Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm relatively new to the forum, I apologize if this question has been asked and answered.

1) Is it possible to delete (or archive) your own posts?
2) I've seen other members with requests to the admin to delete posts that are over four years old, my assumption is that you cannot delete a post once the 'post thread' button has been pushed.
3) If it is not possible, the question I would pose to the admin is, why? On every single social media platform, I'm registered on Facebook, Twitter, Parler, Gab and YouTube I can delete my own posts.
4) My personal opinion is, the capability to delete one's own post should be toggled on.

Please let me know if the capability exists in the site, if it does. Let me know how to do it.

If it doesn't can we have a discussion about it?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't think you can delete a post on this site, Dan, and I don't understand why. Rick Roy inquired about this recently and if memory serves, he was unable to do so as well.

Richmonder

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Craig!

Then that would be a question for the #Staff Member #Administrator #Adminstration #Super Moderator # Moderator

·
Registered
39 Posts
While you can't delete them, you can edit them down to a blank post if you want something removed.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While you can't delete them, you can edit them down to a blank post if you want something removed.
Thanks Anton - Yes, that's what I've done, but I find that kind of ridiculous. My guess is the 'delete' function is an option the admins can give us. I'm hoping they reply to my OP.

·
Administrator
156 Posts
Members don't have the ability to delete threads primarily so that someone can't just go and remove a 100 page thread, a long build or technical thread, etc. In the past, we've had members get upset over one thing or another and take down extensive threads with years of content...effectively destroying sections of the site and removing years or SEO.

If you need something removed, you can always message this account and we can help out. You can edit posts but deletion requests need to go through the site staff or the VS admin account.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Members don't have the ability to delete threads primarily so that someone can't just go and remove a 100 page thread, a long build or technical thread, etc. In the past, we've had members get upset over one thing or another and take down extensive threads with years of content...effectively destroying sections of the site and removing years or SEO.

If you need something removed, you can always message this account and we can help out. You can edit posts but deletion requests need to go through the site staff or the VS admin account.

-Mike
Thanks for responding, Mike.

Have you ever considered an archive function with recall capabilities? I'll live with the rules, but as I said in my OP, I've never encountered any social media site where the original poster can't delete their own post. Editing a post down to nothing personally doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Aren't we talking about two distinct things here? The ability to delete a "post" vs. the ability to delete a "thread". I can see where there would be a good reason to not allow an OP to delete a thread but what is the argument to not allow an OP to delete a post?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts