Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been beaten to death but after much thought and procrastination coupled with even more thinking... I drilled 1/2" holes in the plugged exhaust. I'm very happy with it. Sounds much better, deeper at idle and richer at speed. No leaky exhaust sound and I feel zero power loss. If you decide to do this used a good drill bit and be patient.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where exactly did you drill the holes? Can you post pics?

I drilled the holes in the plugged ports at the end of each exhaust pipe. There's 3 on each side, 2 are plugged and one is open, I drilled out the plugged ones. I'll post some pics when I get off work but there's an exhaust thread that has pics on it if you search. That's how I found out about it in the first place and decided to go for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You explained it well. Pics are not necessary (unless you want). Thanks for the information and I plan on doing that same thing in the spring.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You explained it well. Pics are not necessary (unless you want). Thanks for the information and I plan on doing that same thing in the spring.
If and when you do, let us know what you think. It's so subjective and the more input as to quality of sound the better. Sound clips never help, unless just comparing two or more against each other. They never sound like "real-life".

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was on the fence about it for 8 months or so, just trying to decide if it would be worth it. I finally just said screw it and tried it out. So far I'm very happy with the sound. I agree with KUGO, sound clips are so subjective and differ from bike to bike or video to video. I like the fact that it sounds less like a hopped up sewing machine now and more like a motorcycle!

·
Registered
6 Posts
That explains so much! My dad had a Valkyrie and I rode that one a bit, then I wound up buying an identical one back in November. The sounds on mine I thought was a lot better, but couldn't identify why as they're the same pipes. But now inspecting the pipes, I see the previous owner must have done this drilling.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This might sound like a dumb question. But here goes....
Is there exhaust gas exiting now through the two new holes you drilled?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was on the fence about it for 8 months or so, just trying to decide if it would be worth it. I finally just said screw it and tried it out. So far I'm very happy with the sound. I agree with KUGO, sound clips are so subjective and differ from bike to bike or video to video. I like the fact that it sounds less like a hopped up sewing machine now and more like a motorcycle!
That’s too funny that you said that! I have a friend who does sewing as a side gig and she said that same thing about the sound being like an industrial size sewing machine! Time to fix that...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Absolutely! When my wife told me it sounded like a motorcycle now versus a sewing machine, I knew I had made the right decision!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Absolutely! When my wife told me it sounded like a motorcycle now versus a sewing machine, I knew I had made the right decision!
Glad you're happy with the results! And congrats on having the cajones to go for it. Many of the rest of us are like Mikey's brothers: "No thanks, YOU try it!" It's a bit of a hassle to plug up the holes once they're drilled.

As you gain more experience (miles) with it, let us know if you notice any differences, e.g. mpg, sound changing over time, perceived power differences, good or bad. I've wondered if that mod might change the torque curve any. Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you're happy with the results! And congrats on having the cajones to go for it. Many of the rest of us are like Mikey's brothers: "No thanks, YOU try it!" It's a bit of a hassle to plug up the holes once they're drilled.

As you gain more experience (miles) with it, let us know if you notice any differences, e.g. mpg, sound changing over time, perceived power differences, good or bad. I've wondered if that mod might change the torque curve any. Thanks for your feedback!

Certainly. The MPG has stayed roughly the same but I ride kinda aggressively, if you catch my drift, and it's hard to get a good guess. I plan on taking a long trip soon and I'll have a better feel then. I will say that by the seat of the pants feel, she seems to have a little more pep in her step. I can't back this up with hard numbers but it just feels peppier if that makes sense. I'll keep ya'll posted as I get more miles on her.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's funny, sewing machine or not, I really like the way it sounds. It sounds like a futuristic rocket type thing to me. Especially going along at night, I have some small aftermarket wind screen that the front signals/driving lights kind of light up the edges of in a very TRON-esque manner, and it adds to the feel. If I wanted deep rumble "real motorcycle" sounds I would have bought the old Valkyrie or a VTX1800.

Reactions: Smitty79 and KUGO

·
Registered
248 Posts
Do you have to wear ear plugs now? I'd rather not take it to THAT level...but deeper would be nice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
More blurt = more spurt? I remember as a youngster ripping mufflers off cars and being convinced it gave them more go. Psychological I suspect.
Bingo!! When I was in H.S. I was finally allowed to get a "motorcycle". Or, as my insurance-agent father, bent on poring over motorcycle injury/fatality stats, defined it. It was a Lambretta 125 scooter. Sounded better and ran better than the old blue and ivory Cushman he'd "restored" (new belt = restored) and let me ride in the back yard. I'd strap my trumpet case to the back (was in the band and orchestra) and would ride the Lambretta to school every day, winter included, in Iowa. I painted the thing bright yellow (dad thought that would improve my safety odds) and, unbeknownst to him, drilled a 1/2" hole right through the exhaust pipe so "true motorcycle sound" would emanate from the two holes. When I'd get anywhere close to home, I'd take off the side cover, insert a half-inch bolt with accompanying nut, and putt-putt back home and into the driveway with no one the wiser. I thought it added about 50 HP at the time. Which is really something considering it never had anything close to two digits of power leaving the factory. Crystallized three different drive shafts on that puppy over a period of about three years. (But was a hoot with the front wheel in the air.) Am so glad I survived idiot-hood.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you have to wear ear plugs now? I'd rather not take it to THAT level...but deeper would be nice.

Not at all. It has a deeper sound at idle but when you are riding it is barley noticeable. It sounds much better than stock but it is in no way loud like the previous V-Twins I've owned. I liken it to when I had my second Harley years ago with stock pipes and drilled a hole in the baffle to get some sound. Not obnoxious at all just a little deeper and louder that stock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Two words: Torque Masters

I tried several times to get a hold of him and ask a few questions with no luck. I'd love to get a set and put the Torque Loops on as well. But for now I'll stick with this cheap mod until I can talk to him and order both.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well... Out of sheer boredom and a few beers, I decided to drill out the next backing plate behind the holes I drilled previously. My original holes were 1/2" holes and the new holes are 3/8". If you don't like loud and obnoxious then don't do this. It is much louder. It does have a little bit of a leaky exhaust note when you rev it hard but I love it! Bike sounds as mean as it looks now.
I also consulted a friend who works at a Honda dealership in my area. He basically told me that back pressure shouldn't be an issue with the size of the holes I drilled and the massive cats on the bike. People do it all the time and he says that it really won't change the performance or degrade it as the flow isn't all that much improved or changed. I don't recommend it if you like the stock exhaust sound and I barely notice it when I'm riding at 55mph plus. I definitely hear it more at lower speeds but I'm very happy with my decision. And if I grow to dislike it I'll buy a set of slip ons and modify them to fit the bike. If I could figure out how to post the sound clips of both mods I would...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts