Tire availability.... or lack thereof. - Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum
 9Likes

post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Thumbs down Tire availability.... or lack thereof.

Man I can't believe the problems I have getting rubber for this bike. I chewed off all the tread on the front tire and had to suffer the fact I had to make do with one that says "Harley Davidson" embossed on it now I go to order a back one...

Nope...

Maybe next month there may be some in the country..... maybe. That last word had a big emphasis on it.

I just rode down to the dealership for a wtf face to face and they said they could understand but Honda makes bikes not tires, they also understood when I said a reasonable person would expect you could buy the basics for a 6 month old bike.

Their making some calls tomorrow because I simply am not putting some **** hoop on there that is meant for a much lighter bike. I want the same or better, not less.

When I was doing research on this bike I read of the dramas with tires on release but how long has this thing been out now... and no tires? One of the things they spruiked in the Honda commercial for this bike was the special 19' wheels. **** right they are special. So special nobody has any tires for it.

How do you guys go or is this an Aussie thing?
post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 08:59 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Garage
I stopped by my local shop and they said they could get me a front tire in three days. I'm temped to get one and store it just incase of a blow out or when it wears out. But I was hoping that someone would put out a tire other than the OEM before I need one. I have 3500 miles on it and I'm getting to the place that I need to make a chose. And your right this $ucks. Why Honda just didn't go with a 18" and save us all a lot of head. While typing this I'm going to call the dealership right now and order a tire and see how long it takes to get it. Also I started a thread here about dealership requests to try and have us all post there to track out requests at dealerships for help with aftermarket parts like tires. I'm going to start pushing up again on the tire companies.

Last edited by Surfndad; 07-30-2015 at 09:01 AM.
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 10:49 AM

Garage
Well I just bit the bullet and ordered a front Dunlop OEM and a rear Avon Storm 3D XM for the rear. I want to get a matched front when AVON comes out with a front but because everyone is having such trouble finding them I'm not going to wait and have the bike stored for two months waiting for something to come availably. I'll let everyone know how long it takes for the front to show up.
wgold9722 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There's been a lot of thread activity on multiple Valkyrie/F6C forums about this very problem. Other than the OEM Dunlop there aren't any other options for the front tire.
I've not seen nor read anywhere that a different manuf had a matched set of radial tires in development. There are other correctly sized rear radials out there but nothing for the front.

There is a call-in & email "campaign" in progress asking Michelin and Metzler to produce a Valk front tire. May not hurt to join in, the more inquries they have the better for all of us.
Especially since most of the original 14 models should be nearing the point where new tires and going to needed.
wgold9722 likes this.

Buzzard

USAF 72-76 S.E.A. x 2

1974 Yamaha TX500
2000 Kawa Concours
2002 Kawa Concours
2002 Yama 650 V-Star Bobber
2004 Kawa Vulcan 800
2006 Kawa Vulcan 1600
2008 HD Sportster 1200
2009 HD Super Glide Custom
2014 Blue GL1800C
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 02:43 PM

Garage
I'm starting to think Honda put Dunlop up to making a new size tire for us and they agreed if they had rights to the manufacturing and supplying tires for the bike until cost of R&D was covered. Every other bike I've had it seems like everyone had a heads up on tire size so they could get a piece of the pie. I've got a call into AVON and I'm trying to get us a matched set of storms.
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 04:25 PM

Garage
Just got off the phone with A rep with AVON tires and quote this tire size 130/60R 19 is a hot button for them at AVON, it is in R&D with no ETA but he will keep me in the loop on development and when the tire will be available.
wgold9722 likes this.
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Not to be a downer, but they all say that! Unless the sales are up we won't get squat. I have no problem with the OE. I get off my ZX-10R and ride the Valkyrie aggressively. My problem is the price! And yes, it would be nice to have an option to use other manufacturers.
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bike Bandit has a Shinko 777 130/60 19 tire available. I have a friend who uses Shinko tires on his FJR1300. He rides that bike like he stole it and loves the grip and wear he gets out of them.
wgold9722 likes this.
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
There is plenty of Bias ply tires. Not radials.
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldstar903 View Post
There is plenty of Bias ply tires. Not radials.
Oops.. Didn't notice that....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page