Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I've been thinking about a dual sport for quite some time.
Last year I had a chance to swing a leg over a friend's WR250R, took it out on a short-ish ride, jammed it into some weeds, climbed a few ditches, rode it on the street and I was instantly thinking: Yep... I'd like one of these.

Additionally, this was before I had my Valkyrie, and my only bike at the time was a Yamaha Tenere 700, which I did off-road a bit.
After riding the WRR, I knew instantly that the Tenere was going to go to a new owner and I was ready to move on.

I knew I wanted something different for road riding (Tenere700 to Valkyrie or VMax) and for dirt and trail riding (Tenere700 to WRR/DualSport of some kind)

I'm not saying the WRR or Valkyrie are better than the T7, but for me, they made more sense.
The T7 off road is great for an accomplished off-road rider, Check out: Pol Tarres the seeker, Tenere 700
But for me, its brutally heavy for a dirt bike (I weighed mine at 450lbs) its tall, wide, felt incredibly intimidating on the dirt, and on the street, I was just not enjoying the T7 all that much. So I got my Valk for street riding, and never looked back.

Fast forward some months, searching for dual sports (wrr on top of my list), and almost as a fluke a CRF300L popped up very close to me.
Its about a year old, priced well (cheaper than a 10 year old WRR) but needed a bit of work (it sat a for almost a year, and needed a few parts to make it the way I wanted it for me, front & rear springs as its way under-sprung, skid plate, hand guards for protection and a few other personal touches) Otherwise its stock.

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

The little CRF is a great dual sport.
On the street, its definitely not fast, but surprisingly plush and street riding it, is only to get it to/from the trails, or linking a few trails together (street riding, the Valk is FAR better)
Off-road, its a blast! It feels and handles like its 1/3 the weight of the Tenere 700,
Compared to the Valk it literally feels like a mountain bike with an engine
Its very agreeable, friendly, and easy to ride (which makes for a far more enjoyable confidence inspiring ride in the dirt.)

I'd recommend trying a dual sport if you've ever fancied one. They're a hoot, and make a great 2nd bike in the garage.

Tazmool

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that photo is in Canada, taken just a few days ago, its near a small river (southwestern Ontario) and I was playing around doing little hill climbs and generally just testing out the bike.
It has rained a lot in my area, and that was the only spot I could put down the side stand and take a quick snap of the bike with out it falling over immediately. I did ride a few trails earlier that ride, and it was fun. (I'm currently on the hunt for some more protective riding gear appropriate for a dual sport)

I've ridden the Tenere 1200 on multiple occasions, its a great bike actually, I liked it when I rode it and was looking for something like that. (it was a Yamaha test day, rode the FJR1300ES, Super Tenere ES, FJ09 etc)

The Super Tenene is a great ADV Touring bike, and very much an undeserved underdog, but mainly because its a bike that is honest with itself, and a potential buyer would have to be honest with themselves as to what they need and want.
This review nails it pretty well: 24 Hours on the Super Tenere
I personally think the S10 is a great touring bike that could take you on fire roads, gravel/dirt roads, be reliable enough to go around the world etc. I bet it would shine riding from Florida to Alaska and back.

But if you really take it off-road, you'd better be quite skilled and experienced (and this is where the honesty with yourself has to come in)

I've owned a VFR1200XDA, and a Tenere 700. The VFR was 635lbs wet, good adv Tourer, tall, and top heavy. I dropped it twice, and literally pulled muscles picking it up (and yes, I did use the heavy bike lifting technique) The Tenere 700 is FAR lighter and more capable, but I'm just not that skilled, nor do I want to ride 1000 miles from home and tour around on single tracks with it, so I don't need it.
I have come to the conclusion that more than one bike, if you can do it, will fill a wider variety of wants.

Tazmool

1 - 2 of 2 Posts