sorry for the long message. I got carried away!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I almost forgot: Did you have it dynotuned by Guhl as part of the process? If so, did you get any torque/HP/AFR graphs?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Another thought: I put a fuel controller in my Fury and both of my VTX1800's. In all 3 cases the bikes became much nicer to ride. (I really value smooth fueling!)

In all 3 of those cases the fuel controller (Cobra PowrPro) was around $450 or so. So the reflash from Guhl, which does more and does it probably better, is a good value, IMO.

I'm not convinced the Valkyrie needs it though but I am willing to be proven wrong!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some thoughts:

1 - How does this affect the warranty? (I have a 4yr unlimited warranty.)

2 - I know the ignition is retarded a lot in 1st and 2nd gear. I have had bikes with much less power pull much harder. But, perhaps this ignition retarding is safer and gentler on the drivetrain? Every bike I own I ride pretty hard WRT acceleration so if the flash made it launch quicker I would wear out a lot of rear tires! Maybe the bike's restriction is there to supplement that part of my brain that chooses to do risky things? Because in my brain that part is broken!

3 - How will it affect the fuel economy? Sure gas is much cheaper right now but what if it hits $4 a gallon? I was paying nearly $3.75 a gallon this summer for the no-ethanol fuel I use. It sure is nice to be able to clock 250 miles for under $20.

I have a regular Gold Wing as well, that never gets ridden anymore. Same engine. Same drivetrain. At one time I thought the GW was the gold standard for smoothness but the Valkyrie is a lot better in almost every category. I think the Valkyrie is one of those bikes that comes along every once in a while that is greater than the sum of its parts. It isn't a popular bike. I doubt they sell many of them. I know I never even considered it until I got bored one day when I was wandering around the dealership. That's too bad because I think it would be a fantastic bike for a lot of people if they could just get beyond the styling (I like it!) or the fact that it is not a H-D.

To put it more simpler: I used to always be looking at new bikes. Visiting dealers. Reading forums. Now? I don't want a different bike. I would buy it again without question.

Sorry for the long message. I got carried away!

I agree the Valk is finished perfectly and not much to not like.
"may affect your warranty" would be how I say it. If some how you managed to blow the engine and the dealer checked the ecm, you would be out of luck. But the ecm flash is still very conservative and I don't think it adds any significant risk to engine trouble. Pretty much any other warranty issue and I don't think the dealer will check your ecm tune. Not many bikes, especially Gold Wings have modified ecm's so most dealers are not like to be looking for it.

I'm sure the timing retard in 1st (and 2nd) gear is for liability to keep people from getting in trouble. It started on sport bikes years ago to help keep the front wheel on the ground.

I'll have to check mileage but at highway cruise, I don't think it will have much affect.

Overall I like the new tune. Is it supper smooth, responsive and linear. But, it could result in more rear tires from the fun factor taking off from a red light.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I almost forgot: Did you have it dynotuned by Guhl as part of the process? If so, did you get any torque/HP/AFR graphs?

No. I sent him my ecm. I did not do a before dyno run but we know pretty much what stock looks like. I plan to do an after dyno run at some point.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another thought: I put a fuel controller in my Fury and both of my VTX1800's. In all 3 cases the bikes became much nicer to ride. (I really value smooth fueling!)

In all 3 of those cases the fuel controller (Cobra PowrPro) was around $450 or so. So the reflash from Guhl, which does more and does it probably better, is a good value, IMO.

I'm not convinced the Valkyrie needs it though but I am willing to be proven wrong!
I really can't say the Valkyrie "needs" it either. It's pretty darn good from the factory. For the price, it is a pretty good deal. There might be time I want to go over 125 mph. Not too often. There may be a time when I need to rev it up to 6500 rpm. Not too often. Then there's the little extra fun factor that I will use often. So I can not honestly say everyone should go do this. But is sounds like you are a good candidate like I was. I don't regret it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had full intentions of doing this mod having had a Triumph Rocket before the Valk but with my 7 year unlimited mileage warranty, I'd better not take any chances that they may void my warranty.

I'll let you know how I like this mod in 2021!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had full intentions of doing this mod having had a Triumph Rocket before the Valk but with my 7 year unlimited mileage warranty, I'd better not take any chances that they may void my warranty.

I'll let you know how I like this mod in 2021!
Yea it would be hard to do if you have invested in a 7 year warranty. I always decline extended warranties because I know I'm probably going to void it myself as soon as I get home.

·
Registered
74 Posts
hey guys check out my thread on gulh's ecu. mod.in honda appearance & modification section on this site for a recent update what might not be working on his flash!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys check out my thread on gulh's ecu. mod.in honda appearance & modification section on this site for a recent update what might not be working on his flash!

At this time, I don't think he has figured out how to removed the top speed limter on the new Valkyrie. I sent my ECU back to him a couple times and it still stops accelerating at 127 mph. The power is reduced around 123 mph and you can feel it then slowly climbs to 127 mph then holds 126-127 mph. There are revs left and it's still pulling hard until it hit's the soft limit around 123.

He needs to get one in his shop on a dyno to figure it out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts