Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an owner of a CTX 1300, I note that the Valkyrie has a very similar engine sound, which involves a humming sound like a sewing machine intermixed with the normal engine growl, as has been used as a descriptor. I was told the unique sound of the CTX is due to its straight, as opposed to helical, gearing. Does the Valkyrie also have this straight gearing? The engine sound is so similar and I can't imagine it making this sound unless it has similar mechanical operation. Thanks!

Richmonder

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
273 Posts
To me it has always sounded like a cross between a car and a spaceship... the Valk does have a different exhaust note from a Goldwing though I noted that a couple of weeks ago as a tech hopped on mine to pull it around to the shop I was like that darn thing has a healthy growl to it... Sewing machine? No a Harley big twin sounds like a old singer sewing machine

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I distinctly hear that high pitched whine that comes from straight gears like on my CTX, but I can't confirm anywhere whether that's the cause. I have an inquiry in to Honda. We'll see how that goes...

Richmonder

·
Registered
88 Posts
I cannot say for sure----BUT I HAVE BEEN TOLD---the high pitch whine is the oil pump gears.

Take that with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I seem to get more confused the deeper I get into this. The CTX 1300 has an extremely unique sound. A high pitched hum combined with a growl. It has been well documented that this sound is rare, and on the CTX forum it was stated that this whine is due to straight cut gears, which they said was rare in most engines.

You are saying most motorcycles have them, so on that basis, most motorcycles should have that whine to them. But they don't. So, when I hear it on the Valkyrie, it makes me want to know what they have in common.

If it's the oil pump gears, what is it that makes them whine that other bikes don't have?

Forgive my annoying inquiries but I am endlessly curious about this.

Richmonder

·
Registered
95 Posts
I only notice a whine when doing 50 to 55 because i forgot to shift to 5 th gear

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have owned both the CTX and the Valk. To me it is more of a high pitched whine like a turbo on a Semi Truck engine. It has to be related to the engine and not the tranny as it makes the noise all the time, even at a stop in neutral. >>> My 2 cents... oh and yes i like it very much!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could be convinced of that. So we have as possible contenders now:

Straight gears
Oil pump
Alternator
Valve train

I would think it would be so easy to identify but so far no one is certain. It is common to these two bikes and few others.

Richmonder

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's my understanding they can be used in the valve train as well as the transmission, so I'm not ruling it out. At this point, I bet if you asked a dealer, they wouldn't be able to tell you why it makes that sound.

Richmonder

·
Registered
712 Posts
It's my understanding they can be used in the valve train as well as the transmission, so I'm not ruling it out. At this point, I bet if you asked a dealer, they wouldn't be able to tell you why it makes that sound.

Richmonder
Well there you go, learned something new - didn't think of gears associated with valves. The plot thickens. FWIW when I asked my dealer about the noise he said "straight-cut gears"... must have meant the ones in the valve train I guess.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And yet, as Fireflight100 said, all bikes have straight cut gears. Or, do they? I know nothing of the workings of such things and whether they're referring to transmission or valves or something else. Wish we had access to a Honda technician with specific knowledge. I have a feeling we'll go to our graves wondering.

Richmonder

·
Super Moderator
187 Posts
Honda has had this engine whine going back at least to 1992 with the ST1100, which at the time was more pronounced than any other bike I’d heard. Combined with the exhaust note, I remember it reminded me of the Jetson’s flying car. I always thought it just added to these engines’ character.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I cannot see this beautiful bike being turned into a trike. Though I do empathize with you in your condition. I often wonder if I will just give up motorcycling or go the trike route when the time comes I can no longer ride, for whatever reason. But I just can't see myself on a trike. And I certainly can't see this bike converted to one. I just couldn't do it.

Richmonder

1 - 18 of 18 Posts