Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a topic I should have addressed years ago. After years of riding, loud rock concerts, using lawn equipment, and shooting, I have a mild case of tinnitus. My ears have a slight high frequency hiss in them all day long. It sounds like a tiny high pressure pinhole leak in a water pipe. And I don't want to lose my hearing or make my condition worse.

I want to start riding with ear plugs and keep them as standard equipment in my bags. I'm not interested in shooter's plugs with the band, nor any type that connects one to the other by tether. The cheap foam ones that cost a couple dollars at the drug store don't fit me well and end up amplifying the sound rather than dampening it. I see some very expensive ones on Amazon. I also see some that are custom molded with plastic liquid in your ear canal. That makes sense to me because they should fit perfectly and keep noise out most effectively. There are some that look like honey drippers that don't look bad. So many options.

Does anyone have a brand or type they use that really works well? I suspect a newer helmet might be a better solution, but right now I don't feel like spending $700-$1,000 on what I would want. I recently saw a set of high end plugs advertised in a gun magazine, but now I can't find it.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts on the matter.

Richmonder

Reactions: RRoy

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the same issues and constant tinnitus. I find my tinnitus is worse the following day if I don't wear plugs. I use SureFire earplugs but the SureFires don't meet several of your criteria and are pricey compared to foam plugs.

Most of my issues affecting earplugs' performance have been with improper insertion. Coming from a work environment where hearing protection was "required" (but not enforced) I had the "luxury" of trying several types.

Earplugs are such a personal item that I think you will have to try several pairs until you eventually settle on one you like.

·
Super Moderator
186 Posts
I have the same problem finding ear plugs that fit well. I’ve had great luck with these Pinlock plugs for several years now. They fit comfortably, they don’t get dislodged pulling the helmet on and off, and they filter out most of the wind noise, but you can still hear your bike’s exhaust and carry on a conversation without removing them. No more ears ringing after a long ride. I had pretty much given up on ear protection for riding until a friend recommended these.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input thus far. I really don't want anything dangling between the two, so the ear buds and the Sure Fire aren't what I'm after. The Pinlock plugs seem to keep coming up in reviews as good ones, and look simple enough. I see several on Amazon that look decent. Decibullz are tempting but some reviews say you can't hear anything with those. Eargasm is another one that comes up as being popular. And I saw Earos which were interesting with a little locking tip to keep them in. I don't see anything on the Pinlocks that really keeps them tight in the ear. After trying foam ones several times, I could never keep them in. The Pinlocks seem to be at a decent price point so I may give them a whirl with Revzilla. I'm seeing some that show filters, and some that say high fidelity. Not really sure what all these mean. Seems like a filtered plug would be preferable to keep noise out but still be able to hear.

Appreciate your help!

Richmonder

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for all the input thus far. I really don't want anything dangling between the two, so the earbuds and the SureFire aren't what I'm after.
Just so you know, the SureFire tether is optional and has to be installed by the user or leave it off.

If you were having trouble with the foam ones then I suspect you might not have been installing them correctly. When installed correctly, the foam ones are secure and have good noise reduction. I would think there would be a Youtube on installing the foam plugs because it's much easier shown than described.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just so you know, the SureFire tether is optional and has to be installed by the user or leave it off.

If you were having trouble with the foam ones then I suspect you might not have been installing them correctly. When installed correctly, the foam ones are secure and have good noise reduction. I would think there would be a Youtube on installing the foam plugs because it's much easier shown than described.
Thanks Farther. I tried to get the foam ones to stay in and they would just pop loose or come out entirely, and that caused the sound to amplify at high frequency and make my ears ring even worse. I think my experience with them has forever made me avoid them.

Richmonder

Reactions: Farther

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use MUDEELA Motorcycle high fidelity plugs. 5-star rated, less than half the cost of others. I like the container that they come with as well. I purchased mine from Amazon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
After trying several ear plus, I bought the Ear Peace plugs and they are by far the best ear plugs I've ever used. Spectacular performance! Check them out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate the recommendations all! I note there are several Ear Peace options. Any particular one?

Richmonder

·
Registered
26 Posts
I play music on the side and have had tinnitus for over 15 years. I use Eargasm for music playing, and I find them comfortable and dampening without being deafening (you need to hear when you play). I don't use them when riding as I have a full face helmet that muffles sound sufficiently, but I imagine they would sit quite well in a helmet. They are not like foam earplugs, which tend to pop out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I play music on the side and have had tinnitus for over 15 years. I use Eargasm for music playing, and I find them comfortable and dampening without being deafening (you need to hear when you play). I don't use them when riding as I have a full face helmet that muffles sound sufficiently, but I imagine they would sit quite well in a helmet. They are not like foam earplugs, which tend to pop out.
I think I saw that someone said the Eargasm plugs probably weren't right for cyclists. A guy on YouTube said he was a musician and didn't really feel they'd be the right ones for motorcycling.

Richmonder

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Eargasm plugs damper, not deafen. I don't know if you are looking to shut out all noise, but I live in a rural area where traffic is minimal; thus, I would mainly be seeking to lessen the noise of the exhaust, which is not that loud relative to most bikes. Plus, for the same reason I have speakers on my bike and not bluetooth headset, I prefer to hear the road for awareness of other vehicles. They fit far in your ear, so the padding of the helmet would not pull them out. Again, personal preference, but as someone who has long dealt with hearing damage from playing too loud as a teen, I am pretty well versed with a variety of plugs and dampening. I had a nice, custom pair of earplugs years ago, but those have to be custom made. I lost them in a move, and I never bothered. The eargasms work fine. I am not sure why someone would say they wouldn't work, but, agreed, if you want silence, they are not for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a dense foam earplug that I found at a construction materials warehouse. Got about 200 pairs of them for $5. They are yellow and orange. They look like Flents foam earplugs or these 3M classic earplugs at 33db noise reduction: "3M ear classic Plus earplugs offer excellent protection (NRR 33Db), have an easy-to-use cylinder shape, are made of soft foam, and are moisture resistant. Classic Plus are longer than classic earplugs to fit deeper into the ear canal and provide a higher level of protection. These useful earplugs are also Non-Allergic, non-flammable, and their bright yellow color assures compliance. 3M ear classic Plus Corded and Uncorded earplugs provide all-day comfort. 200 pairs per dispenser." Amazon.com: 310-1101 Classic Plus Disposable Foam Uncorded Earplugs: Industrial & Scientific
These do not come out when riding. You have to squeeze them and insert them and HOLD them in for 10 sec so they conform to your ear canal and not back out. These work the best! Next, inspect your helmet and see what is covering your ears. I removed the non-working headphones that were in there and stuffed the cavity with thick, heavy foam, cutting it to fit under the leather lining. It makes riding my Valk (with Cobra pipes) a much quieter enjoyment. I am a retired Air Force pilot and was exposed to lots of high-decibel noise on the flight line, so I already have some high-frequency hearing loss. My left ear has ringing to some extent constantly. I am also a musician. I even wear these foam earplugs while playing my trombone. You want to do everything you can to protect your hearing. Sounds like you're on the right track! (I was even investigating the option of taking shooter's earmuffs and fitting them into my helmet for even better protection).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a bunch of ear plugs and 5 helmets and 4 sets of hear buds trying to find the good stuff.

If you are interested,

Shure SE215 BT2 , low profile and fit under a helmet and don't push on the helmet and hurt the ears. They are Sound Isolating Bluetooth earbuds that let you hear your music at a lower volume level. Helps if you have a good helmet with a chin cover to. They worked great for me on a few long rides on the freeway.

Here is the helmet and chin guard that work the best for me
HJC is-MAX II Matte Black Modular Helmet 980-614
HJC IS-Max 2 Chin-Curtain blocks the wind coming up. Helps stop the buffeting too as well as wind noise.

And if you just want some of the best filtering ear plugs you might check out

Nonoise Motor - New Generation Ear Plugs - Ceramic Filter
  • Reduces engine and wind noise for racing and touring. Just like adjusting the volume.
  • New generation ear plugs enables you to still hear warning traffic signals (like sirens), phone calls and music
Like someone else said above. You have to try a bunch to dial in what works for you. I found that what works for my Valk does not work as good on my Vulcan.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great topic. Curious if anyone here has noticed any increased tinnitus after receiving one or both covid vaccines.
Mine spiked after 1 Maderna. My ENT said some folks are reporting this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great topic. Curious if anyone here has noticed any increased tinnitus after receiving one or both covid vaccines.
Mine spiked after 1 Maderna. My ENT said some folks are reporting this.
No, I am just as def as I was before. No change. The ringing is the same. I had Pfizer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had Moderna, ringing before and ringing afterward. My ringing did go up after a couple of two-hour rides and that is what piqued my interest in hearing protection again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I went on a day ride yesterday and found out I can't tolerate the Surefire earplugs for any extended period of time. My lack of tolerance for the Surefires was a surprise since I had worn them on the job for several years, but for shorter periods of time.

The Surefires became very uncomfortable about halfway through my ride. Fortunately, I had some Mack’s Slim Fit Soft Foam Earplugs that worked very well for me.

An upside is that the Mack's are about 16 cents pair while the Surefires are about $12 a pair. The downside to the Macks is that having a higher NRR they mute conversational sounds way more effectively than the Surefires so may require more frequent removal if I want to be social.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts