Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about at the point of trading my bike in over the saddlebag issue. Sure it is a solid bike, but the lack of decent bags for them is ridiculous. I don't want to have to buy brackets, modify them, buy bags and then "hope" they fit! And $2000 for the Corbins is equally ridiculous. And why would Honda make such useless OEM bags?

Having huge buyers remorse over this bike...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Strangely enough I love my OEM bags and find them far from useless. That being said I hated them so bad when I first bought the bike I didn't even look at them again until... I had heaps of troubles with other bags.

I can understand your drama's mate but fortunately for me I love this thing enough that the enormous bag issues never put me off.

Not just bags but pretty much everything and that has worked out well for me in my neck of the woods. Only seen a hand full in the wild since 2014. My bike might be a strange beast but it is still usually the only one there and I am good with that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strangely enough I love my OEM bags and find them far from useless. That being said I hated them so bad when I first bought the bike I didn't even look at them again until... I had heaps of troubles with other bags.

I can understand your drama's mate but fortunately for me I love this thing enough that the enormous bag issues never put me off.

Not just bags but pretty much everything and that has worked out well for me in my neck of the woods. Only seen a hand full in the wild since 2014. My bike might be a strange beast but it is still usually the only one there and I am good with that.
I guess I just need to realize the bike is what it is. I wanted an F6B but not all the goldwing electronic crap. I love the "basic" bikeness of the F6C but I need some more utility. The leather bags look cheap to me and are useless since you can not lock them.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have a F6B so I bought the Valkyrie for what it is.
I have the tall Honda windshield and Hi Way pegs, so it's set up for day trips, the F6B for overnight trips.
So I don't what bags on mine, but I do like the Corbin bags but $2000 is a lot, the old Valk tourer bags also look great but you have to make them fit and they are not cheap.
I would not get rid of the Valkyrie because of lack of choices of saddlebags.
If you trade it in for another bike just for bags your talking thousands of dollars.
The Valk is a great bike, so I would just find a way to put bags on your bike.
They are choices.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I am about at the point of trading my bike in over the saddlebag issue. Sure it is a solid bike, but the lack of decent bags for them is ridiculous. I don't want to have to buy brackets, modify them, buy bags and then "hope" they fit! And $2000 for the Corbins is equally ridiculous. And why would Honda make such useless OEM bags?

Not sure what the issue is?

Get the Honda brackets and Stays for the Valkyrie and mount some Tsukayu Strong bags on them. Relocation of the rear signal lights may be necessary, but I saw pictures of someone who put them on and didn't do the relocation. Relocating the rear signal lights are not difficult. There is a thread on the VRCC site that shows how to do it.

A couple of people have done this and they came out looking good.

https://www.tsukayu.com/Strong.htm

·
Registered
127 Posts
I too was not in love with the OE bags at first but started using the and never looked back. I do wish they locked but I've never had a problem with theft or loss of any kind. I am adding a rear Viking tour pack that just came in this winter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have used Viking bags before and liked them, good quality. I just bought a set of these: https://www.vikingbags.com/viking-lamellar-leather-covered-shock-cutout-hard-saddlebag.htm I think the leather covering will go well with my metallic red bike. They are slightly longer and taller but about 2" narrower so they hopefully won't seem as bulky as the oem leather ones. No need to relocate turn signals. Still waiting on the factory brackets that will run you $300. Will post a picture when I get them installed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Get the brackets and with those you can basically rig anything you want onto the bike. Ive actually considered Givis using the OEM brackets. Totally doable.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't have a F6C yet. I had to wait until my kids were grown before buying a bike. I was excited to get to ride a scooter in panama city about 6 years ago. I'd lay in bed trying to go to sleep imagining owning a big boys bike and finally bought one at 55. I'm 60 now and have had 6 different bikes and loved them all just because they would go.

I see riding as a blessing! An opportunity to do something different. Good medicine. If I had to, I'd wear a back pack while riding. Bags on a bike are small potatoes to me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure what the issue is?

Get the Honda brackets and Stays for the Valkyrie and mount some Tsukayu Strong bags on them. Relocation of the rear signal lights may be necessary, but I saw pictures of someone who put them on and didn't do the relocation. Relocating the rear signal lights are not difficult. There is a thread on the VRCC site that shows how to do it.

A couple of people have done this and they came out looking good.

https://www.tsukayu.com/Strong.htm
Are the backs of the Strong bags flat? If not, will the brackets need to be modified? I do like the look of them, and the price, but I think the backs are not flat and that causes a need for bracket modification doesn't it? The Easy Strong bags have flat backs I believe, but they cost almost 2x what the Strong bags cost. Are did I read all that wrong???

Relocating turn signals is no big deal, but if I have to fabricate or modify bag mounting systems it begins to be a PITA. Also, on another thread I read horrible reviews about Tsukayu customer service and there was rumor of people's credit cards being compromised when they ordered the Tsukayu.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will post a pic of the setup I used. I bought the saddle bag mounting brackets and then some matzu hard saddlebags with mounting hardware ($199) . Saved a lot of money that way. Then I bought a sissy bar and backrest from ebay for around $40 that fit pretty good. I only had to drill one hole in (each side of) the rest to make it fit the existing saddlebag brackets. It sits a bit farther back than I wanted but I mainly wanted the backrest for something to strap luggage to. Save a ton of money that way.

Sorry I tried to post links to the bags and backrest but it wouldnt let me.

Backrest Sissy Bar Luggage Rack For Honda Shadow VT600C 1999-2007 VLX600 99-07 $35.80 ebay

MUTAZU UNIVERSAL LW HARD SADDLEBAGS - Matte BLACK $198

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will post a pic of the setup I used. I bought the saddle bag mounting brackets and then some matzu hard saddlebags with mounting hardware ($199) . Saved a lot of money that way. Then I bought a sissy bar and backrest from ebay for around $40 that fit pretty good. I only had to drill one hole in (each side of) the rest to make it fit the existing saddlebag brackets. It sits a bit farther back than I wanted but I mainly wanted the backrest for something to strap luggage to. Save a ton of money that way.

Sorry I tried to post links to the bags and backrest but it wouldnt let me.

Backrest Sissy Bar Luggage Rack For Honda Shadow VT600C 1999-2007 VLX600 99-07 $35.80 ebay

MUTAZU UNIVERSAL LW HARD SADDLEBAGS - Matte BLACK $198
Do you have a pic of those bags on your bike? Are they lined? They are 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of other bags.!
This may be a good option!! thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here are a few pics

Here are a couple pictures of the setup. I put the red reflectors on the bags for more visibility. The bags are not real hard and have some flex to them.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Was there any modification necessary to fit the Vikings bags to the OEM saddle bag mount?
No modifications. Just loosely attached the bracket on the bike. Positioned the bag where I wanted it and put a few marks on the bag. Took bracket off and layed flat on top bag to then marked all four holes with one of my wife's finger nail polish brushes. Set the other bracket on the other bag and measured to the same position. Drilled small holes then to the proper size for the bolt sleeves. Used all the factory hardware to bolt the bags on the brackets then onto the bike. The Viking bags are very thick walled on the back and feel very solid.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Are the backs of the Strong bags flat? If not, will the brackets need to be modified? I do like the look of them, and the price, but I think the backs are not flat and that causes a need for bracket modification doesn't it? The Easy Strong bags have flat backs I believe, but they cost almost 2x what the Strong bags cost. Are did I read all that wrong???

Relocating turn signals is no big deal, but if I have to fabricate or modify bag mounting systems it begins to be a PITA. Also, on another thread I read horrible reviews about Tsukayu customer service and there was rumor of people's credit cards being compromised when they ordered the Tsukayu.
Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, the back of the Strong Bags are flat.

I believe the price difference is whether you want fiberglass, or PVC bags. PVC is cheaper and just as good.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the Viking bags put on today with the factory brackets and hardware. Pretty happy with the results.
Are these the "Extra Large" or just the "large"? They look great and I am probably going to order some.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts