Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,everyone. My final drive is bad on my 2014 Valkyrie. Will drives out of other Gold Wings fit it and if so, which ones. Thanks for the forum and letting me join.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is the first one I heard of going bad. What happened?

Anyway I checked the part numbers. Looks like all the internals are the same. The case does have a different part number between the valk and GW. Will it fit? Probably. Just have to see. The godwing rears can be had cheap from the trike dudes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure what happened. After I purchased the motorcycle in the spring I checked the fluid level.It took about 1oz to top it off. After my last trip I thought I heard a growling noise under load. I drained it and dark gray fine powder came out with the fluid. I flushed it out with new fluid several times and refilled it. Going to test ride tomorrow but do not have much hope that it will work. Do you have any idea what group of years will work. Like 2014 thru 2018. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am not sure what happened. After I purchased the motorcycle in the spring I checked the fluid level.It took about 1oz to top it off. After my last trip I thought I heard a growling noise under load. I drained it and dark gray fine powder came out with the fluid. I flushed it out with new fluid several times and refilled it. Going to test ride tomorrow but do not have much hope that it will work. Do you have any idea what group of years will work. Like 2014 thru 2018. Thanks for your help
You may not have a problem at all. Mileage ? The factory fluid has a bit of "moly paste" mixed in,off the gear set from factory,may account for the gray looking stuff in fluid. The moly in the final drive was discussed many,many times on the old VTX fourm. VERY rare to lose one of these finals.......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It only had 2000 miles on it when I purchased. It now has 6000. I took some of the gray material, wiped it on a paper towel and a magnet picked up the paper towel.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds like the rear wasn't properly setup from the factory. Internals are probably the same. Can anyone confirm if the gear ratio is the same as any other Wing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone for the help. I have test drove and did not hear anything unusual. The final drive housing was warm but not so hot that I could not hold my hand on it. Still I can't help thinking that with that metallic powder something is deteriorating. I am going to go on and try to find one. I am going to ride this about 500 miles., then drain it and see how it looks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Have you checked the warrenty. You may have a leftover 2014 still covered. There was a guy producing higher gear ratio rear ends. send him your final and he send higher ratio final. he should have plenty of old gears. search you tube

·
Registered
316 Posts
...There was a guy producing higher gear ratio rear ends. send him your final and he send higher ratio final. he should have plenty of old gears. search you tube
Here the info you're referring to that I pulled together from multiple sources:

As of last month, the price went up to $1265 plus shipping with $150 refund when you return the old drive, Henry pays return postage.

Final Drive Gear – Henry Park - [email protected]
“The gear set is made from 8620 Steel.
The Gear set is then Heat Treated. (For Strength/longevity.)
https://henrysfinaldrive.com/ He was sold out Sept 2020, more stock expected Oct 15th on the web page after getting a multipage article in WingWorld Sept 2020 requires GWRRA membership) first 2 pages:
https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60064

8620 Steel is the very same Steel used in the Drive Ring & Pinion that Honda uses,!! Henry has been in the Automotive & Off Road Ring & Pinion Business for over 20 years.

He also runs a very successful US Military Heavy equipment parts business.

He has been working on this Modified Drive for just over 4 years now.
He's taken the time to make a proven Drive.
By testing it himself in his own bike, and with the help of a few other Beta testers.
Not one has had any issues! One very positive report from Steve K in Edgewater, FL with 4800 miles so far. 12/12 guarantee

Also requires recalibration of the speedometer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is a very interesting setup. If it works as it says, might be worth swapping out for him if his drive is going out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The drive may very well last 200000 miles as is. Honda puts moly on the new gears. They will mesh,wear in during break in. I honestly think this is normal......Besides the drive being a little low (common) as has been found on most of these bikes. This may very well be a case of worrying over nothing.Another post is floating somewhere on here that is basically the same. Had another member get defensive over my post. The first change will look rough even though Honda says leave it in there for a good while ....... JMHO .... ;)

Here is another post I found pretty quick : https://www.f6cforum.com/forum/129-...lk/9898-drive-shaft-gear-oil-lube-change.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have read all of this information. I appreciate all of it. The higher gear ratio sounds interesting . I have always thought that the RPMs were too high. I hope that I am worrying about nothing and it will last several hundred thousand miles. I am going to take a 3,000 mile trip loaded and 2 up shortly. That should let me know. Thanks again for your comments.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update on the status of my final drive. I have taken two rides now, the first 2000 miles loaded and two up. The second 2,500 miles loaded but just one person. I have drained the fluid after each trip and have found no new debris. I sure feel a lot better about it now. Looks like I was worried about nothing. Don't I look the silly one? I will keep an eye on it and let you know if anything changes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just an update on the status of my final drive. I have taken two rides now, the first 2000 miles loaded and two up. The second 2,500 miles loaded but just one person. I have drained the fluid after each trip and have found no new debris. I sure feel a lot better about it now. Looks like I was worried about nothing. Don't I look the silly one? I will keep an eye on it and let you know if anything changes.

Glad it worked out for you. Nothing wrong with being overprotective of your baby!!!:)

·
Registered
316 Posts
So what did you end up going with, just changing out the fluid and trying it out, or a used drive, or the Henry Park higher gear ratio option?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have just changed it out for now. I am going to keep an eye on it and check it occasionally. Let higher gear ratio sounds good but I think I will wait for now and see how mine does.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts