Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's 90+ degrees, humid and sunny here in Richmond today, and pretty inhospitable to work on a bike outdoors, but I had things to do. Got the bike inspected today, and my neighborhood mechanic came out to give it a quick glance before signing off, and said "WHOA!!! WHAT is THAT?!" So we went through the bike and he was pretty impressed. He was kind enough to ask me where I wanted the sticker, and since I have no bolt-on plate, I had to go with the fork tube (ARGH!). Broke my heart to slop up the bike with that, but what can you do. He suggested a plate, and I told him technically they're not legal because they can be removed and put on another bike. He said "good point".

Then I decided it was time to move some accessories from the CTX to the Valk. I have a RAM phone mount, a RAM cup holder, and the power port to put on. Being used to much longer bars on the CTX, I was stunned at how little bar space there is on the Valk. Not many permutations will work with that many gadgets. So I started with the phone mount. I removed it from the CTX. What a pain. The U-bolt screws are longer than they need to be and finely threaded, and without an extended socket (which I do not have), you can only use a socket so far before the socket won't reach the nut anymore, and then you have to use a Crescent wrench. What should take 3 minutes ended up taking 15 just to remove it from the other bike.

Then I had to make difficult decisions. With the windshield in place, there is already a great deal of handlebar room taken up with those mounts, leaving minimal space for the rest. Then we have the cable clips that are attached in the front. So it's either between the cable clips and the windshield mount, or the windshield mount and the instrument panel. I decided to place it between the windshield mount and the panel. It is VERY tight in there, and the RAM mount does not seat flatly, But I did what I had to do. Then I had to position the double ball grip so that the X-grip feet of the phone mount didn't hit the windshield mounts. I finally found a suitable configuration and got it on. I'm not 100% happy but close. This all took the better part of an hour. Just try to maneuver a small Crescent wrench underneath that windshield, and in between all that hardware! NOTHING is ever easy!

I guess now I'll mount the cup holder on the right bar, and the power port on the left of the phone next to the clutch hydraulic box. Does this sound doable and advisable? How do you guys have your phone mounts for those that have them?

Richmonder

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes, it's tight - I too have the power port attached (with electrical tape for now) on the left of the phone next to the clutch hydraulic box. I don't have a cup holder as it doesn't work well with a fullface helmet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Same here. I hard wired the GPS straight to the battery and with the shield mount, there is not much room, I ended up grinding off the tabs that hold the wire loops so they could be moved around and used black zip ties to secure them.

You are correct. Not a lot of room.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Good call on that move, Old Guy. I'm always reluctant to tamper with stock assemblies. Not being mechanically inclined, I usually end up messing something up. And grinding would be something I'd be afraid to do for fear of damaging the finish on the bars.

Richmonder

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, it's tight - I too have the power port attached (with electrical tape for now) on the left of the phone next to the clutch hydraulic box. I don't have a cup holder as it doesn't work well with a fullface helmet.
Where did you tap into for power. Somewhere up front or did you take things apart to go to the battery?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally had a nice weather day here amd after getting a ride in, I thought I'd see about mounting my power port, amd I must say I am befuddled. There is absolutely nowhere, left or right, to mount the power port in a visible position, now that the windshield and phone mount are mounted on the bars. It is going to take some real creativity to get it on there. As I said, nothing is ever easy!!

But, its3 a beautiful night with an almost full moon, and I'm out grabbing dinner to break up a nice ride around town. Nice and cool out for the first time on months.

Richmonder

·
Registered
160 Posts
I finally had a nice weather day here amd after getting a ride in, I thought I'd see about mounting my power port, amd I must say I am befuddled. There is absolutely nowhere, left or right, to mount the power port in a visible position, now that the windshield and phone mount are mounted on the bars. It is going to take some real creativity to get it on there. As I said, nothing is ever easy!!

But, its3 a beautiful night with an almost full moon, and I'm out grabbing dinner to break up a nice ride around town. Nice and cool out for the first time on months.

Richmonder

Plenty of room on the handlebars. Here's some old pictures of what I did. On my left I have my Kenwood V71a amateur radio. I got the 1" clamp mount, actually two of them on eBay very cheap, and made my mount for the control head with that as the base. On the right I am temporarily using an Otterbox holster for my Note 9. I don't have a picture of that. I will be upgrading to a wireless fast charger permanently mounted once I build the cradle. I hate plugging in the USB cable every time I get on the bike. I even put bluetooth on the bike, which is hidden. The phone connects automatically when the bike starts. All audio goes through a wired helmet system so all I do is just plug the helmet cable into the bike. It's simple, clean, and seamlessly integrated.

There's plenty of options that are only limited by one's creativity.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like what you did with everything! The issue with this bike is that 50% of the available space on the bar is angled around the dash, and none of that space is useful for mounting anything. So that leaves an inch or two left or right of the hydraulic boxes, which basically is enough for one mount on each side (excluding the windshield). Unfortunately I am not a creative person and am not very mechanically inclined, so I wouldn't know where to start. I don't know anyone who has the skill and know-how to create anything custom for me. I guess I'll eventually figure something out! I envy you guys who have fab and creative skills like that.

Richmonder

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like what you did with everything! The issue with this bike is that 50% of the available space on the bar is angled around the dash, and none of that space is useful for mounting anything. So that leaves an inch or two left or right of the hydraulic boxes, which basically is enough for one mount on each side (excluding the windshield). Unfortunately I am not a creative person and am not very mechanically inclined, so I wouldn't know where to start. I don't know anyone who has the skill and know-how to create anything custom for me. I guess I'll eventually figure something out! I envy you guys who have fab and creative skills like that.

Richmonder

Not sure what all you want to put on the handlebars? A good smart phone is a must. I use mine for navigation and entertainment while on the road. We got two good spots on the bars that flow nicely for operations and are aesthetically acceptable. A USB port can be put anywhere on the bars, I actually have two UBS cables ran to the right side, a USB-C and MICRO-USB so I can run new or old style phones. That will go away once I install my wireless fast charger. I will put a standard USB socket up there for future use. I have no need for a 12v accessory socket up there. I might put one on the cowl where I have my helmet jack, but I really don't need one. I don't believe in using radar detectors, never owned one and never will. Good luck. Shoot me a PM if you need any help with something.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Power port

Where did you tap into for power. Somewhere up front or did you take things apart to go to the battery?
I would say if you want it "switched" use the power port connection under the seat. You can buy a matching plug type or go the fast route like I did & use posi taps & cut off the factory plug.If youv'e never used them you'll be surprised just how well they work.....

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! That is about as tight as it gets. Is your power port mounted on the horizontal part of the bar, or the angled part? My X-grip phone mount is where your GPS is, and if I put the port next to that, I don't think the X-grip will work. I may have to look at the configuration and see what I can do. I bet that install was fun trying to get everything in positions that would fit.

Richmonder

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hot Rod, my power port has an on/off switch on it, which was one reason I chose the unit. Those are nice connectors!

Richmonder

Reactions: Hot Rod

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hot Rod, my power port has an on/off switch on it, which was one reason I chose the unit. Those are nice connectors!

Richmonder
That would be cool (switch) .... This is the first bike I've not put in a "fuse panel " for accessories..... Things have changed. I was ALWAYS a big believer in front lights,even more so with the arrival of LED lighting. I can honestly see the difference of reaction as far as being seen. When the front lights were halogen they drew too much power but now not so,cell phone very little as GPS also... On this bike kind of ironic that we have a bigger battery & probably the biggest alternator on a production bike with very little need... What always got me started was the front lights ..... first thing on my fuse panel..... No need on the valk, connectors already there. Add up the draw of everything else & that connector under the seat will easily handle it..... ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
That would be cool (switch) .... This is the first bike I've not put in a "fuse panel " for accessories..... Things have changed. I was ALWAYS a big believer in front lights,even more so with the arrival of LED lighting. I can honestly see the difference of reaction as far as being seen. When the front lights were halogen they drew too much power but now not so,cell phone very little as GPS also... On this bike kind of ironic that we have a bigger battery & probably the biggest alternator on a production bike with very little need... What always got me started was the front lights ..... first thing on my fuse panel..... No need on the valk, connectors already there. Add up the draw of everything else & that connector under the seat will easily handle it..... ;)

I love having that big battery and alternator as my amateur radio puts out 50 watts and neither the battery or alternator even flinch after prolong use.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ham

I love having that big battery and alternator as my amateur radio puts out 50 watts and neither the battery or alternator even flinch after prolong use.

I'll bet you do .... :) ... KE4NWI here ,Got a dual band Yaesu in my Jeep,never considered one on bike. That is just cool. I may put a fuse panel on mine yet,I would use a relay & trip it with the power outlet wire I'm using now,be nice to have constant power to charge a dead cell phone in saddlebag ..... :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I fitted a couple of 4 inch spotlights, heated grips controller, a GPS, a SPOT satellite tracker and a flashlight to shine straight down into the fuel tank filler neck for night time fill ups from the jerry can (seen in the left mirror).
The screen is from a Yamaha FJR1300 mounted using the Honda Boulevard screen mounts.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, I don't even know how to respond to that one! I can't imagine how you did all that. You sure have some bling on that bike! Y'all are making me feel really stupid.

Richmonder

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
My power port has been staring at me from my desktop for several weeks. But it's been too hot to fool with anything on the bike until now. Sorry, I just don't like the heat. So today, now that it finally cooled off a bit, I decided I was going to figure out a way to mount the port. As I said previously, I didn't like the logistics of any spot on the bars. As I was sizing up the situation, I came up with an idea. The port not only came with a U-shaped bar mount, but also a flat "T" bar that extends beyond the body of the port for mounting (I assume) on a rear view mirror or other bolt.

I decided to see what I could do with the T bar on another bolt somewhere instead of the U-shaped handlebar mount. It wouldn't work on the rear view mirrors. So I thought, why not use the windshield mount bolts for double duty! I was able to locate a hex bit that fit the underside of the windshield mounting bolt, but of COURSE there are clutch and wiring cables DIRECTLY underneath that, so I couldn't use a bit driver. I ended up having to use vise grips with the bit angled at 90 degrees to hold the bolt in place while I turned the nut on top about 5 degrees each turn, again due to limited space to work.

The hole in the T bar was just a little too large for the supplied windshield mounting nut to seat on, so I grabbed one of two spare washers I had in my hardware jar. And, of course, its center hole was just a hair too small for the bolt. So then I had to drill out the hole, gripping the washer with my vise grips and holding it flat against a slab of wood. The torque of the bit was enough to twist the washer in the vise grips and I had to re-grip several times. Once drilled out, I was able to place it under the nut and it worked perfectly to secure the port on the mount. You can see the spare washer in the photo.

Now the port is mounted, and although it isn't straight forward and backward, it's useable at that angle. And it's nice and close to the phone mount. I still have to wire it, but after spending an hour on this mount, I'm fried and at the end of my patience. I am certain routing that wire under the tank to the battery is going to be a treat as well.

Nothing is ever easy, especially when you don't have the proper tools or ingenuity to do things properly!

Richmonder

Attachments

Reactions: Flat Six
1 - 20 of 30 Posts