Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set out to make a new H pipe to replace the cats (for off road racing use only of course). My goal was to make a simple bolt-on piece made out of 1.5" stainless exhaust tubing with a straight design (no funky loops ) and include the cross-over balancing tube and make it for under $150.00.

It turned out to be a longer project than I had intended. Trying to fabricate, cut, bend and weld all the parts together at fab shops while my bike was home in the garage made it almost impossible to get everything to fit up correctly. I ended up cutting the pieces apart and connecting them with flex exhaust pipe and clamping the parts together. I expected to have leaks everywhere and have to start over. I used exhaust sealant putty on all the connections and to my surprise there were no leaks. It sounds deeper and only slightly louder than stock. It shaved about 8 pounds of weight (the cats weight 11 pounds). And it should flow better without the cats and even better than something that loops around with no cross-over pipe.

I ended up with about $195 invested plus many hours of my time. In the end, it's not a project I can really recommend unless you just want to enjoy the challenge. I would have no plans to make more on them. But I'm pleased with the final results so far. From what I learned, it would be possible for someone to make a nice bolt-on set as per my goal if they were set up to to do so.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also looked at the mufflers. They weight 16 pounds total so not too bad. I was expecting more. I considered replacing them with a set of aftermarket carbon fiber cans for a ZX1400. But I'll hold off on that idea for a while.

The stock muffler can easily be removed if you want to take a look inside. The inlet goes into a large chamber perforated on the outer walls. That chamber extends about 1/3 the length of the muffler then there is a plate that covers about 2/3 the diameter of the muffle. The 1/3 that does not have the plate allows the exhaust to flow straight to the rear of the exhaust where there is another plate. Looking from the back, that would be where the longest of the 3 pipes are. But that pipe and the one next to it are dummy pipes. No exhaust can exit those. Then the exhaust flows back towards the front on the other side of a wall and hits the back of the first plate. Then it reverses flow again and goes to the rear to exist just one of the 3 pipes. I want to check the diameter of that pipe to see if it is the same size as the inlet to the cats. It looks smaller but that may be an illusion. If it is smaller, making it larger would reduce restriction in the mufflers and that would be easy to do. To be confirmed. An other options would be to drill through the back plate on that longest pipe. that would allow a straight thru design. You would want to drill the full size of the exist pipe or as close to full size as possible to avoid getting that leaking air sound and get good exhaust sound instead. The temptation is there. I'll see how long I can hold off on that one. It could always be plugged off later if needed. But I think there is good potential in modifying the stock mufflers which are pretty good to start with for factory mufflers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
:cool:You have been aggressive in your endeavor, i have dealt with this issue also on other cruisers but ended up with Vance & Hines that were made for both Vulcan cruisers that I had. When putting those pipes on, the cats and stock mufflers were done away with ; thereby eliminating a lot of weight. Nobody is manufacturing pipes or slip on mufflers for our Valkyrie's yet to my dismay. How did you do away or figure out what to do with the O-2 sensor? How will you compensate now for the additional faster flow of exhaust which will create a leaner combustion mixture with a possibility of hotter gases and potential damage to your engine? Have you got a new fuel processor like a Cobra fi2000 or a Power Commander which will allow more fuel to cool your burn? i just want you to know that these need to be considered because the original engineering by the Japanese Honda dudes were of course to meet smog both in the States and Europe. We have awesome new bikes but no one has Jack %&#% yet in what we need to unleash our engines potential don't you all agree? When riding this last weekend with a buddy who has a HD Heritage he said my bike was so quiet compared to his with his fishtail straight pipes that Bark On with the throttle twist and my new black Valkyrie that leaves him in the dust quietly with a small Porsche engine sound. Wake up Cobra and Vance & Hines! Get with the program and make us some PIPES! to unleash our hot Valkyrie's to snarl away as we Hog-slay the rest of the so called best! My bike is a 2014, #1733 in line of Mfg. If we wake up the Valkyrie or F6C with an intake ( already larger than Mama Gold wing or F6B ) and the proper fuel processing to meet the flow of fuel and exhaust gasses ( Cobra or Power Commander ) , then performance pipe it, getting rid of cats and baffled mufflers; we then will have a KICK- Ass, striped ape, bad-ass machine; and we won't have to try and make it better to serve a world that is up in smoke anyway. Get my drift? To be completely honest, if I have not been already; lets all pray that one of these performance pipe manufacturers gets with it and makes us some PIPES not some silly ass slip-ons for this most awesome machine so that when we twist our throttles others will say WHAT The **** IS THAT? that just ate us alive on the asphalt of our lives! Now even I am excited! So she the Valkyrie said! Wow! OK let's wait and see what happens,, is anyone listening?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kept the O2 sensors. I welded in new O2 bungs for for the sensors. Note: For the new O2 bungs, I used what is called "spark plug defoulers". They are used as a band aid to space sparks plugs away from the air/fuel mixture on troubled vehicles that foul plugs. the 18mm size works perfect for an O2 bung.

The ecm will compensate for the new air flow with the O2 sensors. I also had my ecm reflashed by Guhl Motors with richened up the mixture also before I removed the cats. What would be great would be if we could use wide band O2 sensors with a reflashed ecm.

I have to say she feels strong.

·
Registered
37 Posts
:)Superjim, on another topic, i am 5'8" and 200#'s and would like to know the proper adjustment for the preload shock. I currently have it backed off 9 clicks from the factory preset. What are your thoughts on the proper adjustment?............

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:)Superjim, on another topic, i am 5'8" and 200#'s and would like to know the proper adjustment for the preload shock. I currently have it backed off 9 clicks from the factory preset. What are your thoughts on the proper adjustment?............
I think it's a little harsh on the factory setting and I'm 6'-2" and 235 lb without gear. I'm backing it down a little more also. With a passenger it might be OK at the factory setting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Superjim, have you considered drilling out the two fake exhaust pipes in the muffler tips to see if they will flow exhaust gas too? Might if they do make it sound even better! Let me know what you think about this potential experiment on the stock muffler as only the one pipe emits exhaust gas but it appears the others might if plugs were drilled out......

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Superjim, have you considered drilling out the two fake exhaust pipes in the muffler tips to see if they will flow exhaust gas too? Might if they do make it sound even better! Let me know what you think about this potential experiment on the stock muffler as only the one pipe emits exhaust gas but it appears the others might if plugs were drilled out......
Sure have. See my second post at the top of this thread. I think you should do it and let us know. I did the hard part. You can do the easy part:)

I would probably start by just doing one extra pipe on each muffler. The longest ones.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Superjim thanks for the advice, both plugged pipes drilled out just fine with a 3/8 masonry bit followed with 1/2" bit. Bike is warming up in garage as now i will go and get some high heat paint. The sound is now if you have the guts to do it, Glorious! All three outlets breathing evenly with the original not as much which makes a sense since all have taken some gas now. I think you will be pleased. Will let you know soon how it sounds and performs on the open road,very soon.

The Regulator

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ride report after exhaust drilled............Bike sounds awesome at idle, under acceleration and deceleration; no popping or rattle just the sweet sound of a flat six. You will find a baffle plate behind the fake exhaust tubes on both mufflers and i did not drill into those as they already have some holes in them for exhaust gas travel. Again use a punch to center your drill and start with a masonry bit 3/8" inch, you will find that this bit will drill hard material quickly and then follow up with a 1/2' drill bit to up size it. Finally get some high heat paint, to paint up the holes and dissuade rust. Now your Valkyrie will purr like a like a Porsche and howl like a striped @ss APE when you twist her throttle...........sounds sooooo gooood!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Excellent! Thanks for taking the plunge for us. I was so temped to try it this weekend also. Any chance you could post a video with the sound?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Regulator thank you for this work
I do not understand the thumb convertion in millimeters
France someone could tell me the final drilling millimeter diameter for the holes you drill?
3 \ 8 = 9.5250 mm and 1 \ 2 = 12.7000 mm.
The diameter of the open hole is 32 millimeters. Should we drill the 2 other than this diameter?
It is true that a video with sound would be great.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any thought on this voiding the warranty?
I never buy an extended warranty because I'm going to void it as soon as I get home:eek:

Seriously, that's always a debate. Yea if you loose an engine and you did this modification, Honda could void your warranty. They could do the same thing if you added anyone's aftermarket mufflers. Will they? Maybe/maybe not....really depends on the dealer. Then there's the "law" that says they have to prove your modification caused the failure. Sure if you have the legal power and $ to take them to court on it. I think in the end you would have to prove it did not cause the failure.

In the end, each person has to determine what level of risk a modification is going to create and are they willing to accept that risk. For this one, people have been drilling holes in GoldWing mufflers and others for decades. It's even less of an issue with modern ecm and O2 sensor equipped engines today.

Personally, I don't have a concern about it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Men here is my two cents, if you consider the mufflers on this bike it is nothing more than a chamber full of many holes which channel gases, I have simply added two more holes to some great looking mufflers which just allows for a nicer sounding and complimentary exhaust on the Valkyrie. I have spent a lot of time on the other Goldwing forums looking for info on drilling the mufflers and have seen many videos on how they sound afterwards. Also i have done this operation on two other large v twins and logged many miles on both with no bad results. By doing this I have not increased the flow so much to cause damage to the motor at all but have given it better flow and the better sound. The flat six sounds different than a V- twin so it is, if I were to describe it, it is a nasty snarl of six cylinders. I am very pleased with the results and you maybe also if you choose to do this simple modification. After all it is what your bike will sound like that will make it stand alone as your own. This is my last bike at the age of 57 ,I look forward to tinkering with it like the other bikes I have owned, I find this bike to be very unique and love to see people on the highway turn and look through windows of moving vehicles with looks of awe and now as they look at it at a stoplight or on the move they will HEAR IT! My phone videos and pictures I took would not drop to the page because of size. Look forward to your comments or thoughts on this and if you choose to do it enjoy what you HEAR.....When my wife returns with my digital camera i will snap some with lower resolution and post them, sorry for the delay.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts