Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Cape Breton Island, Canada. As I write this we are soon to be hit by Hurricane Fiona which has already carved a destructive path through the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. My bike is currently parked outside with a rain cover on so I hope it stays there when Fiona goes past haha!

I bought my 2015 in August last year after riding a 2003 for 17 years. I quickly realised that I would not be able to ride for very long with the discomfort I felt after just a couple of rides around the block. I had a 3,500 km 2-up ride to do in a couple of weeks and debated if I should use my 2003 which I still had.
I decided I wanted to ride the 2015, mainly because of the ABS, the bigger tank and just the sheer fun of a new bike.

So over the next couple of weeks, I did the following mods:

• Put in 2 inch risers.
  • Lowered the OEM tall windshield as far down as it would go. (the risers created huge gaps at the bottom)
  • Put on a couple of toe rests. I don’t need to stand on them, just rest my toes. After 17 years on a bike with them this was a must for me.
  • Fabricated a small makeshift backrest. I ride mostly 2-up and the Corbin backrest is way too big. Plus, I pefer to ride without a backrest and the one I made goes in and out easily and takes up very little space in my Honda bags. Very handy when I just need to rest my back for a few minutes during a long ride. Not pretty but it works and is hidden away most of the time.

When we put the risers in (a big shout out to @bscrive for helping me with this), we secured the display pod with a couple of cable ties. Too loose and wobbly. The next day I removed them and used the metal bits from inside two cable clamps that were taken off to enable the pod to “rise”. Worked really well.

While I still miss my 2003, after a year of many rides, I love my 2015 now.

Next jobs when I put her away for the winter is a set of hardbags and maybe a centre stand. The OEM bags are just too small for me and I hate that I can’t lock them.

I’m happy that I made the move to the 2015. The 2003 was great to ride and always the centre of conversation whenever I stopped for coffee, but I’d put about 100k miles on it and things were starting to need some real maintenance. The ABS is a good safety addition and not having to stop for gas so frequently is a real plus on long rides.
Just before covid hit, my wife and I were planning a ride to Zion National Park which we obviously had to cancel…it’s time to restart that planning on our new(to us) shiny red Valkyrie
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hood Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car

Flower Plant Flowerpot Vehicle Hood

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts