Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought 2014 valkyrie and i like it the only thing that bothers me is the shifter it seems that there is not enough clearance is this just a learning curve or is there something i can do?

·
Registered
712 Posts
just bought 2014 valkyrie and i like it the only thing that bothers me is the shifter it seems that there is not enough clearance is this just a learning curve or is there something i can do?
FWIW I too thought that was something "I would have to fix" yet 8 months in and it doesn't bother me in the least. Quite like it in fact as it coaxes me into that tucked in position where the knees grab the tank. And that keeps my grip on the bars light. And that makes me ride better. Wow, all that from having a close-in shifter. Who would've thought? :) Seriously though, my suggestion is get to know the bike before doing too much. Honda engineers usually have pretty good reason for setting things up as they do ;)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would suggest you give it some time. As Geepers mentioned he felt he might need to fix it and didn't. With my new boots long ago I thought "Oh dear" and then meh. Now running very large boots and zero issues.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The shifter was my immediate disappointment first time riding it.

I've gotten used to it but still do not like it. Seems it was better suited for a smaller foot in a smaller boot or shoe.

I do not plan to make any changes and will leave it as is.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I never had an issue with the shifter. I'm not even sure what "clearance" issue you are talking about. My size 13 boots fit just fine with the shifter on my Valk.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The shifter was my immediate disappointment first time riding it.

I've gotten used to it but still do not like it. Seems it was better suited for a smaller foot in a smaller boot or shoe.

I do not plan to make any changes and will leave it as is.
That kind of sums it up for me, too. I have size 11 boots, but which boots I ride with makes a difference to the point that I exclude some from my line-up of choices with this bike. For me, the issue is the height of the toe of the boot, from the bottom of the toe's sole to the top of the exterior at about the toe "knuckles". I have some boots that are really thick in this dimension and they make shifting, up-shifting in particular, more difficult. I just use other boots that are thinner there when I ride the Valk. I've always just assumed it was designed by and for Japanese (smaller) feet. You really do adjust to it, as long as you aren't wearing engineer-style boots.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That kind of sums it up for me, too. I have size 11 boots, but which boots I ride with makes a difference to the point that I exclude some from my line-up of choices with this bike. For me, the issue is the height of the toe of the boot, from the bottom of the toe's sole to the top of the exterior at about the toe "knuckles". I have some boots that are really thick in this dimension and they make shifting, up-shifting in particular, more difficult. I just use other boots that are thinner there when I ride the Valk. I've always just assumed it was designed by and for Japanese (smaller) feet. You really do adjust to it, as long as you aren't wearing engineer-style boots.
Yep! I kinda hate it for a lot of folks who are then forced to get a heel/toe shifter or some other gadget.

Again with this valky, I fall back on the thoughts of the engineering and what would work best overall. I imagine they tried various shifters or extensions and etc. and then settled for this one.

I wear a 9.5 size but still have had issues with various boots I wanted to wear but shifting would have been a pain.

I will say the location is most likely idea to prevent it getting bent or broken if a tip over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts