Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who evolved from a Honda VTX1800 to a Gold Wing F6B or Valkyrie may know that the VTX's frame was quite different.
The VTX1800 had a double-cradle tubular steel frame, whereas the frame on both an F6B and a Valk is twin spar aluminum.

Harley Davidson and Indian motorcycles continue to use tubular steel in their motorcycle frames, whereas the aluminum frame on our Valkyries is similar to the frame on most modern sport/supersport bikes.
The swingarm construction is also different.
I found what appears to be an informative article on this subject.
Take a look:

https://www.superstreetbike.com/motorcycle-frames-explained-frame-game

·
Registered
6 Posts
Frames

Harley Davidson and Indian motorcycles continue to use tubular steel in their motorcycle frames, whereas the aluminum frame on our Valkyries is similar to the frame on most modern sport/supersport bikes. The swingarm construction is also different.
hb,, you got some digging to do.. the frame on the ****** are not tubular steel but cast aluminum backbone and steering head. front down tubes only go to the front of the motor mounts, the engine is hung in the frame from above. the rear motor mounts are cast alum side plates that bolt to the alum backbone. it is a 5 piece assembly nothing like that 100yr old steel tube frame hardleys still use. Also the ****** chiefs have single centered fox racing air shock on a progressive link much like your racerist zipsplats employ.

even the little scouts utilize an alum frame with double spar backbone. the motors are hung from the radiator down tubes in front an side plates in back.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...somewhere I read...

Thanks for the info.
Somewhere I read that Indian motorcycles use a tubular steel frame.
They must have been talking about older models of the Indian Chief.
I stand corrected.
Good to know that Indian has evolved along with Honda and many other manufacturers, unlike Hardly.
HD STILL employs an old-fashioned tubular steel frame (and a chain-driven primary drive instead of gears, which is ridiculous).
I love my GoldWings. I have a 2016 F6B in addition to my 2014 Valkyrie.
It also handles really well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts