Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my 2014 Valkyrie that came with a tall oem honda windshield. I quickly realized the buffeting was just too much. I'm 6ft tall and anything over 65mph the wind would hit me directly in the top of my helmet creating some really bad buffeting and would give me a pretty bad headache.

Many others have said the same thing , the oem honda windshield just has too much buffeting, and also many others have said it works fine for them.

Now the angle , apparently many folks say it's not about the height but the angle. With a couple brackets from Ace hardware I was able to adjust the angle of the windshield to many different positions. Some helped with buffeting buy ultimately when going above 65mph and sticking my hand up, the wind was still hitting me right at the top of the helmet. With no height adjustment, no matter what angle I had it at, this windshield is just too short for me.

Many say that you're suppose to look over the windshield and not through it. That just doesn't work for me, anything that I look over will 100% be top short. And people that say they get no buffeting on a windshield that they look over. I suggest try riding for 4 hours straight at 80 mph , then come back to discuss lol...

How do I know a the height is the problem? Well I bought a cheap Amazon windshield extension that sits on top of the current windshield which adds an extra 4-6" of height. It was perfect ! Still plenty of side wind and chest wind , but no more head buffeting. Went on the highway and did up to 90mph , perfect ! No buffeting. But Jeeeez these things are ugly . I need a more permanent solution.

Come in the Madstad windshield. Adjustable for height and angle , many have said that this solved their buffeting issues. I went ahead and ordered a custom 24" for our bikes. Biggest size online was 22" but they said its no issue making one 2 inches taller. I really wanted to be sure it would be tall enough and one that I would look through, rather than over. Its been a few days so hopefully if I get it by this weekend I can do a test ride and report back. I'm really hoping this will fix my buffeting issue.

Again, I'm fine with side wind , just hate the headache causing buffeting on my helmet. Will post an update soon, let me know what your guys experience was with windshields.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was always 6'6" and always thought, like you, that I needed an extra high windshield. I had a 1985 Goldwing that I was tired of not getting any air to my helmet vents so I cut it down so that I looked over it instead of through it. Head stayed cooler and I can't say I had any issue with the buffeting problem, and I always go over 65 :). Like most things on motorcycles, whatever works is what's best for you. I'm glad the new windshield fixed your problem. I am now only 6'3" after multiple back surgeries and getting old, so the lower windshields work still. You may want to hang on to the shorter windshield until you are older, it may be just right for you then. LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got the madstad windsheild mounted. Messed around with many different heights and angles and found one that works really well for buffeting , even up to 90 mph. But, of course there's a but, I get a whistling sound from the windshield at 60-70 mph. Always something. Can't seem to catch a break with this bike and its horrible wind management.

I know I know...its meant to be a naked bike.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yea, 6'0 here too with a long torso and 30-31" inseam. I live in rural South Texas so 90-100mph cruising is pretty standard, and the nearest destination is 2+ hours away each way at those speeds. Hondaline windshield was HORRIBLE for buffeting, I literally felt like a giant was dribbling my head like a basketball.

I used a Puig secondary shield for a while, which worked ok, then I bent the stock windshield brackets WAY back to line up the windshield with the forks. That puts my head completely in the clean air and I get a small amount of buffeting around my collar, but nothing too bad. Took my windshield off about a month ago to change mirrors and decided to ride without it for a while.

90-100mph for a 4+ hour round trip with a huge torso and no windshield gives you a SERIOUS ab workout.

This is the angle of my Hondaline windshield after bending the heck out of the brackets:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Automotive fuel system

Also, my bike no longer looks shocked/surprised like it did with the Hondaline Windshield at the stock angle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, 6'0 here too with a long torso and 30-31" inseam. I live in rural South Texas so 90-100mph cruising is pretty standard, and the nearest destination is 2+ hours away each way at those speeds. Hondaline windshield was HORRIBLE for buffeting, I literally felt like a giant was dribbling my head like a basketball.

I used a Puig secondary shield for a while, which worked ok, then I bent the stock windshield brackets WAY back to line up the windshield with the forks. That puts my head completely in the clean air and I get a small amount of buffeting around my collar, but nothing too bad. Took my windshield off about a month ago to change mirrors and decided to ride without it for a while.

90-100mph for a 4+ hour round trip with a huge torso and no windshield gives you a SERIOUS ab workout.

This is the angle of my Hondaline windshield after bending the heck out of the brackets:
View attachment 14043

Also, my bike no longer looks shocked/surprised like it did with the Hondaline Windshield at the stock angle.
Nice ! Glad to gear you got it figured out with using the brackets. Even with my new Madstad windshield it was hard to get the perfect height and angle. Once I did the buffeting was almost fully gone but I had a new problem. The huge space between the top of the headlight and bottom of the windshield causing a very loud and annoying whistling sound. So I fixed that by putting a windshield bag in that void and so far so good. Still get plenty of wind all around me and alot on my waist area causing my shirt to go up, but not too much buffeting anymore unless I'm going above 90mph...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nice ! Glad to gear you got it figured out with using the brackets. Even with my new Madstad windshield it was hard to get the perfect height and angle. Once I did the buffeting was almost fully gone but I had a new problem. The huge space between the top of the headlight and bottom of the windshield causing a very loud and annoying whistling sound. So I fixed that by putting a windshield bag in that void and so far so good. Still get plenty of wind all around me and alot on my waist area causing my shirt to go up, but not too much buffeting anymore unless I'm going above 90mph...
Yea, I had to bend my brackets down some too, if you notice my windshield is almost touching the headlight in that picture.

I have taken it in that configuration to about 120mph, and it didn't give me any real issues, but like I said my head is in the clean air, which I like with Texas heat, and there is a little buffeting around my collar area. Mostly this just means I have to be a little careful of what I wear near my neck, anything with loose flaps tends to get tossed around and gets irritating on long rides, plus make sure I wear ear plugs on the freeway as wind noise protection.

I am sure I will put it back on at some point, but lately without a windshield it is definitely a different experience. I have had it up to about 110-115mph with no wind protection and just balancing on the seat with my hands resting loosely on the bars, and after about 4-5 hours you REALLY feel that in the abs when you get off the bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently bought my 2014 Valkyrie that came with a tall oem honda windshield. I quickly realized the buffeting was just too much. I'm 6ft tall and anything over 65mph the wind would hit me directly in the top of my helmet creating some really bad buffeting and would give me a pretty bad headache.

Many others have said the same thing , the oem honda windshield just has too much buffeting, and also many others have said it works fine for them.

Now the angle , apparently many folks say it's not about the height but the angle. With a couple brackets from Ace hardware I was able to adjust the angle of the windshield to many different positions. Some helped with buffeting buy ultimately when going above 65mph and sticking my hand up, the wind was still hitting me right at the top of the helmet. With no height adjustment, no matter what angle I had it at, this windshield is just too short for me.

Many say that you're suppose to look over the windshield and not through it. That just doesn't work for me, anything that I look over will 100% be top short. And people that say they get no buffeting on a windshield that they look over. I suggest try riding for 4 hours straight at 80 mph , then come back to discuss lol...

How do I know a the height is the problem? Well I bought a cheap Amazon windshield extension that sits on top of the current windshield which adds an extra 4-6" of height. It was perfect ! Still plenty of side wind and chest wind , but no more head buffeting. Went on the highway and did up to 90mph , perfect ! No buffeting. But Jeeeez these things are ugly . I need a more permanent solution.

Come in the Madstad windshield. Adjustable for height and angle , many have said that this solved their buffeting issues. I went ahead and ordered a custom 24" for our bikes. Biggest size online was 22" but they said its no issue making one 2 inches taller. I really wanted to be sure it would be tall enough and one that I would look through, rather than over. Its been a few days so hopefully if I get it by this weekend I can do a test ride and report back. I'm really hoping this will fix my buffeting issue.

Again, I'm fine with side wind , just hate the headache causing buffeting on my helmet. Will post an update soon, let me know what your guys experience was with windshields.
I am 6’2” and have the oem. Windshield and also had buffeting issues till I had my seat redone by asstech now I can easily ride 2 to 3 hundred miles a day and it lowered me enough to stop the buffeting , just a thought

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am 6’2” and have the oem. Windshield and also had buffeting issues till I had my seat redone by asstech now I can easily ride 2 to 3 hundred miles a day and it lowered me enough to stop the buffeting , just a thought
Thanks. I already installed the madstad 24". Took a while to find the right height and angle buy I think I got it now to where the buffeting is almost gone unless I'm doing over 90mph. I think some of the wind is still coming up around the gas tank and up my waist and chest. Can't eliminate all wind on a motorcycle...which I'm ok with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts