Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rick Roy and I just got back from a 2-day trip from Richmond to Front Royal, Virginia, via Skyline Drive (Blue Ridge Parkway). Round trip was just shy of 600 miles. Scenery was beautiful, although the leaves haven't started changing in earnest yet. The traffic on the parkway was light since vacation season is over, making the ride even more enjoyable. Temperature was in the mid-50's to 70 most of the way, and at elevation it got to be a little chilly, but we stayed comfortable. Saw many snakes in the road, and spotted several deer near the road keeping their distance. Met a number of interesting people, both on motorcycles and in cars. The parkway was in very good repair and they were paving fresh asphalt on several sections. The speed limit on the parkway in most places is 35 mph, and at one point we were doing about 55 and came upon a park ranger facing the opposite direction with radar. He lit us up for a second, we slowed down, and we kept going. Seemed his only intent was to get us to slow down. Whew. That was close!

The hotel in Front Royal was, well, a roof over our heads. My mattress was the worst I ever slept on and squeaked with every movement, and I would say my room was less than clean. It sits on the main drag through town, and due to the location on the outskirts of DC, there are construction trucks and loud vehicles going by at all hours. I was awakened at 2:15 a.m. and never got back to sleep. Made for a long day Thursday. Despite covering both bikes overnight, our windshields were both fogged over in the morning, and no amount of wiping down would clear them until we got moving. We returned to Richmond about 6:00 Thursday evening, weary but well traveled.

Rick had asked me if I liked venison, and having had it only twice, I had found it too gamey tasting. So he assured me I'd like his, and brought a container full of it to snack on. I must admit he has a great recipe for cooking and it was in fact DELICIOUS.

After the 300 mile trip home, Rick had to drive his trailered bike home to Virginia Beach. I didn't envy him that additional 100 miles and 2 more hours of driving.

I hope to drop some video on YouTube this weekend. It was a great Fall ride in the mountains and I look forward to the next meeting of the Virginia Valkyrie Riders Group!

Richmonder

Sky Plant Leaf Smile Tree

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Land vehicle Plant Wheel Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Jeans Sky Ecoregion Travel Landscape

Tire Vehicle Wheel Sky Automotive tire

·
Registered
409 Posts
Love your reports. Glad you both were able to get out. I need to get up there sometime, I have family in Roanoke and Salem. Your ride pics always look amazingly tempting.
The Virginia Valkyrie Riders Group(y) The VVR

·
Registered
409 Posts
I never cared for my venison, I can prepare a meal although certainly not a chef. My father in law prepared some of our "Florida poor diet" deer and it was the best I ever had, actually amazing. It sure makes a difference to know how to prepare it. I also had the pleasure of tasting corn fed venison from out west. That corn diet was a game changer.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never cared for my venison, I can prepare a meal although certainly not a chef. My father in law prepared some of our "Florida poor diet" deer and it was the best I ever had, actually amazing. It sure makes a difference to know how to prepare it. I also had the pleasure of tasting corn fed venison from out west. That corn diet was a game changer.
No pun intended, right? "Game changer"!

You'll have to ask Rick for his recipe. Made me salivate just having him tell me how he makes it!

Richmonder

Reactions: RRoy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rick Roy and I just got back from a 2-day trip from Richmond to Front Royal, Virginia, via Skyline Drive (Blue Ridge Parkway). Round trip was just shy of 600 miles. Scenery was beautiful, although the leaves haven't started changing in earnest yet. The traffic on the parkway was light since vacation season is over, making the ride even more enjoyable. Temperature was in the mid-50's to 70 most of the way, and at elevation it got to be a little chilly, but we stayed comfortable. Saw many snakes in the road, and spotted several deer near the road keeping their distance. Met a number of interesting people, both on motorcycles and in cars. The parkway was in very good repair and they were paving fresh asphalt on several sections. The speed limit on the parkway in most places is 35 mph, and at one point we were doing about 55 and came upon a park ranger facing the opposite direction with radar. He lit us up for a second, we slowed down, and we kept going. Seemed his only intent was to get us to slow down. Whew. That was close!

The hotel in Front Royal was, well, a roof over our heads. My mattress was the worst I ever slept on and squeaked with every movement, and I would say my room was less than clean. It sits on the main drag through town, and due to the location on the outskirts of DC, there are construction trucks and loud vehicles going by at all hours. I was awakened at 2:15 a.m. and never got back to sleep. Made for a long day Thursday. Despite covering both bikes overnight, our windshields were both fogged over in the morning, and no amount of wiping down would clear them until we got moving. We returned to Richmond about 6:00 Thursday evening, weary but well traveled.

Rick had asked me if I liked venison, and having had it only twice, I had found it too gamey tasting. So he assured me I'd like his, and brought a container full of it to snack on. I must admit he has a great recipe for cooking and it was in fact DELICIOUS.

After the 300 mile trip home, Rick had to drive his trailered bike home to Virginia Beach. I didn't envy him that additional 100 miles and 2 more hours of driving.

I hope to drop some video on YouTube this weekend. It was a great Fall ride in the mountains and I look forward to the next meeting of the Virginia Valkyrie Riders Group!

Richmonder

View attachment 12805

View attachment 12806

View attachment 12807

View attachment 12808

View attachment 12809

View attachment 12810

View attachment 12811

Richmonder

View attachment 12805

View attachment 12806

View attachment 12807

View attachment 12808

View attachment 12809

View attachment 12810

View attachment 12811
🧡

·
Registered
102 Posts
Great write up. I had planned to ride the Parkway this past summer but it didn’t happen. I would like to get a ride in this fall. I have so much I want to do.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Richmonder

View attachment 12805

View attachment 12806

View attachment 12807

View attachment 12808

View attachment 12809

View attachment 12810

View attachment 12811
Great writeup and you captured the highpoints of the trip. :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a stock seat that has been modded by Rick with slightly less padding up front to lower it on the bike. Rick has a Corbin.

Richmonder

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hah! I don't think he does this for money, but he does have some skills!

Richmonder

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks like ya'll had a great time buddy! Both of the bikes look great! Only got to watch one of your videos but I'll catch up! Good stuff my friend!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Anyone interested can watch the videos of the ride here. My GoPro splits them up into 8.5 minute segments and I haven't the software to paste them together. So there are 16 videos. I numbered them sequentially so you could follow the narration, but unfortunately YouTube didn't upload them in that order, so on YouTube they are not in numerical order.

Richmonder

Reactions: Sixshooter

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is Rick and official seat remodeler? I'm sure my tail bone is frickin bruised.
I have modified two of the original seats but before I attempted to modify the seat I bought a second stock seat from another member in one incase I screwed it up so I could put the bike back to original. I was trying to resolve two problems. First problem is I felt like I was sitting to high on the motorcycle and I was above center of gravity and I wanted to be lower in the bike. I felt like I was riding on top of the bike not in it but I had just come off a 89 Valkyrie with a custom Corbin I was trying to duplicate the same feel. Secondly the stock seat gave me a pain spot on both sides of the back of my legs because of contour of the foam. I popped the staples and pulled back the vinyl and using a sharp fillet knife removed several inches of foam to lower myself and the using a sander and sanding board I rounded the edges of the foam. Before reinstalling the vinyl glued a layer of upholstery foam which is like 1/8 thick onto the original foam and stretched the vinyl back and re-stapled. The mod resolved the first issue and lowered me into the bike which made it so much easier to ride and resolved the top heavy issue but the pain spots were still there. The hardness of the stock foam doesn't help. The first seat turned out so well I did the same thing to the second seat and was more aggressive on "bucketing" the foam in the middle using a 4" grinder with a sanding disk. Craig is on Mod. 2.0. Turns out neither seat resolved the hot spots but those are due from old hamstring injuries so I ended up buying a "used" custom Corbin and backrest from another member. I would suggest finding another stock seat if you plan to modify or let a local upholstery shop do it. If you cut to much foam you cannot put it back. :) Here are a couple of pics with the vinyl pulled back and the finished product. If you attempt to do the same I would not cut into back of the seat that your tailbone rest up against, the paint sticks stopped me from cutting back into it.
Wood Composite material Natural material Plywood Sports equipment

Knee Wood Human leg Tints and shades Carmine
Tire Automotive tire Sleeve Automotive wheel system Tread
Automotive design Black Vehicle Automotive exterior Headgear

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have modified two of the original seats but before I attempted to modify the seat I bought a second stock seat from another member in one incase I screwed it up so I could put the bike back to original. I was trying to resolve two problems. First problem is I felt like I was sitting to high on the motorcycle and I was above center of gravity and I wanted to be lower in the bike. I felt like I was riding on top of the bike not in it but I had just come off a 89 Valkyrie with a custom Corbin I was trying to duplicate the same feel. Secondly the stock seat gave me a pain spot on both sides of the back of my legs because of contour of the foam. I popped the staples and pulled back the vinyl and using a sharp fillet knife removed several inches of foam to lower myself and the using a sander and sanding board I rounded the edges of the foam. Before reinstalling the vinyl glued a layer of upholstery foam which is like 1/8 thick onto the original foam and stretched the vinyl back and re-stapled. The mod resolved the first issue and lowered me into the bike which made it so much easier to ride and resolved the top heavy issue but the pain spots were still there. The hardness of the stock foam doesn't help. The first seat turned out so well I did the same thing to the second seat and was more aggressive on "bucketing" the foam in the middle using a 4" grinder with a sanding disk. Craig is on Mod. 2.0. Turns out neither seat resolved the hot spots but those are due from old hamstring injuries so I ended up buying a "used" custom Corbin and backrest from another member. I would suggest finding another stock seat if you plan to modify or let a local upholstery shop do it. If you cut to much foam you cannot put it back. :) Here are a couple of pics with the vinyl pulled back and the finished product. If you attempt to do the same I would not cut into back of the seat that your tailbone rest up against, the paint sticks stopped me from cutting back into it. View attachment 12823
View attachment 12824 View attachment 12825 View attachment 12826

Thanks.

It's the tailbone that is painful. After only about 50 miles I have to start standing on the pegs for relief. Ive tried a beaded seat cover. An ATV pad flat and folded. Removing the passenger pad. Nothing helps so far. It can hurt so much that the next day can be uncomfortable sitting on hard chairs.

I'll try to find a local upholstery auto/boat person and ask for their help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks.

It's the tailbone that is painful. After only about 50 miles I have to start standing on the pegs for relief. I've tried a beaded seat cover. An ATV pad flat and folded. Removing the passenger pad. Nothing helps so far. It can hurt so much that the next day can be uncomfortable sitting on hard chairs.

I'll try to find a local upholstery auto/boat person and ask for their help.
I just did a two day ride with Richmonder in the mountains and by the end of the second day I had the same issue. I might try what this guy did:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just did a two day ride with Richmonder in the mountains and by the end of the second day I had the same issue. I might try what this guy did:
That actually looks more comfortable than the Air Hawk. But by the time you spend $100 to get the original gel seat cushion plus the Purple cushion, you're going to be at $200 or so. My issue with seats is not "just" my tail bone but the nonstop pressure on the prostate, or as some call it, the "taint". I don't have prostate issues, but having my entire body weight resting on that area for hours at a time gets pretty sore. Seems like they ought to make a pad that increases the padding on the butt and legs and lets the taint be sort of just supported lightly.

Richmonder

·
Registered
282 Posts
Seems like they ought to make a pad that increases the padding on the butt and legs and lets the taint be sort of just supported lightly.
Corbin has what they call the "ball job" option that relieves most of the pressure on the prostate. I got the ball job on my new Corbin and with the lowering, I am pleased. What I don't like about the Corbin (other than the price) is I thought it would also reduce my reach to the handlebars. Maybe a trip back to the factory for that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts