Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas,

Trying to connect a switched USB or cigarette lighter 12v to the Honda Accessory Cable under the seat.

Seat removal was easy-peezy. How do I either remove the dummy end or the round rubber pieces inside so that I can attach a "Battery Tender-type connection" to it?

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
If I recall the cap just pulls off but there might be a tab to depress to remove it. It will not be a "plug & play" with your battery tender type connector. But it is a plug & play for the Honda 12v accessory socket part #: 08E70-MJR-670.

Another option is the Battery Tender Ring Terminal Accessory Cable would be an easier and cheaper way to get a battery tender plug on your bike. They come in several lengths and gauges. Amazon.com: QOFOWIN Ring Terminal Harness,with 15A Protection Fuse for Safety, 2-Pin SAE Quick Disconnect Extension Plug with 2FT 10AWG SAE Battery Extension Cable for Motorcycle Cars Solar Panel,Power Supply: Automotive

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Farther,

So I got the waterproof dummy connector off. It was simple once I got the whole end assembly unclipped from the plastic frame.

So I guess it turns out the exposed end of the dummy connector (pic attached) just looks uncannily like a battery tender easy-connector - that's confusing.

On the other side of things, I already have the Ring Terminal Harness you mention. I can just use that and connect directly to battery?

Unless I can find a less expensive accessory socket.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
The ring terminals do connect directly to your battery but it will always be hot which is not a bad thing depending on what you intend on using it for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi Fellas,

Trying to connect a switched USB or cigarette lighter 12v to the Honda Accessory Cable under the seat.

Seat removal was easy-peezy. How do I either remove the dummy end or the round rubber pieces inside so that I can attach a "Battery Tender-type connection" to it?
I had the battery tender connection already in place, so simply added an SAE-to-SAE extension to the end of the Battery Tender connection and routed it to the handlebars, added an in expensive voltmeter that has 2 fast-charging USB ports, or I can quickly unplug the voltmeter and connect the Battery Tender charging unit right there at the handlebars....but it's not switchable. When I'm not riding for a few days and not long enough to connect the charger, I just leave the voltmeter unplugged so as to avoid trickling from the battery. Simple, affordable and flexible.

·
Registered
669 Posts
So I just went ahead and bought this instead of having a cord going from under the seat to my phone, this will go from battery to handlebar.

iMESTOU Waterproof Motorcycle 12V Cigarette Lighter Socket 5V 2.1A Dual USB Phone Charger Power Adapter with Voltmeter Mount on Handlebar for Phones/Tablets/GPS Amazon.com: iMESTOU Waterproof Motorcycle 12V Cigarette Lighter Socket 5V 2.1A Dual USB Phone Charger Power Adapter with Voltmeter Mount on Handlebar for Phones/Tablets/GPS

View attachment 12691 View attachment 12692
That's the identical unit I bought (there are many like it on ebay, where I found mine), Ran the cable along the frame under the tank using a coat hanger and used wire ties to secure it. The power cable was just barely long enough to reach and it has to stretch just a little when I turn the bars. I've found it to be a very useful unit and it performs just as I expected. And it's nice to have the voltage indicator. Just always remember to turn off the switch after your ride. For $15, you can't beat it! I have my phone mount right next to the unit and found some nice short charging cables that are only 8" long that are perfect for this application:

Very inexpensive, no excess to cover up, and easy to store in a small area of whatever storage you want to use. There are other ones in 6 inch length and in different design.

Richmonder

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, makes me feel even more confident that I bought the right one! I did Amazon for the free 2-day shipping.

Thanks R,

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for sharing. On my Heritage, I ran wiring direct from the battery to a USB port on the handlebars. Then learned the hard way that a USB has a constant power draw. On my Valk, I soldered a splice into a switched circuit under the instrument cluster and ran to the USB near the bars.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have one very similar to that I bought it on eBay 2 or 3 years ago still working great.
I have it connected to the accessory port under the seat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to battery just to not have to buy the extra adapter. I thought I found a cheap version outside of a Honda OEM parts site but now I'm not finding. Seems they average $90-100.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You just need some pins, and they fit in the dummy plug,
My Honda dealer gave me some.
RadioShack would also have some.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You just need some pins, and they fit in the dummy plug,
My Honda dealer gave me some.
RadioShack would also have some.
Did you use a Honda power sports dealer? I tried the local car dealer with no luck was hoping the terminal pins would carry through to the auto side but no luck.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would think anyone that works with electronics would have the pins my dealer had a plastic bin with different size pins

1 - 15 of 15 Posts