Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Anyone have any luck with an aftermarket exhaust to produce a deeper sound? I've also heard of drilling but where? Any videos out there?
Put a search in, many people have drilled holes in the exhaust with different results. There are one or two companies that make an exhaust for our bikes.

·
Registered
584 Posts
If you look in your exhaust pipe, there appear to be three separate exhaust ports, but only one is actually functional. The other two are closed. This is visible when you look at them.

Many have drilled out the openings of the non functional ports to modify the engine sound. I am not a proponent of this and haven't done it myself, but I assume they start with a small bit on one port on each side, and move to larger bits and/or multiple ports until they get to the desired note.

This is essentially a permanent modification, so if you decide to do this, keep that in mind. You'd probably have to weld something in there to reverse it later on if you don't like the result.

Richmonder

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just drilled mine today, I’ve had the Valk since new and it seems the exhaust slowly mellows with age. I was beginning to like mine but had a spare set of oem pipes so I thought I’d give it a shot. To be honest not a huge difference to me in deep ness. Sounds a little tinny and hollow. Gonna ride it for a while and see if it grows on me. Did get a compliment at a red life, nice bike…

·
Registered
255 Posts
Although I completely understand the desire for a "deeper, throatier exhaust sound", this just isn't the bike for that. This is not a "loud pipes save lives" kind of bike and there doesn't seem to be an exhaust system available to make it one. What this is, is a "loud horns save lives" and a "quicker/faster scoot gets you out of trouble easier than a bogger does" kind of bike. IMHO. I've read all of the available forum(s) threads on this subject, and many of the people who decided to drill their pipes ended up regretting it. (And some didn't.) Having the extra OEM pipes would have tempted me to try the same thing.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My goal is to eventually change the pipes. On my 1500 I have the Two Brothers 6x6 and loved the way the sound
I always loved those 6x6 pipes on those older bikes. Great sound AND looks. What more do you want? Don't know why they can't be produced for the latest version Valk. I'm sure it has to do with some reason I couldn't care less about, as I want what I want!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I always loved those 6x6 pipes on those older bikes. Great sound AND looks. What more do you want? Don't know why they can't be produced for the latest version Valk. I'm sure it has to do with some reason I couldn't care less about, as I want what I want!
If they made them, they would sell, to us few that have the new valk's lol

·
Registered
584 Posts
Leave it it's just an awesome sound as it is 😜
I agree completely. I like the fact that this bike is a wolf in sheep's clothing. The exhaust belies the monster within.

Richmonder

Reactions: Sixshooter

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree completely. I like the fact that this bike is a wolf in sheep's clothing. The exhaust belies the monster within.

Richmonder
Agreed. One of the unexpected and enjoyable differences on this bike vs. my last, a HD bagger that was a bit loud, is putting through nicer, quiet neighborhoods in town. As I meet walkers/joggers/bicyclists/homeowners in their yards I get a completely different response than I used to. Not a scowl among them, and not nearly as much purposeful ignoring and not looking at you as I'd come to accept as the norm. You can always piss them off with an obnoxious fast getaway, if that's your thing, but I kind of like having people just appreciate a nice machine with a nice attitude. Gee, I guess you DO meet the nicest people on a Honda!

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
No offense but I think most are looking for more of an exotic exhaust note reminiscent of the 6x6 pipes of the older Valkyrie, not the sound of the import race generation.
I agree. It can be done if you move the baffles forward on a set a Torqmasters. But then you don't have the look. I plan on getting some 6x6 Cobras and hoping just cutting the slashes out would be an adequate length. What deters me is they're chrome plated mild steel. Oxidation. I'll eventually do it anyway. I live in a desert.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the stock exhaust. If anyone says anything about the sound I just tell them...most folks change their exhaust to make their bike sound meaner. No need to change the Valk exhaust because it is mean.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I like the stock exhaust. If anyone says anything about the sound I just tell them...most folks change their exhaust to make their bike sound meaner. No need to change the Valk exhaust because it is mean.
I personally don't think the Valk exhaust is mean sounding at most speeds and RPMs, but it CAN at the right RPM. At idle it sounds very mild, and at most speeds it sounds very tame. But when you wind it up, look out! As I always say, to me, it belies the onster within. A wolf in sheep's clothing. I have no need for any modification. To me, it's perfect. I think one thing Honda always gets right is the exhaust note, no matter the engine configuration. Even my V-Twin VTXs have a rumble without being obnoxious.

Richmonder

·
Registered
2014 Valkyrie
69 Posts
I bought my Valk last spring with $thousands in upgrades including the Torquemasters. I like the sound and it's definitely throatier than stock, but not as throaty as a large V-twin such as my VTX1800. Still, it sounds good to me.

I think I've shared this story. During my inaugural group ride with my Valk, we stopped for gas and my buddies were commenting on the unconventional sound my bike. One said it sounds like a smallblock V6 (ala, the older Mustangs). Another said it sounds like a motor boat. Right then, I new the name for my bike... Jenny!

"That's ma bike."

Water Smile Sky Muscle Sleeve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts