Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got a charging/battery issue on my new to me 2014 Valk. Went to start, got the dreaded insufficient voltage growl. Put a full charge on the brand new battery, same thing. I've put roughly 3K miles on this battery.
While attempting a start, voltage drops to 9.5 to 10V. Jumped it, starts right up. Alternator output is 19V!!!!!!.
I suspect the regulator is internal to the alternator. Is this a known problem?
The battery has been confirmed to be bad. I need to investigate the 19V output before I install the new battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I called three different alternator/starter repair shops today. The consensus is that with that high an output, the rotor is shorted. Equated to someone having a major heart attack. looks like it's an anchor. Only 9300 miles on it.

Initial search isn't promising to find a used replacement. I don't suppose anyone has one they'd like to get rid of?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can’t the alternator shops rebuild it?
Unfortunately they said no. It seems that replacement parts are predominately from China, and they had nothing good to say about them. I offered to supply OEM, but with the cost of those parts, it would make sense to bite the bullet and go with a new OEM alternator. I really hate to do it, I'm currently searching the usual parts brokers and eBay. Pinwall informed me that there's no such thing as a 2014 Valkyrie...lol.
Apparently Goldwing units from 2008 to 2017 will bolt right up. The search continues.

I'm always open to recommendations.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Unfortunately they said no. It seems that replacement parts are predominately from China, and they had nothing good to say about them. I offered to supply OEM, but with the cost of those parts, it would make sense to bite the bullet and go with a new OEM alternator. I really hate to do it, I'm currently searching the usual parts brokers and eBay. Pinwall informed me that there's no such thing as a 2014 Valkyrie...lol.
Apparently Goldwing units from 2008 to 2017 will bolt right up. The search continues.

I'm always open to recommendations.....
There is a guy by the name of Dave Hunter who works at the Honda of Norfolk dealership in the shop. He has been there for years and he is a gold wing genius and knows more about the bikes than anyone in the state. I would call him and see what he thinks it could be. They are on east coast time and the number is 757-857-0107. If I had your problem I would be calling him first. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a guy by the name of Dave Hunter who works at the Honda of Norfolk dealership in the shop. He has been there for years and he is a gold wing genius and knows more about the bikes than anyone in the state. I would call him and see what he thinks it could be. They are on east coast time and the number is 757-857-0107. If I had your problem I would be calling him first. Good luck.
Excellent, I'll do that today.
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome. Please let us know if they have any suggestions or answers to what the problem is. I have a 2014 Valk and I am curious to hear what the problem is.
I spoke with Dave today...Great guy, sure seems to know his stuff. He talked me off the ledge about the alternator. He advised me to get a known good battery installed, then check the output again. The parts guy at the dealership suggested I go with a different p/n, 31500-MCA-003AH, one that goes in the 2007 ish Goldwings. Ordered from Rocky Mountain ATV. They seem to have pretty good prices, with free shipping over $75.

We'll see what happens with the new battery. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the headsup.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My guess...Install the new battery and don't look back.
These bikes are rock solid. There's some maintenance items that can be a PITA, I hate the plastics and I wish I had another gear, but other than that solid reliable bikes. Best of luck;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Also, do yourself a favor and pick up a decent motorcycle battery tender. Install that pigtail while installing your new battery. Inexpensive peace of mind, especially in the frozen North Country. I've had 9 years of service on two separate OEM Yuassa batteries this way. When my bike is parked it's on the charger. It will cycle on and off as needed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I spoke with Dave today...Great guy, sure seems to know his stuff. He talked me off the ledge about the alternator. He advised me to get a known good battery installed, then check the output again. The parts guy at the dealership suggested I go with a different p/n, 31500-MCA-003AH, one that goes in the 2007 ish Goldwings. Ordered from Rocky Mountain ATV. They seem to have pretty good prices, with free shipping over $75.

We'll see what happens with the new battery. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the headsup.
Ok good glad you called him. That guy really does know his is stuff about our bikes and anyone in Virginia with a problem with a Goldwing or flatsix motor knows to turn to him for answers. Not only that he is a hell of a nice guy and always willing to help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My guess...Install the new battery and don't look back.
These bikes are rock solid. There's some maintenance items that can be a PITA, I hate the plastics and I wish I had another gear, but other than that solid reliable bikes. Best of luck;)
That's my plan...what could possibly go wrong?
This 'having two bikes' thing is new to me, so I'll need to figure out a workable battery tender plan. I've always ridden my older Valk pretty much every day and never had to worry about it. Like so many others here, having both flavors of Valkyrie is great! So different, both fantastic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok good glad you called him. That guy really does know his is stuff about our bikes and anyone in Virginia with a problem with a Goldwing or flatsix motor knows to turn to him for answers. Not only that he is a hell of a nice guy and always willing to help.
Well, the new battery install didn't solve the problem. It started right up, but is still putting out 19V. I spoke with Dave, and he feels there's really nothing else that would cause this. I'd love to find a local shop that would at least put it on a test bench before going for the big piece.

The saga continues.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, the new battery install didn't solve the problem. It started right up, but is still putting out 19V. I spoke with Dave, and he feels there's really nothing else that would cause this. I'd love to find a local shop that would at least put it on a test bench before going for the big piece.

The saga continues.
Just saw this reply, man that stinks. I would agree with Dave what else would cause the surge? I wonder if your your reader could be off on voltage output?

·
Registered
87 Posts

The saga continues.
I am with sixshooter above, I would just install new battery and rolling. I think my bike out put is 13.8 volts when running.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts