Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a 12v outlet on their Valk?
I have a handle bar mount unit to install and wondered if there are any tips out there to help get the wiring routed from the power plug to the battery.
If the tank has to come off is there a write up available?
Thanks,

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have not done an outlet but I did run power for phone and radar detector. No need to removed the tank. Just run the wire along the handle bars to the frame then snake the wire between the tank and side fairing. Remove the seat and make your connections. Guess you need to determine if you want the outlet to be hot all the time or just when the ignition switch is on. pros and cons both ways.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks superjim.
I found a youtube video for installing a power commander and it showed the basic steps to remobe the seat, radiator side covers and fuel tank.
Seeing how little there is under the tank it looks fairly easy to run the wires as you had described. The fewer pieces I have to take off and remount the better it will be.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks superjim.
I found a youtube video for installing a power commander and it showed the basic steps to remobe the seat, radiator side covers and fuel tank.
Seeing how little there is under the tank it looks fairly easy to run the wires as you had described. The fewer pieces I have to take off and remount the better it will be.

Trust me, you don't want to remove that tank unless absolutely necessary. You would have to wash your mouth out with soap before you were finished.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a USB dual port added to the handlebars and ran a batt tender connection to a 12v I use for my radar detector. Batt tendered was easyto set up and no need to take off the tank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Power outlet is mounted, took about an hour. I first had to lengthen the wires so they would reach all the way back to the battery.
Outlet was placed on the right handle bar close to the gauges. I ran the outlet wires along the main harness and then down into the headlight opening following the throttle cables through the triple trees. Then under the left side of the tank to the battery.
With the side cover and seats off there is a lot of room to work with.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Curt, I'll see if I can get some pic's posted.

The outlet came from Cycle Gear and is already sealed on the outside and comes with a very heavy duty rubber cap and o-ring seal on the outlet opening.
Shouldn't have any water concerns if the cap is in place. Don't think I would want it open and in use if it were raining.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are a couple of pic's of the Cycle Gear power outlet.
Worked well during my recent 1800 mi trip. Got caught in a heavy rain, but everything inside stayed dry.
Cost was $ 20.00

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you guys had any problem following these installation instructions? Instruction No. 4 says, "Open the (Right Side) box cover with the ignition key as shown. My 2014 Valkyrie Goldwing right-side box cover does not have a key lock. Furthermore, the left side box has a key lock that opens the fuel filler cover and appears to have a square knock-out that could be intended for some accessory.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I just order one from eBay.
Isn't there a Acc connection in the toolbox behind the right side cover under the seat?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The right side cover box is behind the side cover. Pull off the right side piece with the Valkyrie logo on it. Behind that should be a cover with a key slot. Open that and there is a spot to mount the outlet. It helps if the seat is off and that way you can gain access from the top.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the help. I know the locking box you described. I think I prefer to mount the Acc socket in a location closer to the handlebars where it will be accessible to my handlebar-mounted Garmin. I poked around under the right-side plastic panel and found a three-pin connector with a dummy plug (I will post the pics if I can figure how). I am guessing they are somehow intended for installation of the right-side fog light.

I have been reviewing the instruction set for ACCESSORY SOCKET P/N 08E70-MJR-670 (Publication MII 14918). Is this the correct guide?

Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
That looks like the correct guide.
Having just got my bike i am in the process of sorting some accessories.I have had the seat off and if you look between the end of the fuse box and the beginning of the tank tucked away is a socket with a protection blank plug.Remove the plug and that is where the acc socket will fit.Because of the length of wire attached to the socket it will only reach to the mounting point in the right side cover.It is a switched live from ignition not always live.
I think the plug you found is for the fog lights.
If you search on you tube for "cruisemans garage" he has lots of videos explaining accessories being fitted to Honda Goldwings.The one about the fog lights shows you where the plugs are and the 12 volt power is taken from.

I watched some videos because for my first job i wanted to install some foglights but unfortunately for me with the import duties from USA and the postage the lights are 514 dollars which is over £400 in our money so will keep looking locally.
I want to fit fog lights, heated grips ,go pro and a mobile phone supply for sat nav.
Didn't fancy coming off the same single wire for all accessories so am fitting a Innovv power hub

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks Paul, for the reference to Cruiseman's Garage.I have continued to pursue a design that will work for me. I picked up a Bikemaster Accessory Socket that is priced considerably less than the OEM part. It came with a Deltran Battery Tender type of tap with ring terminals and inline 10A fuse. I will connect the 12V accessory socket to the battery so that I can have the full 10 amps if I ever need it. I won't power my Garmin with this 12V 10A (always on) socket. Instead, I will use the switched accessory plug that is provided in the locking glove box, since it is switched off by the ignition key. I will use the Deltran USB Charger to power my handlebar-mounted GPS, and I'll keep it tucked safely inside the locked box. (I need to confirm that the Deltran unit will be able to push the 2 amps needed by the GPS model I have.) I will run a USB cable from the Deltran unit to the handlebars where the Garmin is mounted. I think it will make for a neater installation than I could have accomplished using the factory design.

I got the Deltran USB Charger for under $10 and the Bikemaster kit for under $15. This is much less costly than the OEM ($100) and more versatile.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts