Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everybody,

I'm new to this forum, but not to motorcycles. I just purchased my "new to me" 2014 ABS last month and have already started the never ending accessories story.

The first thing I purchased was a Nelson Rigg CL-1060-R Commuter Lite Tail Bag. A bit of a PITA to install, but I finally got it nicely secured under the rear seat. For me, just the right size for the odds and ends that you may need for a short ride.

After a bit of research, my next purchase was a Show Chrome Belly Pan Black Anodized - 52-817BK. I actually found it pretty simple to install. A bit of fussing around to get the two screws installed for the forward piece, but nothing serious. It cleans up the look of the underside and more importantly protects the coolant reservoir from road debris. The added bonus, is that you can do an oil change by simply removing the forward piece, not the whole pan.

Sorry I didn't do any links to the items. I'm in Canada, a whole different world when it comes to aftermarket stuff for your bike. Yes, we can order stuff from the US, but import duties, exchange rates and sky-high shipping costs are limiting factors. I find it easier to order from a Canadian company and just bite the bullet on the cost of stuff here.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Looking good! At some point you may find the seat bag inadequate for your needs and get some saddlebags. There are more than a few options out there. Honda OEM bags are likely getting scarce as time goes on, so if you think you might want a set of those, keep an eye on this forum and maybe consider buying some. Most who have them have either gone with Honda OEM or Corbin, but there are a few others available. There may be fitment issues with anything other than Honda, as even with Corbin there have been issues.

That belly pan does look sharp and cleans up the look of the underside.

Thanks for sharing!

Richmonder

Reactions: AJS

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
259 Posts
If you want that belly pan I'd get on it quick! last November I went to order that show chrome from my dealer... the gal pulled it up and said show chrome had just discontinued it fortunately I found one on eBay but a lot of that 1800 Gold Wing stuff is starting to get hard to find

·
Registered
500 Posts
Does that have to come off to change oil?

Richmonder

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
259 Posts
Does that have to come off to change oil?

Richmonder
I'd say yes.. it covers the oil filter so rocks don't bust it open but it is pretty easy to get on and off, its kind of a design short-coming of the engines I asked the mechanic do I "REALLY" need one and he said if you live on or drive on gravel roads, yes otherwise no... but he said at the relative low cost of the mod its worth doing just in case you meet a rock

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
500 Posts

Price on the belly pan has come down just a little to $66.45 on Amazon. If you're interested in one, it may be a good time to get it. I note in the reviews, one guy said it didn't fit his 2014 Valk ABS. This is the exact model number indicated on the box in the picture above, so obviously it does fit. And another said the fit and finish was just OK, and that it scraped the ground. I'm assuming this guy must be pushing the envelope of cornering. Everyone else gave it good reviews and said it was a snap to install.

Richmonder

·
Registered
266 Posts
November of last year I purchased the unpainted model and it was installed without issue and without any lift. I don't know how it could scrape the ground unless that person is high centering the bike.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I was doubtful if it was strong enough but a lot of Goldwing riders lift heir bike with a belly pan.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Show chrome Belly Pan install for GL1800 - YouTube

Here's a video for installing the belly pan. That sheet metal is not going to support a 750 pound Valkyrie on a lift. The video is not one of the best filmed ones I've seen but he gets the job done. Oddly, while he's installing the front piece, he says ""V-Twin engine shakes a lot." Not sure what that was about.

And here is a video of a guy putting his Gold Wing on his lift with the belly pan in place.

Honda GoldWing Belly Pan will it Work with Motorcycle LIFT! - YouTube

It appears the weight of the bike is being supported on the frame, not the belly pan. So I suppose the answer to the question is, what kind of pan and lift are to be involved.

Here's a guy who "modified" his belly pan to accommodate a belly pan. In my opinion, he MANGLED it.

Goldwing Belly Pan, Centramatics, Dunlop E4 tires Final Thoughts - YouTube

Richmonder

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wow that's quite an increase. Mine was $60. When you install it, please post your experience. I fooled with it for three hours one afternoon and couldn't get it seated. The video online that explains how to do it says to pull the shield out just a little, but the metal is so thin I'm afraid I'm going to bend it before it pops out. And my slots on the pan don't seem to line up properly with the bolts. So I had to step away for a while.

Richmonder

·
Registered
95 Posts
@Richmonder - I installed it this past weekend. It was easy and didn't take much time, so here's what I did - nothing different from what the OP (@AJS ) and others have mentioned in the thread above, I should've taken a video but didn't.
The key is to have enough clearance ( I don't have a jack or a lift, so I just used my rhino ramps - rode the bike onto one of 'em and put my side stand on the other - which gave me a whole lot of clearance ) under the bike for you to find the 4 10mm bolts( 2 on either side ) that hold the plastic casing right by your gear shifter on the left and the foot brakes on the right. once you have the bolts off, you won't be actually taking out the plastic casing but kinda flex it out so that the side tongue of the rear part of the belly pan ( and is slotted for this on both sides ) gets in, there is also a slot punched out for the coolant overflow pipes, so position it accordingly.
After this step - fitting the front part is easy - you just have to align it to the holes already punched out - make sure you insert the tongue before tightening up. quoting from the OP and you will find this in the thread above - It's held on by sliding the front lip up and forward so it rests tucked into the lower cowling and then securing it to the rear section of the belly pan with two screws.
Hope this is helpful! Good luck!
I also did the USB phone charger but didn't have enough real estate left on my handlebar, so utilized the hardware of the Blvd screen to just hang it there. ( i think @Farther did something like that if my memory serves me right )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts