Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

Registered
HELP! I'm a Cycle-HOLIC. I've been a multiple offender for years. I'm fighting the addiction to upgrade,but the new GW is so slick with a Badass fairing, 126hp, 90 lbs, lighter and a proven 3 year old engine.
Valk only has 118hp, 150lbs lighter, and a 12 year proven bullit proof engine. Wait, all I need is a Badass Fairing. Can anyone supply me with one for less than $20,000 dollars.
That's what it will cost for a new GW. One like the photo will do.

eg

Attachments

Premium Member
HELP! I'm a Cycle-HOLIC. I've been a multiple offender for years. I'm fighting the addiction to upgrade,but the new GW is so slick with a Badass fairing, 126hp, 90 lbs, lighter and a proven 3 year old engine.
Valk only has 118hp, 150lbs lighter, and a 12 year proven bullit proof engine. Wait, all I need is a Badass Fairing. Can anyone supply me with one for less than $20,000 dollars.
That's what it will cost for a new GW. One like the photo will do.

eg
馃槀馃ぃ

Registered
I work in IT, and the struggle to not add unnecessary complexity is a DAILY struggle. Whenever someone wants to add something, any good IT planner will say "what problem are we trying to solve?", and if the answer is "uhhhh I am not sure, it just seems cool!" you need to reject it and move on.

So no, the Goldwing just seems like the designers said "Hey is that a thing? We like things! We should put that thing on the bike we design!"

That is not what I am looking for.

Registered
I work in IT, and the struggle to not an unnecessary complexity is a DAILY struggle. Whenever someone wants to add something, any good IT planner will say "what problem are we trying to solve?", and if the answer is "uhhhh I am not sure, it just seems cool!" you need to reject it and move on.

So no, the Goldwing just seems like the designers said "Hey is that a thing? We like things! We should put that thing on the bike we design!"

Never thought of it that way, now I need to go unthing a lot of things 馃槅

Registered
Never thought of it that way, now I need to go unthing a lot of things 馃槅
Lol, the struggle is real. Adding cool things because they are cool or seem interesting just means down the road you will have more failure points, or end up supporting something that did not add any value.

Especially in anything with grant like support or temporary funding boosts. Suddenly money shows up and people want new shiney things, but when that temporary money runs out, who supports it? And how does it continue getting funded? What happens when it breaks down?

It is a constant battle.

One of my favorite cars of all time is the 88-91 Honda CRX. Basic brake upgrade using OEM parts from a larger Civic, remove the brake booster, plop in a 160-200hp 4 cylinder engine from an Acura. You end up with a ~2000lb car with no power ANYTHING and amazing feel. I love knowing that the ECU could pop, the engine could grenade, and all your controls except the gas pedal still work exactly the same.

Registered
I work in IT, and the struggle to not add unnecessary complexity is a DAILY struggle. Whenever someone wants to add something, any good IT planner will say "what problem are we trying to solve?", and if the answer is "uhhhh I am not sure, it just seems cool!" you need to reject it and move on.

I am obviously no smart enough to understand the above. I love the style and appearance of the Valk. Based on looks alone, there are probably fifty other bikes I would prefer over a Wing. Nonetheless, the Wing is arguably the most comfortable, reliable tourer ever made.

Reactions: Suthrncop66

Registered
At 71, I think I am not old enough for a Gold Wing yet.

I'd be very happy if the Valkyrie had self-canceling turn signals and handlebars that were adjustable without modifications the designers didn't seem to envision. As I get older, I am sure I could use reverse gear too.

That being said, I think that I might be happy on a Rebel 1100.
The self cancelling signals come with the ABS optioned Valkyries, from what I've read. I would happily pay to have that added to mine.

As for Gold Wings...NFW. I could have esily bought one when I got my Valkyrie, but no interest at all.

Registered
Self cancelling on an H-D is near magical. Cancels in a couple seconds and never fails. My Ducati waits a quarter mile to cancel. Crazy Italians lol.

Registered
I guess I can play with it more and test it, but just offhand it seems like it works MOST of the time on slow 90 degree turns, like maybe 80-90% of the time. I have yet to ever notice it work on lane changes. I assume it has to have the bars turned far enough to cancel the signals? If so that would make sense why it works on Harleys and not on motorcycles that lean easily with barely any bar input.

Registered
Yeah, I鈥檝e never owned a bike with the self canceling feature, so it鈥檚 pretty automatic now to engage the thumb. It would be nice, I guess, to let that go. Going by someone who has forgotten to flick it off always helps to reinforce the habit.

Registered
I used to use a shift knob with microswitches and a controller in a car when I was younger for turn signals, click once to turn on and click again to turn off, 2 switches for left and right. I am sure you could do something similar if you wanted to.

Registered
Self cancelling on an H-D is near magical. Cancels in a couple seconds and never fails. My Ducati waits a quarter mile to cancel. Crazy Italians lol.
THAT'S because a couple seconds on a HD is only about 100 yards or so; on a Duc, you're easily at the 1/4 mile-mark! Not so crazy, those Italians! 馃挩 :giggle:

Registered
I was definitely a Wing wannabe but I鈥檝e changed. The riding experience is more visceral to me on a more manual machine. Same reason I prefer my manual five speed truck with wind up windows than my wife鈥檚 fancy Volvo with electronic everything. Life is a constant paring back to the essentials for me, especially important in this high-tech age. Hunter gatherers 鈥渓ived鈥 in a way we will never know. Sure, they died young, but they truly lived first.

Registered
I was definitely a Wing wannabe but I鈥檝e changed. The riding experience is more visceral to me on a more manual machine. Same reason I prefer my manual five speed truck with wind up windows than my wife鈥檚 fancy Volvo with electronic everything. Life is a constant paring back to the essentials for me, especially important in this high-tech age.
I agree about simplicity. Before adding anything to a system you need to ask "What problem are we trying to solve?", if there isnt a good answer don't add more complexity.

Hunter gatherers 鈥渓ived鈥 in a way we will never know. Sure, they died young, but they truly lived first.
Life for different hunter gatherers was different all over the globe, but in general while they had a high infant mortality rate, if you lived past adolescence your chances of a long healthy life were high. Chances are that those that made it past childhood usually lived longer healthy lives than we do today, not longer total lives, but longer healthy lives.

No environmental pollutants, healthy non GMO food everywhere, no hormone issues, no type 2 diabetes, insanely low if any rates of cancer, almost no disease transmission due to population spread and low density. Add to that the fact that most groups probably only worked a few hours a day on average. Sadly they didn't have motorcycles, but other than that it was very likely a very nice life.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts