Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Virginia Valkyrie Riders Club had an impromptu teleconference this morning and we got to talking about the new Gold WIng. Co-President Rick sent me a link to a YouTube video discussion of what was wrong or neglected on the 2021 version, and it got me thinking. First, if you're a Gold Wing owner and you're complaining that the horn button is too small, the radio reception is poor, or that the GPS sucks, maybe you're just a "little" spoiled. I mean, you're bitching about minor ergonomic things and conveniences that many bikes don't even have. Aww, the trunk doesn't come with a light as standard equipment? Poor baby.

I think for most of us, the path forward from a Valkyrie is going to be a Gold Wing. Giving up the sheer power of that flat six 1800 cc engine would be tough, and anything less would leave us bored. And there are few options out there that have more power than the GW in a cruiser straight from the factory. A few on here have already made the upgrade, including Big Smitty and a few others who have moved on, and I know others are copntemplating it, based on comments I see on this forum.

I can say I lust for the Gold Wing (a la Jimmy Carter, "I do have lust in my heart"). I have always been a gadget guy. The more, the merrier. I like switches. And buttons. And stuff that's adjustable or variable. Which is not to say I don't LOVE My Valk! It is just awesome and I get a thrill just looking at it, much less riding it. But it's a stripped down version of a GW and I like my gadgets. Yet, I bought my Valk at just the right time and got a fantastic deal on it, and it serves me quite well. It looks much more badass than a GW. But still, all that gadgetry and ergonomic stuff appeals to me. Back in high school, when ghetto blasters were the rage, I bought a unit that had as many adjustments on it as I could afford. All kinds of switches and knobs to adjust everything. I've kept it to this day, plugged in to a switched outlet in my bathroom, so that when I turn on the light, I instantly have my favorite classic rock station playing. That radio has been like a Honda motorcycle to me - it has never needed repair, and just keeps on working year after year.

However, paying four times what I paid for my Valk (with taxes, delivery, dealer prep, etc.) to get a GW just doesn't seem practical or financially advisable. Our property tax rates in Virginia are already ridiculous, and buying a new GW would increase those dramatically, not to mention the extra insurance.

It would take a very unique and special set of circumstances for me to part with my Valk. Never have I owned a motorcycle I loved as much as this. I may never get a GW, but if I ever decide to sell the Valk for some unforeseeable reason, and I still keep a bike, it will undoubtedly be a GW, as long as I am physically able to ride a big bike. I can dream.

What about you guys? Do you secretly or subconsciously want a GW, or is the Valk your ultimate ride?

Richmonder

·
Registered
392 Posts
At 71, I think I am not old enough for a Gold Wing yet.

I'd be very happy if the Valkyrie had self-canceling turn signals and handlebars that were adjustable without modifications the designers didn't seem to envision. As I get older, I am sure I could use reverse gear too.

That being said, I think that I might be happy on a Rebel 1100.

·
Registered
624 Posts
At 71, I think I am not old enough for a Gold Wing yet.

I'd be very happy if the Valkyrie had self-canceling turn signals and handlebars that were adjustable without modifications the designers didn't seem to envision. As I get older, I am sure I could use reverse gear too.

That being said, I think that I might be happy on a Rebel 1100.
The Honda Rebell is a fun/comfortable bike. I like the engine and cooling with easy access to maintenance. I think it would be a serious contender when considering downsizing weight and still able to enjoy riding. Great around town/day trip bike. It's either love it or hate it in the looks department. Although so is the Valkyrie a love it or hate it looks bike. I tend to like and see value in things that others do not.
Could probably work an even trade for a brand new one, the way the used Valkyrie market is going. (I'm not ready yet)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Interesting write up,

But does'nt the Valk dash say "GoldWing...... Valkyrie" ? so we're already GoldWing owners.
And the valk does have self cancelling turn signals, does it not? (I'm pretty sure mine are self cancelling, can't go for a ride to check, and its been months since I've ridden so memory is a bit fuzzy, but I'm pretty dang sure they're self cancelling)

Having said that, I do like the idea and feel of the GoldWing (no top box and extra stuff version, similar to the F6B) DCT version. I had a VFR1200XDA some years ago and absolutely loved the DCT tranny, and it makes perfect sense on a GoldWing. If I were to get the current F6B iteration, it would be the DCT version. It is very pricey however, and my Valk does everything I want, and I love its simplicity. So for now, the Valk stays.

Tazmool

·
Registered
392 Posts
And the Valkyrie does have self-canceling turn signals, does it not? I'm pretty sure mine are self-canceling, can't go for a ride to check, and it's been months since I've ridden so memory is a bit fuzzy, but I'm pretty dang sure they're self-canceling.
I'm thinking the ABS models have self-canceling turn signals but I don't know for sure. Is your Valkyrie an ABS model?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Non-ABS models don't have self-canceling signals.

Richmonder

·
Registered
113 Posts
I did not know that there would be a difference (besides ABS) between the ABS and non ABS models.
Yep, mine is the ABS model.
In Canada there were no non-ABS models imported (Canada is a small market, sometimes we have strange options, or lack there of, for bikes)

The self cancelling singals are not a big deal for me, I had them on my VFR1200XDA, and like on the Valk, I turn off my own singals out of habit anyway.

Tazmool

·
Registered
49 Posts
My father has a 2019 Goldwing. Lovely bike. He has it with the DCT, as he has arthritis. It is pretty nice, though I prefer manual shifting. It also gets up and goes. If I had a magic wand and could swap the Valk for a loaded wing, yes. I could purchase one if I wanted to, but I have no need for most of its features. I'm in my mid-30s, and I have a career and family, and the Valk with the luggage rack is all I use. That's why I make the distinction to the question: if I did not have to pay a dime and could swap, I would. However, I would use virtually none of the perks of the Wing and, thus, am not willing to pay for it. After the Valk, I imagine I will purchase a Wing; I like Honda's, and as you aptly pose, where do you go from the Valk? The new Rebel 1100 is cool, but it is too light for my taste. If you haven't ridden one since they revamped the Wing in 2018 or 19, you really should; They are a joy to drive.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If Honda would come out with a Valkyrie version of the current Gold Wing, I might be tempted.
Isn't that what the base model is? I have no interest in all the passenger comforts, so the base model is perfect for my needs and looks a lot like a Valk.

Richmonder

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Hi Craig!

I have never ridden a Wing, but I have yet to read a review of the Wing from a dissatisfied owner. There are only two minor complaints that I've read about. One, the trunk and side bags are too small, or smaller than previous models. I think they may have even resolved this. Two, the seat is still not as comfortable as it could have been. Other than those two things, I've seen nothing but glowing reviews.

Now, have I had Wing envy? Yes, I have. I've stated before if I started doing add-ons to my Valkyrie, things like heated grips, cruise control, heated seat and different bag configurations then why not just buy a Wing with all that stuff on it. They are beautiful machines and it's all about comfort and functionality, how much does one need? It's definitely a personal thing. Does the expense warrant the necessities? I really don't have anything to compare it to. My Valkyrie meets my needs at least for the time being and it's an awesome looking bike.

If I was planning on a cross country rides, I would definitely take a much closer look at getting a Wing. I could see things like reverse on a fully loaded bike and other Wing comforts could easily turn into necessities. The list is long that makes it attractive, starting with the double wish bone suspension and all the gadget goodies you pointed out. If I ever bought one, it would be the DCT. After my experience last summer at the entrance to Pike's Peak, riding uphill for 1.5 hours in bumper to bumper traffic working the clutch and brake was kind of exhausting for my old gnarled up hands.

Thanks for starting this thread! Lots of great experiences and feedback.

Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh goodness yes - I forgot about the reverse functionality; that is so nice. The other thing is it is simply better suited for a passenger. I put the passenger backrest on my Valk, but the wideness of the Wing in the rear just makes riding with a passenger much more comfortable.

·
Registered
146 Posts
No. To be clear, no. If I had to trade my black angry beast, there are literally 30 other bikes I would get before a GW. GWs are wonderful machines, but my enjoyment comes from the style, uniqueness and simplicity of the Valk.

Reactions: Sixshooter

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well Truth be told I have Goldwing lust with the 6 gears and all. I would own a new one right now if the bike wasn't $29,000 F&^$##@ dollars!! I think they are freaking awesome to the bone and like the fact they make trailer hitches for it, has lots more choices for rear tires to ride on the dark side, has 6 gears which I already mentioned and honestly I love the analog speedometer and tach set up on the bike not to mention the electronics package. Yep I would own one in heartbeat if I had the cash to pull the trigger either on a B or full dressed one. 2018 Honda® Gold Wing Candy Ardent Red | RedLine Powersports Myrtle Beach

1 - 20 of 58 Posts