Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ended my relationship with the stock seat, must move on.
I'm considering the Corbin as many have converted. I'm not a fan of Corbin and have had them on three other bikes. I find them hard as rock. I think it's the shape/design that primarily relieves the hotspots and numb tailbone. With that being said I also have a seat builder who says he will guarantee his seat pain free or it's free. That's a pretty confident statement.
  • Those that have Corbin, did you have pain previously and did it relieve your pain? Would you recommend?
  • Has anyone gone the custom seat build route and are you happy with the results?
  • Corbin guys, can the seat be removed/installed with the stock Honda backrest/pad and rack in place? Is there enough room to slide the seat back or does the backrest interfere?
The custom route is pretty pricey as well although not as much as the Corbin. I just hate to make costly mistakes like I have in the past (4 seats for my Concours) (3 seats for my Bandit) (3 seats for my 1500)
TIA

·
Registered
360 Posts
  • did you have pain previously and did it relieve your pain? discomfort after time that grew to pain after an hour or two
  • Would you recommend? A: yes
  • Corbin guys, can the seat be removed/installed with the stock Honda backrest/pad and rack in place? A: yes
  • Is there enough room to slide the seat back or does the backrest interfere? A: It barely slides out diagonally with the backrest pad in place.

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
273 Posts
To install the seat on the dual tour you have to “flip” the backrest pad up to get it to go back
Corbin can make the seat with softer foam if you’d like they basically just allow more air into the foam
I didn’t have pain per sey it was more a case of its now I can spend at least a hour more in the saddle without my arse yelping like a scalded dog
The stock pad pretty much sits on the seat as you can see I’ll be replacing it this summer with the Corbin pad which matches the seat and seems to sit a little higher you can see examples in Busters latest posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
273 Posts
Another option is the RDL this guy Craig in his video about a minute or 2 in has a nice shot of what one looks like on a bike with a rider backrest I ALMOST went this route

·
Registered
67 Posts
Corbin seat is amazing! Yes, I had pain on the stock seat and the Corbin alleviated that.
It's tight but you can get it on and off without removing the passenger back pad, but I just remove it to make life easier.
I would absolutely recommend the Corbin seat!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, appreciate your comments, links and pictures. (y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
To install the seat on the dual tour you have to “flip” the backrest pad up to get it to go back
Corbin can make the seat with softer foam if you’d like they basically just allow more air into the foam
I didn’t have pain per sey it was more a case of its now I can spend at least a hour more in the saddle without my arse yelping like a scalded dog
The stock pad pretty much sits on the seat as you can see I’ll be replacing it this summer with the Corbin pad which matches the seat and seems to sit a little higher you can see examples in Busters latest posts View attachment 12420 View attachment 12422 View attachment 12421

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again guys. I'm going this route A Sweet Seat Home Page He is guaranteeing pain free or free, Less than a Corbin. I pick it up Friday. I want the covering to resemble as close to stock as possible. I'll share pics when complete. If this doesn't do the trick, I'll be moving on to a Wing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I received my seat back today. He removed the rear vertical part as there was no foam in the crease where the flat and the rear vertical lip meet. That's where my tailbone was going numb. I gained that space and can now slide all the way back. I always found my butt up on that lip anyway. There was all new foam, three types and layers of memory foam. I just installed it, haven't ridden it yet. It is taller and wider the foam is instantly noticeably better quality. I'm not sure I like it taller, I like a low center of gravity. He says this will compress more and I should settle at close to the same height while riding. We'll see, it seems too high for me. Overall he did a nice job and I wanted to retain the stock look which I really liked, I think he did good there as well. Test ride tomorrow and Saturday. I hope this works.

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
273 Posts
It certainly looks plumper curious to see what result more cushion brings to the the ole brick

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's the chubby older sister...fun to ride, hard to look at. It is too tall now, feels real strange. I like low center of gravity like Corbin provides. Gosh yet another costly mistake trying to make this thing rideable. I've had other Corbin's that didn't work for me (not on this). I think I'll sit this out and cool off for a while before making any hasty decisions, I've dumped so much cash into motorcycles trying to make them comfortable....I love this bike and everything it is, extremely frustrated. I wish I could try a Corbin before laying out more cash.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's the chubby older sister...fun to ride, hard to look at. It is too tall now, feels real strange. I like low center of gravity like Corbin provides. Gosh yet another costly mistake trying to make this thing rideable. I've had other Corbin's that didn't work for me (not on this). I think I'll sit this out and cool off for a while before making any hasty decisions, I've dumped so much cash into motorcycles trying to make them comfortable....I love this bike and everything it is, extremely frustrated. I wish I could try a Corbin before laying out more cash.
I'm really interested in how this all works out for you, Sixshooter. You have described my feelings about the seat to a "T" and the only difference is you've taken the risks to try to improve your seating by spending the loads of cash it takes to know for yourself. I haven't, as I knew I'd be disappointed. I'm really hoping this new foam works out for you after break-in, but I'm not overly optimistic. It just doesn't look quite right to me. I, too, like the lower profile and center-of-gravity feel of a lower seat, and my inseam is 32" at 5' 11". Please let us know your thoughts as you put on some miles. Good luck!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm in Pinellas County, city of Seminole. My riding zone is Central Florida, Brooksville to Ocala.

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
273 Posts
I was at the Corbin facility in Ormond Beach about 3 weeks ago... forgot to ask if they had a Valkyrie seat there ( I was looking for the sissy bar backrest that day...) there was a member on here Swagfu who went the Ornond Beach Store and bought his there so maybe they have a demo? They did have this super cool touring back rest I would have bought had it had it been black (real comfy)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was at the Corbin facility in Ormond Beach about 3 weeks ago... forgot to ask if they had a Valkyrie seat there ( I was looking for the sissy bar backrest that day...) there was a member on here Swagfu who went the Ornond Beach Store and bought his there so maybe they have a demo? They did have this super cool touring back rest I would have bought had it had it been black (real comfy)
View attachment 12441
I will contact them, Thank you.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm really interested in how this all works out for you, Sixshooter. You have described my feelings about the seat to a "T" and the only difference is you've taken the risks to try to improve your seating by spending the loads of cash it takes to know for yourself. I haven't, as I knew I'd be disappointed. I'm really hoping this new foam works out for you after break-in, but I'm not overly optimistic. It just doesn't look quite right to me. I, too, like the lower profile and center-of-gravity feel of a lower seat, and my inseam is 32" at 5' 11". Please let us know your thoughts as you put on some miles. Good luck!
I am 6' 235lbs. 32'-34' inseam. The seat foam feels amazing, very pleasing to "sit on it"
I feel riding it is entirely another story as you sit much higher which throws off all the ergonomics. The custom windshield is now even lower than the low build I specified, your legs/foot-pegs feel different, the handlebar reach is different/awkward. Who knows, possibly I will grow used to it? Initial impression is not so much. You either sit on a bike and smile knowing it feels right, or not.:(
I don't want to go back to the builder as I'm not one to complain, he did what I asked him to. I just don't like it.
At this point, I can lay out the cash for a Corbin, or sell the bike. Cash for a Corbin would be less than buying another bike and starting all over again. I'll be doing a 10 hour lunch ride tomorrow...see if my feelings improve.

Again, thank for all the reply's. Hindsight I should have just went the Corbin route, I've not heard one complaint regarding the Valkyrie GL1800.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am 6' 235lbs. 32'-34' inseam. The seat foam feels amazing, very pleasing to "sit on it"
I feel riding it is entirely another story as you sit much higher which throws off all the ergonomics. The custom windshield is now even lower than the low build I specified, your legs/foot-pegs feel different, the handlebar reach is different/awkward. Who knows, possibly I will grow used to it? Initial impression is not so much. You either sit on a bike and smile knowing it feels right, or not.:(
I don't want to go back to the builder as I'm not one to complain, he did what I asked him to. I just don't like it.
At this point, I can lay out the cash for a Corbin, or sell the bike. Cash for a Corbin would be less than buying another bike and starting all over again. I'll be doing a 10 hour lunch ride tomorrow...see if my feelings improve.

Again, thank for all the reply's. Hindsight I should have just went the Corbin route, I've not heard one complaint regarding the Valkyrie GL1800.
I am SO disappointed FOR you, Sixshooter! (And for the rest of us looking for solutions.) I've had a few street bikes in my 55+ years of riding, and each and every one gave you one of two impressions, immediately: 1) you are either sitting on the bike, or 2) you are sitting IN the bike. If I ever felt like I was just on the bike, I was never as comfortable riding it. Skilled dirt-bike riders probably laugh at me for saying that.

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
273 Posts
Well one thing about the Corbin, and this is why I went with it vice sending one of my stockers to Russell is, you can always unload them on this forum or VRCC pretty quickly and not take too bad a beating on it as long as you ask a reasonable price. The RDL is a custom made with actual suspension just for you based on you weight the way you sit on the bike etc... (you have to send them photos preferably on the center stand which I installed for that purpose)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am SO disappointed FOR you, Sixshooter! (And for the rest of us looking for solutions.) I've had a few street bikes in my 55+ years of riding, and each and every one gave you one of two impressions, immediately: 1) you are either sitting on the bike, or 2) you are sitting IN the bike. If I ever felt like I was just on the bike, I was never as comfortable riding it. Skilled dirt-bike riders probably laugh at me for saying that.
KUGO, so funny you say that. I just Friday had this discussion with a dirt/trials rider friend (sitting in verses sitting on)
I agree, preferring to be down low, low center of gravity for my riding style. Some riders prefer be up high, nice and fluffy/comfy and ride in a straight line...then I have the perfect seat for them :LOL:
Looks like I found a used Corbin with two backrests last night in response to my posting request at a very fair price. Apparently one guy didn't like it. Now I can compare and choose what works best for my butt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts