Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

Adaptor from portable battery jumper to pigtail

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  RRoy 
#1 ·
I have one of those portable battery jumper "bricks" you can use to jump start a car or bike. I also have a pigtail on my bike that connects directly to the battery. And, I have a connector for the brick with battery clamps on the end. But, given the difficulty of accessing the rear terminal without removing the seat, I got to thinking it would be a lot easier to have an adaptor/connector that ran from the charger to the pigtail with a simple plug-in, which would not only avoid removal of the seat but would avoid the hassle of even using clamps and make it almost idiot proof. I contacted the manufacturer of my unit (NOCO), and they replied there is no such thing currently available. I can't believe this. It is such a logical accessory since most people have a pigtail cable.

Anybody ever seen anything like this?

Richmonder

#3 · (Edited)
I can't believe this. It is such a logical accessory since most people have a pigtail cable.
I know almost nothing of battery stuff but I would think the current pigtails on the market can't carry the amperage needed to jump-start a bike.

I found conflicting recommendations on the minimum jumper cable gauge. Of course, bigger is better but is 10 gauge adequate. Here is an interesting article that may shed some light on what is needed.

That said, here is one 10AWG that looks interesting.

#4 ·
I know almost nothing of battery stuff but I would think the current pigtails on the market can't carry the amperage needed to jump-start a bike.

I found conflicting recommendations on the minimum jumper cable gauge. Of course, bigger is better but is 10 gauge adequate. Here is an interesting article that may shed some light on what is needed.

That said, here is one 10AWG that looks interesting.
Thanks Farther. That's a thought. But it really leaves me in the same position I'm in now, in that I can't plug it directly in to the brick. This seems like such an obvious problem that should have been solved by someone already, I can't believe there isn't something simpler out there.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm in a similar position.

The battery on my Valkyrie is original but working well but, batteries seldom give good warnings of imminent failure. In planning for a cross-country trip this summer, I'm wondering what to do, replace the battery or carry a jump starter. Worse case is I could fry something more than just fuse on the pigtail. I have the TACKLIFE T8 800A Peak 18000mAh Lithium Car Jump Starter that I could carry and a 10 gauge pigtail.

Yesterday the brown truck delivered a battery tender that will be installed in addition to the OEM accessory plug and a pigtail to charge my iPhone which I use for GPS when the weather gets warm enough to work outdoors on the bike. The OEM accessory plug will be charging a battery-operated CPAP machine while on the road.

Too many choices, I'm thinking the short answer is it's best to just keep a good battery in the bike (if I could find one).

#6 ·
I'm in a similar position.

The battery on my Valkyrie is original but working well but, batteries seldom give good warnings of imminent failure. In planning for a cross-country trip this summer, I'm wondering what to do, replace the battery or carry a jump starter. Worse case is I could fry something more than just fuse on the pigtail. I have the TACKLIFE T8 800A Peak 18000mAh Lithium Car Jump Starter that I could carry and a 10 gauge pigtail.

Yesterday the brown truck delivered a battery tender that will be installed in addition to the OEM accessory plug and a pigtail to charge my iPhone which I use for GPS when the weather gets warm enough to work outdoors on the bike. The OEM accessory plug will be charging a battery-operated CPAP machine while on the road.

Too many choices, I'm thinking the short answer is it's best to just keep a good battery in the bike (if I could find one).
On a bike that is at least 6 years old now with a battery that is original, if you're taking a long trip, a new battery should be at the top of your to do list. That is cheap insurance against very unpleasant circumstances. You'll sleep a lot better. And carry the jumper with you as well, if not for yourself, then for someone else. Assuming you have room, that is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.