Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just finished the oil change on the final drive and looked closely and saw this … appears the previous owner has wrapped silver Al foil around the edges of what feels like a plastic container.

Not happy to find this on a recently purchased Valkyrie.

If someone could tell me what it is and does and is it an easy change over ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For my eyes it appears to be a coolant reservoir? I can see what looks green coolant when I shine a torch onto it. Definitely plastic

Are these prone to damage ? And what is the fix? A belly pan ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I think I solved the mystery. After lots of search googling I came across a almost identical question

It appears it’s factory silver tape put on from new. … I can breath a sigh of relief

There is no pressure in the bottle there should be a little antifreeze in the tank but is to be checked when at running temperature. If the tape is the silver tape wrapped around the bottom of the tank that is from the factory.

+1 on Tape Its Heat Tape from factory.”

·
Registered
173 Posts
That is the Valks coolant resovoir.
From the factory it is wrapped in tinfoil, apparently its a goldwing thing.

Yes its in an exposed position, and its not the first Honda I've seen with a coolant resovoir in the exact same position (my buddy's 2003 VTX1800 has the coolant bottle in the exact same spot, however on the VTX there is a little metal plate protecting it)

On the Valk, as the Goldwing, there is a light belly pan that can be installed to protect the belly (aluminium engine casings, coolant resovoir) from road debris. I installed one on my Valk, once its in, its not noticeable, and its a very light plate, not very strong, but much better than nothing.

The resovoir should have coolant in it, there is a level indicator on it if you shine a light on it at just the right angle. (it should definitely not be empty)

On any 2nd gen Valk, if you just got it, and don't truly know its maintenance history, assume nothing was done, its a good idea to do a full fluid swap.
Engine, final drive, coolant, brakes, clutch, forks. (doing the forks really improved the ride quality on mine too)

Have a good one!

Tazmool

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tazmool,

Yes everything you said I’m now aware of, funny I looked through 400 odd pages on the downloaded Valkyrie manual and could find nothing about it.

Once I did start finding similar questions on forums and the answers all stating it’s factory foil I breathed a huge sigh of relief. The reservoir had green coolant in it.

I agree about making sure all serviceable things are done, I have done the oil and filter and final drive. I’ll get the Honda bike mechanic to do a flush and replace of the brake and clutch fluids and coolant. I may also get them to do the air filter also and ask about the forks oil .. all this will coincide with a new rear tyre.

Baldy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts